Television ratings for the NBA playoffs are down 30%

4,277 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dawgpostsucks
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
10 reasons why:

https://www.sportsbroadcastjournal.com/after-anticipation-of-the-nbas-returntv-ratings-fall-political-messaging-is-one-of-10-reasons-why/
JudgeLarryDawg
I'm watching same amount of NBA as always.
Dirteater Dawg
That's all?
Dean Legge
Staff
They are dramatically because they are playing playoff games on August afternoons.

I know folks want to believe everything is political. And sometimes it is.

Sometimes the calendar matters. Ask nascar.
Dirteater Dawg
Dean Legge said:

They are dramatically because they are playing playoff games on August afternoons.

I know folks want to believe everything is political. And sometimes it is.

Sometimes the calendar matters. Ask nascar.

The problem with Nascar is that it is nascar.
dawgpostsucks
Dean Legge said:

The article also stated:

• The playoffs are coming off a regular season where the league's numbers were already down (13% per Nielsen ratings prior to the league shutting down on 11 March). There's no wave of success to follow.
ahurst344
I'm watching when I can. It has basically turned into the stars taking over and trying to score 50 every night. The offensive performances have been impressive.

The timing of games and the general atmosphere of playing in what is essentially a dolled up high school gym are certainly negatives, but the actual basketball has still been good.

Interestingly enough, Game 7 of the Jazz-Nuggets series is on big ABC tonight. Trying hard to boost the ratings.

The match ups in the conference semis are shaping up to be exactly what I want to see.
Dean Legge
Staff
There's really no point in me dying on a hill here, but there are always any number of reasons metics go up or down. The golden state warriors not mattering this season was a huge issue.

You take away one of the most popular teams in the league - that's going to matter.

Tv for this entire year is going to be horrible. Nearly nothing is going to be up. Broadcast doesn't even have shows for the fall.

Sports have been trending down for some time now.

Is that exclusively because of activism?

No. But Clay Travis would tell you that's the case.

Then again, he's doing what sells for him: fighting ESPN, the nfl and the nba. That is what's made him the celebrity he is.

It's sad that is where things are. Every little thing is political.

Tv ratings are political. Sports tv ratings are a political pompom now.

Sad, but true.

Y'all everything isn't necessarily about politics. This has to be said.

Just because I wear a mask it doesn't mean you know who I am voting for. It also doesn't mean black helicopters are coming.

Just because nba ratings, or baseball or nascar - all of which I watch - are down doesn't mean it is because of social justice dynamics. Also, if this were simply about social justice one would think that "the other side" would watch it it more.

See how nuts that sounds?

It usually has to do with a slew or different things. Network. What time. What day.

Why does fox have a harder time getting a bigger number in college football?

A lot of different factors including the fact that across many part of the nation the local fox station still has the lowest bandwidth. Look up to fox stations in Augusta, Columbia, Charleston and so forth. They are tiny, and that hurts.

It all adds up.

We have to get back to nuance. We have to. There's too much screaming and disinformation.

The truth is the nba is down for a lot of different reasons. But the no. 1 reason they are off in this playoff vs last year is not that th warriors aren't there, or that no one cares about Toronto or Oklahoma City.

It's that they are playing these games on weekdays tipping at 1 pm.

It's what they had to do to get the season in.

The fact that there's a pandemic going on isn't helping anyone in media besides the three cable channels.

We've got to get back to nuance.

We have to. It might not be fun to work through things that way, but things aren't simply black and white. There is a ton of gray.
Firebrand
The games have been good but I have a hard time watching without the atmosphere. That was always huge for me.

I don't watch pro sports UNTIL the playoffs precisely because I want the intensity of play and atmosphere we get in college football every week.

I keep up with it but can't watch for more than 5 minutes. I think CFB needs to not allow fans to have a complete season. And I would probably end up not watching then either. But whatever saves the season is worth it.

Jeepsince1941
I am done with the NBA
Edward A Parker
Shelt320
Yep, me too. In fact I haven't watched a Falcons game in two year . In fact , I haven't watched a Hawks game in 6 years. As Dean said , sports of all types have a political undertone to them. I dislike politics involved in any sports. I firmly believe it will have a negative affect for years to come.
Bulldawg1
"Sometimes the calendar matters."

Agreed. A lot od people work in the day. Also, there are parents at home with kids doing digital learning, swimming pools are still open, etc. There is a LOT to compete with on August afternoons.
BoDawg
Dean Legge said:

There's really no point in me dying on a hill here, but there are always any number of reasons metics go up or down. The golden state warriors not mattering this season was a huge issue.

You take away one of the most popular teams in the league - that's going to matter.

Tv for this entire year is going to be horrible. Nearly nothing is going to be up. Broadcast doesn't even have shows for the fall.

Sports have been trending down for some time now.

Is that exclusively because of activism?

No. But Clay Travis would tell you that's the case.

Then again, he's doing what sells for him: fighting ESPN, the nfl and the nba. That is what's made him the celebrity he is.

It's sad that is where things are. Every little thing is political.

Tv ratings are political. Sports tv ratings are a political pompom now.

Sad, but true.

Y'all everything isn't necessarily about politics. This has to be said.

Just because I wear a mask it doesn't mean you know who I am voting for. It also doesn't mean black helicopters are coming.

Just because nba ratings, or baseball or nascar - all of which I watch - are down doesn't mean it is because of social justice dynamics. Also, if this were simply about social justice one would think that "the other side" would watch it it more.

See how nuts that sounds?

It usually has to do with a slew or different things. Network. What time. What day.

Why does fox have a harder time getting a bigger number in college football?

A lot of different factors including the fact that across many part of the nation the local fox station still has the lowest bandwidth. Look up to fox stations in Augusta, Columbia, Charleston and so forth. They are tiny, and that hurts.

It all adds up.

We have to get back to nuance. We have to. There's too much screaming and disinformation.

The truth is the nba is down for a lot of different reasons. But the no. 1 reason they are off in this playoff vs last year is not that th warriors aren't there, or that no one cares about Toronto or Oklahoma City.

It's that they are playing these games on weekdays tipping at 1 pm.

It's what they had to do to get the season in.

The fact that there's a pandemic going on isn't helping anyone in media besides the three cable channels.

We've got to get back to nuance.

We have to. It might not be fun to work through things that way, but things aren't simply black and white. There is a ton of gray.

Dean- you are missing the point though. The NBA and ESPN have chosen to make it political and they have chosen a hard line on the left.

Interesting that you choose to bash one of the few sports journalists that takes a stance on the right side politically. You don't like that he makes it political but you don't speak out against NBA players doing the same.

I get it and I have no problem with your political leanings, but NBA and ESPN have chosen politics. When you do that, you will have to listen to both sides
GoodDawg4733
1 PM weekday tips shouldn't be as big of a problem. There are still lots of travel restrictions for a multitude of companies. Is it ideal? No. But I bet more people are home at 1 PM on a Wednesday than in 2019.
dawgpostsucks
One would think that NBA fans who would have attended the games (regular season and playoffs) in person would instead be watching them from home.

Since at least 2012 Nielsen has included DVR viewing of TV shows within one day of airing in their ratings.

Since 2017 they have counted Hulu Live TV and YouTube TV streaming video of TV shows in their ratings.
dawgpostsucks
Nielsen will include out-of-home TV viewership to their national ratings:

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/solutions/capabilities/national-out-of-home-measurement/

https://www.outkick.com/out-of-home-viewership-in-nielsen-ratings-is-looming-gamechanger-in-sports-business/
gregbluefanclub
When did UGA join the NBA?
dawgpostsucks
gregbluefanclub said:

When did UGA join the NBA?
Former UGA guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is a starter for the Los Angeles Lakers (#1 seed in the playoffs).

Former UGA guard Anthony "Antman" Edwards is the projected #1 pick in the upcoming 2020 NBA Draft on 16 October.

dawgpostsucks
AirForceDawg said:

10 reasons why:

https://www.sportsbroadcastjournal.com/after-anticipation-of-the-nbas-returntv-ratings-fall-political-messaging-is-one-of-10-reasons-why/
ahurst344
I just don't get the "the NBA is too political stuff." They dribble and dunk basketballs.

They also happen to support social justice, which includes encouraging people to voice their opinions and to vote for their rights. Right vs left should not impact your stance on social justice - you are either for it or against it. If you are against it, I'm sorry to call you fellow Dawgs.

As an adult I can watch basketball because I enjoy basketball. As an adult I can also choose to NOT care what they write on their shoes or on the back of their jerseys. NBA basketball players do not and will not impact my political views. They are obviously humans and I respect them as humans, but for me personally they provide entertainment on a basketball court, period.

Lots of biting of noses to spite faces.
gregbluefanclub
ahurst344 said:

I just don't get the "the NBA is too political stuff." They dribble and dunk basketballs.

They also happen to support social justice, which includes encouraging people to voice their opinions and to vote for their rights. Right vs left should not impact your stance on social justice - you are either for it or against it. If you are against it, I'm sorry to call you fellow Dawgs.

As an adult I can watch basketball because I enjoy basketball. As an adult I can also choose to NOT care what they write on their shoes or on the back of their jerseys. NBA basketball players do not and will not impact my political views. They are obviously humans and I respect them as humans, but for me personally they provide entertainment on a basketball court, period.

Lots of biting of noses to spite faces.

Agree 100%.
CummingDawg22
Just to be clear -

Do you think the NBA supports social justice in general?

Or just social justice in America recently?

----

I think we all agree social justice is important. But just saying you support something, and actually supporting it are completely different.
ahurst344
My point was that is doesn't impact my feelings on whether I watch a game or not.

I can't say for sure that they do or do not truly support it. I believe the players most likely do and I would hope that the NBA does. They also have a marketing and profitability responsibility, so they could certainly just say what needs to be said to keep the money train rolling. That's not for me to decide.
ssidedawg
Football will be down too. The lack of fans and the dismantling of some traditions will make the fringe and moderate fans migrate away.

Let's be honest, game day in Athens will be weird. People can blame politics or social whatever, but this year in sports is surreal.
ssidedawg
Exactly
CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

Football will be down too. The lack of fans and the dismantling of some traditions will make the fringe and moderate fans migrate away.

Let's be honest, game day in Athens will be weird. People can blame politics or social whatever, but this year in sports is surreal.
This is true, but not really a good comparison.

NBA is literally having the exact same playoffs they would have had just without in person fans and games are at a different time. It stands to reason midday games should be lower in terms of viewership. The night games should not... I don't know how COVID has made people stop wanting to watch the NBA playoffs from their couch anymore than if there wasn't COVID.

You could compare games at similar times last year to games this year. Like how did Houston's game last night do in comparison to a first round game seven in years past?

I have no idea, and I don't care enough to look it up because it wouldn't be easy.
ssidedawg
I didn't say it was the same.
CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

I didn't say it was the same.
I didn't say you did.
dawgpostsucks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.