Season in Review

4,887 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mmixon
mmixon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
16-13 going into the SEC Tourney with a 7-9 SEC Record is about what I had predicted for this Team. I said we would finish around 9th and we did. We didn't get the type of recruits we need to make this Team better next season. We will play Bama Thursday and if we win we face South Carolina Friday. Not very encouraging and I feel if we don't win the tourney the season will be over. I see the same for next year and it would take wholesale changes with this staff to see a change with this team. This just gets tougher to take every day. I have seen UGA with so much talent in the past. Now it looks like all the top player are going everywhere except UGA. Ole Miss who is at the bottom signed a McDonald's All American and it doesn't get any lower than that. I have heard that some of the Trustees aren't happy with what is going on, but will it be like Mark Fox. Tom Crean takes over the Men's Program and we break the attendance record the first year. And we have already set a new season record this year with one more home game with Florida. The Team will be better next year with the recruiting class and the returning players coming back next season even if Edwards doesn't return. There is interest in basketball at UGA if you bring in a winner. We did not sign a McDonald's All American the last decade. In women's basketball that didn't come out of the transfer portal which is really bad.
dawg212003
Georgia has the talent, what Georgia doesn't have is the staff that is knowledgeable about how to develop its players.
mmixon
After watching today, the talent is nowhere good enough for UGA to make a run to compete with the best in the NCAA. What I saw from today and yesterday is Alabama was big but slow. South Carolina is big, athletic and fast. It shows just how far UGA is from even thinking about final fours. We lost by 33 today, 34 at Baylor and 35 at home to South Carolina. I mean we lost at home to Georgia Tech by 33. This isn't getting better and I am not going to say wait till next year. We said wait till next year last year. Olivia Cochran to Louisville, T'ea Cooper at Baylor, Victaria Saxton at South Carolina, Olivia Nelson-Ododa at UConn and Jessika Carter at Miss State. When will we say enough is enough. We fired Mark Richt who won 10 games because he couldn't win the SEC and play for the National Championship. We kept Mark Fox 9 years and he never came close to getting to the SEC Title. I just want to see the Athletic Department commit to a winning culture for all sports. They just spent a bunch of money to get Scott Cochran from Bama to improve the Strength and Conditioning for the football team. They are paying Tom Crean over 3 million dollars to change the Basketball Team. If they had payed Tubby Smith half of that we might have a National Championship in basketball. Go out and get the best Coach money can buy for women basketball. I don't know what you all are saying, but I know what I feel. I am sick and tired of saying wait till next year. Because next year was last year.
bhdawg
We need some Miller twins and Harris es on the team. S Car 2 s would have beaten us at least 20 points today .
mmixon
I agree with you bhdawg, their bench players are better than our starters. Destanni Henderson, Victaria Saxton and Keke Herrigan all chose South Carolina when UGA recruited them. Coach Flou at Auburn, Newbaur at Florida, Taylor at UGA and Schafer who was fired last year at Richmond should tell us something. They all coached under Landers which means it time to go in a different direction. If this was football the wheels would already be in motion.
Tyree02
Mmixon,

I am struggling with a lot of things that you are identifying with your opinions because who a coach coached under. New Bauer also coached under Jeff Walz as well for a bit before he landed a job at Belmont. Tina Langley coached her in Athens and she is doing well at Rice. Coach Flo did well at Georgetown and had her club in the tourney last year. We all have had a boss that was not great and I will be damned if anyone tells me that I am like any of them, because I learned what not to be like under certain types of leaders. I am not a fan of Andy in the latter part of his career but he did a lot for this program. He just outstayed his time here. I agree something needs to happen but Joni won't be going anywhere after the current season. I think we all want what's best for our program and hopefully changes can be made to achieve that, because there is talent on the team. All this talk of McDonalds AA's is good but if you can't coach them, that point is moot. Look at what's happening a Tennessee. Do we discredit Pat Sunmitt for the coaches that coached under her as well? They have a team of them and they are still 7th best in the conference. Rhyne Howard, Angel McCoughtry, Tiffany Mitchell, etc were not McDonald AAs and they all had prosperous collegiate careers. Many will tell you that the AA game is so political and it is. There are numerous kids that get left off each year that were noticeably better than kids that landed on those rosters. Coaching makes a world of a difference and how one gets the most out of the talent that they have and placing your players in a position to be successful and complementing their strengths within your coaching schemes and play calling. We could have beat any team within the SEC not named South Carolina in this tourney with Staiti's elevated play. I do agree with you, in questioning how do we take the leap to the elite level? That is where I am with this. I want more as well, but I know that we aren't terrible as many would want to think that we are. Many of you forget sometimes that young kids are involved here. Forget the coaches for a minute, because without the kids that are on this team, we don't have one. It seems that they are the blunt of a lot of talk about lack of talent and it is a hit at them and that is very unfair!
mmixon
Tyree02, I have to disagree with you on that UGA would not beat Miss State, 2 losses during the regular season, Texas A M, 2 losses during the regular season, Tennessee with to much size, Kentucky with it's best player being one handed. Now Staiti is playing better, but every time I see her try to go to the basket with a player in front of her she ends up on the floor. That's very weak strength and conditioning. That needs to change, a top notch recruiter is needed and they need to target players with more size at every position. Now I agree that every player doesn't make successful and Tennessee has struggled but Kelly Harper is bringing Tennessee back. Year one is changing the way they do things and you will see the improvements next year. Joni is a decent coach but she is learning. Is she willing to make changes to her staff to make this Team better, I don't think so. So this Team will not be better next year to challenge for the SEC. But I will not be the one who she will answer to. Just like the situation with Mark Fox a couple of years ago, pressure was put on McGarity to do better. 18 wins last year and 17 this year. The norm use to be 20 wins and now it's around 30. Time is closer than a lot of people think.
bhdawg
Run a contract by the Louisville coach, or Fla state coach, they seem to know how to recruit and build a program.
dawg212003
I gave Joni a chance but some assistant coaches can't make it as a head coache. Look at Jolette Law. Coached 5 years at Indiana only 2 made the wnit. She is killing it at USC for Dawn.
mmixon
That's true Badboyoncampus01, we made the mistake of hiring Ron Jirsa after Tubby left for Kentucky and the Men's Team still hasn't recovered. Bhdawg, Jeff Walz might not want to come because our attendance is terrible compared to Louisville. They get Ten thousand on a bad night. But, I never thought Hugh Durham would leave FSU until Dooley made him an offer he couldn't refuse. There are a couple of names that I would add. Joanna Bernabei-McNamee, has a terrific resume and she was part of the Maryland National Championship Staff. She has rebuilt Boston College in two years and I would bring her entire staff which includes the great Yolanda Griffith. Her strength and conditioning coach is a good one also. The third candidate if I couldn't get the first two would be Niele Ivey, she played on a National Championship Team for Muppet McGraw and she has been a top assistant on Muppet Staff for 12 years and she can recruit out of this world. Those would be the candidates I would focus on.
dawg212003
I just don't see Georgia buying out Joni's contract. She got an extension. What 2 years ago?
mmixon
If UGA wanted to make a change, two years left on the contract wouldn't be a problem. The Football Team sells out every home game plus they have been in the SEC Championship Game the last three years. The Men's Basketball Team has had the best two years with attendance ever. So a couple of years wouldn't be a problem. But McGarity is an AD that does't takes risks so Joni is safe until next year. Although, McGarity will evaluate both the Men and the Women's Team after the Men's season ends.
dawg212003
There in lies the problem. The women's team isn't as profitable as the football nor the men's basketball team. So it's not a sport high on the list. Money is definitely the issue.
mmixon
Badboyoncampus01, South Carolina had only a few decent seasons before they hired Staley and now they fill up an 18 thousand seat arena. Miss State was a little bit better but they got Vic Shafer and they are up there with the other elite Teams as well. UGA dominated in Gymnastics with Yoculan, now the other schools made changes with their programs and now UGA is just one of the SEC schools. I have the UGA/Tennessee game from 2000 when we were both top 5. The Steg was sold out and there were other games that season we had great crowds. If you put a top notch program out there the Fans will come. The money is there to help all programs. The Boosters will support the Women's Basketball Team on any changes to make the school look good.
dawg212003
I'm not sure what those programs have to do with anything. With Greg being the AD there is no way Georgia forks over a large salary for the women's basketball program.
mmixon
Badboyoncampus01 I am telling you never say never. Mark Richt was 10 and 3 his last year at UGA and it was a lot of folks said he would never be fired but he was. Mark Fox was 19 and 15 in 2016, 18 and 15 in 2017 and he was fired as well. He never thought he would be but he was. Joni's record has been running almost the same. McGarity is feeling the pressure if it doesn't get a lot better next year changes will be made. I just used South Carolina and Miss State in the earlier post for the reason with the right hire the women's program would be able to take care of itself.
dawg212003
Believe me. I want nothing more than a fresh new start for the program. I just don't know if there is enough boosters to cause a change. All I am really trying to say is I don't think women's basketball is a top priority at Georgia.
mmixon
I understand what you are saying. Joni's salary, the assistants salary's, the money to run the program, believe me, it's a priority.
dawg212003
I think her buyout is around 2 million. Not sure if they would fork that over.
mmixon
Yeah, it's somewhere between a million and a half to 2 million. The Football Team really carries the entire Athletic Department. The program was saved at least 8 million when Mark Richt took the Miami job. The attendance the last two years has helped with Fox plus they might not owe him anything since he got the California job. It wouldn't be difficult at all to buy out 2 years.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.