The entire UGA media ignored Herschel speaking at the RNC

3,605 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dawgpostsucks
DixieDawg02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hate all politics in sports. Let's get that out of the way. But it would've been interesting to see how it was covered if he spoke at the DNC or a BLM rally. I guess considering most of the guys covering UGA are liberal it isn't a shock but still a little surprising.
ssidedawg
Its not a "Georgia Football" story. So what were you looking for that every media outlet covering politics already covered? Or was this just a way to insert some BLM rant about "liberals"?

I didnt see any coverage of the DNC from Georgia Football sports writers either...weird!
CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

Its not a "Georgia Football" story. So what were you looking for that every media outlet covering politics already covered? Or was this just a way to insert some BLM rant about "liberals"?

I didnt see any coverage of the DNC from Georgia Football sports writers either...weird!
100%. I could never imagine sports writers covering anything but "sports" stories.

Oh weird, the top story on ESPN is https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29735483/lebron-james-says-black-community-terrified-result-police-conduct.

I recall ESPN being a big sports outlet... I could be wrong.
yearofthedawg
Glad Dean told us to keep the political commentary off the Porch, or else this would be yet another polarizing thread.
CummingDawg22
yearofthedawg said:

Glad Dean told us to keep the political commentary off the Porch, or else this would be yet another polarizing thread.
It is kind of odd that everything is polarizing now.

Most people would think the most famous UGA football player of all time speaking at a major party's presidential convention would get some coverage by UGA writers.

I'm not really sure how that is a topic of dispute. The DNC and RNC don't just roll out former athletes all the time. They sure don't roll out super famous UGA athletes. HW literally gets covered for anything and everything he does. You say one bad word about HW and its a sin for UGA fans.

Having any article (I'm not sure there isn't) about HW speaking at the RNC isn't controversial nor is questioning the lack of one. I didn't even know he spoke until I read this thread.

Further, we live in a world where politics is now 100% blended with sports. I mean, do you watch the NBA currently?
Dirteater Dawg
ssidedawg said:

Which UGA figure spoke at the DNC?
ahurst344
All aboard the train to the Back Porch
Fletcher Page
The ABH posted a short story with an embed of part of Walker's speech.

https://www.onlineathens.com/news/20200825/herschel-walker-endorses-trump-during-rnc-night-1
UticaDawg
Based on this message board post alone, I've decided to change my political ideology.
Dawg44
It's sad news that Herschel has sold his soul to Trump.
CummingDawg22
Dawg44 said:

It is pathetic that HW expressed the way he feels and not how others think he should.

How dumb would this sound the other way?

It's sad news that John Kasich has sold his soul to Biden.

Oh right... just as dumb.
Trackdawg073
I think the best player in Georgia history giving a speech at the RNC (or DNC for that matter) is probably worth a cursory shoutout on UGA sites. Similar to how Matt Stafford and Kirby's social justice fund was covered. But it's really not a huge story and should probably be low priority
CummingDawg22
Trackdawg073 said:

I think the best player in Georgia history giving a speech at the RNC (or DNC for that matter) is probably worth a cursory shoutout on UGA sites. Similar to how Matt Stafford and Kirby's social justice fund was covered. But it's really not a huge story and should probably be low priority
I think the bold is the exactly right.
Dirteater Dawg
Dawg44 said:

Come on man only one of his personalities did that? Don't cancel the other 6 because of it.
ssidedawg
It is weird that ESPN covered the most popular athlete in the world today who is currently playing in the NBA Playoffs over a football player who played in the early 1980s
CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

It is weird that ESPN covered the most popular athlete in the world today who is currently playing in the NBA Playoffs over a football player who played in the early 1980s
It's not an "NBA story"..... right?? So why would you be looking for sports media outlets to cover something that every media outlet covering politics already covered? Or was it just some way to insert Sside logic defending your position?

CNN, Fox, MSNBC had that topic pretty well covered I thought... Glad ESPN, a sports outlet, did cover a non-sports story as their #1 top story this morning.
StalkinDawg
Man I love Herschel Walker. He's got a great soul. Glad he spoke his mind.

"Some people don't like his style the way he knocks down obstacles that get in the way of his goals. People on opposing teams didn't like it when I ran right over them either but that's how you get the job done,"
I'm too ugly or something
Shelt320
Herschel can say whatever he wants to say. Everyone else does. Plus I DO NOT want to tell him to his face , he can not express himself.
The life of politics and sports. Need to come up with a name for this. Polysportlife ! Any suggestions?
dawgpostsucks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.