Sad......Just sad

3,371 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dawg212003
dawg212003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This program is no where near where it used to be. If I were an Alumni I'm not sure I would be exactly happy. We are heading in the exact opposite direction we should be. We have no identity on this team. Each game we go on big droughts that end up causing us to lose. I wonder if this team is even coached. They don't look like they progress at all. I will say Jenna looks like she has really stepped up. But just as soon as she is basically our only offense she gets sat down. It's mind blowing.
mmixon
I agree with you Badboyoncampus01 and I don't see it getting any better next year. I know you can say we bring back all but two players and we add a couple of recruits next year. But South Carolina brings back almost everybody and including Aaliyah Boston who I think will be SEC Player of the year, Mississippi State brings back a lot, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Kentucky. All of them have better recruits coming in as well. I read in the Macon Telegraph that there is some people upset about the way things are. AD, Greg McGarity commented on the situation and for what I read into is he won't make changes this year no matter what. So we will go through this again next year and the program will hopefully not sink any lower. It makes me mad to see all the great talent leave the state for other schools. Kirby Smart changed that for football and now with the hiring of Tom Crean the basketball team is starting to upgrade recruiting. Joni and her staff is just not getting it done. Olivia Cochran going to Louisville, Anaya Boyd to Tech and Genesis Bryant to NC State. Those programs have experience coaching staffs who can recruit and that's what it will take to get UGA back among the elite.
dawg212003
I had really high hopes to start this season. Thought we had the talent to compete. I was so wrong. I don't see them buying out Joni's contract. Therefore she needs to start over with her whole staff. The girls look in bad shape physically and have no identity on the court. Staiti has been the lone bright spot the last few games. Something definitely needs to be shaken up.
mmixon
First thing is to make changes with the whole staff. Go to McGarity and ask for more money to attract better Assistant Coaches who are great recruiters. Second go out and find the best strength and conditioning coach money can buy and third get a budget that will send her coaches to Tennessee, Texas, California, Minnesota and New York. Then you cover those states as much as possible. She should have a coach in all parts of Georgia on a weekly basis and you can cherry pick Florida and the other southern states. She could also do a camp in South Georgia and invite kids from North Florida. The more kids she sees, the more relationships she will make. Nothing helps you evaluate a kid better than the eye test. The last thing Joni will have to do is let her team only have about 12 players just in case you might have some talented players who signs late and possible JC Players who blossom late during their sophomore year. Those would be the first things I would do.
dawg212003
I'm baffled at the coaching decisions. Your top scorer is taken out for nearly 5 minutes in the final quarter. Why?
ladyQdawg
You are not alone. Much of the substitution baffles me. We've blown several chances in close games with these changes that don't make any positive plays.

Watching some basic things on defense not being addressed and changed just blows my mind. Seeing our big post player follow her man out away from the basket and not be able to get back drives me nuts. Our opponents
have capitalized on that over and over for 2 seasons now, and we've not done anything to change it.
She needs to be near to basket to block shots and rebound.

We had some positive stretches, and they play hard. Jenna has made great strides on offense. I have seen good things from Isaacs. Would like to have seen her play more. Jones has a nice shot.
We still need more height and need lots of work on the basic skills.

Maybe Joni will make some changes with an assistant or assistants.
dawg212003
I agree. A change somewhere needs to happen. Staiti has really stepped up her game. I'm am impressed. She can't do it all though. They don't look to have good conditioning. Unless something changes next season will be much of the same.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.