What's your all-time favorite TV theme songs?

3,036 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Buckdawger
SoCalTrojanDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Having grown up and worked in Hollywood nearly all my life, I've a deep appreciation and love for many things about the industry that has surrounded me. One of the most endearing things to me about Hollywood was the music. There are MANY things about Hollywood that I loathe, disdain, and have no respect for today; however , I especially loved the music that I grew up around as a kid and, later, in high school.

There were many, many great TV theme songs written in the 1950's and 1960's. My favorites list is quite long. However, I'll limit it to four (I've edited and made it five -- I edited it again and now it's 10! No more!). I threw in four from the '70's and '80's that were special to me. None of them are in my order of preference except for #1, "Route 66".

1. "Route 66" by Nelson Riddle.

My personal all-time favorite TV show (followed by "Father Knows Best"). Probably the most famous TV theme song of all time---the song epitomized the '60's lifestyle of the California cruisin' scene like no other that eventually spread across the nation! First TV series ever to have a pre-planned series finale (a 2-hour, 2-week ending) and the only TV series to have EVERY episode filmed on location from California to Maine to Georgia & Florida and everywhere else in between. The real star of this show was the Chevrolet Corvette, a 1961 used in the first episode, and a 1964 used in the last, all convertibles. Chevrolet gave the producers a brand new car for use in the show every 5,000 miles. If the show had been filmed in color, you would have found that all the Corvettes were a muted gold or cream or pale colored (they photograph best in black & white) --- no bright reds, blues, etc., were used. Discover the U-S-A in your Chevrolet! Nothing else needs to be said!

2. "Theme from Star Trek" by Alexander Courage (1966-'69 series).

Variation and orchestral arrangement of the theme actually changed a bit from season 1 through to season 3 with a substantial change in the animated series---pay close attention!

3. "Hazel", music by the great Sammy Cahn and lyrics by the equally great, Jimmy Van Heusen.

"Who's the gal that's everybody's pal
It's Hazel
She's the one can make the sun begin to glow
The mailman, the grocer, and even school kids know
It's worth their while to stop and watch that smile
When Hazel, that Hazel
When Hazel, that Hazel
When Hazel says Hello"

4. "Lassie".

Specifically, the opening and ending theme music played beginning in the 5th season. It's simply titled, "Lassie Main & Ending Title". No other TV theme song touches my heart and brings tears to my eyes like this one!! This was written by Les Baxter, with the whistling done by Muzzy Marcellino (the best whistler in the business!). **The original "Lassie" theme song of 1954 was composed by William Lava, and was titled, "Secret of The Silent Hills".

Okay, I cannot leave this one off...I've come back and edited my post to add it.

5. "I Love Lucy". Lyrics and music by Harold Adamson and Eliot Daniel.

Next to "Route 66", the most famous of them all.

(Prelude -- rarely seen and heard lyrics)

There's a certain couple that I know.
They're strictly lovebirds,
A pair of turtle dove birds.
He's a guy who wants the world to know.
So ev'ry day
You'll hear him say

(What most everyone hears on the instrumentals)

I Love Lucy and she loves me,
We're as happy as two can be,
sometimes we quarrel but then... (ha ha ha)
How we love making up again.

Lucy kisses like no one can,
She's my missus and I'm her man;
And life is heaven you see
Cause I Love Lucy
Yes I Love Lucy
and Lucy loves me.

**Update**

6. Perry Mason

Wow, how could I've left this off...such a powerful, iconic tune, and one of the most famous of all.

7. NBC Mystery Movie Theme Song -- composed by the great, late Henry Mancini.

8. Theme from "Hotel"

Another great composition by Henry Mancini. I knew several of the cast members on this show, myself having worked @MGM Studios as a writer (and a few other things!).

Ahh, heck...I'll go make it a final top 10....

9. "WKRP in Cincinnati"

One of my absolute favorites! The show was based on the real-life events that happened at Atlanta's old radio station, WQXI-AM, one of the nation's most famous radio stations in the 1960's. Love this!

10. "Welcome Back, Kotter"

John Sebastian had no idea his tune would turn out to be so successful as it was. This particular tune brings back some of my most favorite memories while a student at UGA, as I was about to graduate and leave the school, campus, and city that I very fondly adopted in my heart as my "home".

Enjoy listening!

Cook Dawg
I'm not going to quote you, the internet might go down.

This could be an epic thread with all this great content, so forgive me for responding so quickly.

Where did Hawaii 5-0 end up? top 20?

Thx1
dawgpostsucks
A dozen of my favorite TV show theme songs:

1. 'Welcome Back, Kotter'

2. 'The Jeffersons'

3. 'Good Times'

4. 'The Greatest American Hero'

5. 'Hill Street Blues'

6. 'WKRP in Cincinnati'

7. 'Cheers'

8. 'Happy Days'

9. 'Sanford and Son'

10. 'The Twilight Zone'

11. 'Bewitched'

12. 'Mission Impossible'
Buckdawger
A horse is a horse, of course, of course, unless he's Mr. Ed.....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.