Alabama's President: "There is an unacceptable rise in + COVID cases on our campus"

4,277 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CummingDawg22
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://healthinfo.ua.edu/news/message-from-the-president-aug-23/
JudgeLarryDawg
Did Saban authorize the Alabama President's remarks?
jt10mc
I will say it again.

The more you test...the more people are around each other the more cases you will have.

What they aren't talking about is...is there a rise in hospitalizations and deaths?

Nope.

Also I question the data because I do know for a personal FACT that the way you are characterized as having this isn't uniformed and someone in your family can have symptoms and they will state your entire family has it and report it as such regardless if you do or don't.
Bulldawg1
Is it bc of the Covid parties going on in the loosa?
dawgpostsucks
jt10mc said:

I will say it again.

The more you test...the more people are around each other the more cases you will have.

What they aren't talking about is...is there a rise in hospitalizations and deaths?

Nope.

Also I question the data because I do know for a personal FACT that the way you are characterized as having this isn't uniformed and someone in your family can have symptoms and they will state your entire family has it and report it as such regardless if you do or don't.
In the NFL there were 77 false positive COVID-19 test results on Saturday. That makes me wonder if those #s were reported to the government and included in the nation's overall case counts. Or were they nixed?

yearofthedawg
ssidedawg
First documented case of reinfection reported today.
HBGDawg
jt10mc said:

I will say it again.

Nope.

Got into an argument with a friend of mine who was upset that there was a 24% rise in COVID cases reported. In the same news clipping it was reported there was a 4 in 100,000 chance of dying of COVID in Ga. My point was "we are all going to be infected someday and if the chance of dying is 4 in 100,000 I would be worried about the 860 in 100,000 chance of dying from Cancer or some other cause. The conversation didn't end well.
ColonialDawg
PCR tests need to stop. They should not be performed on asymptomatic individuals.

dawgpostsucks
dawgpostsucks
ColonialDawg
ssidedawg said:

And he was asymptomatic. So cellular immunity does work after all.
ssidedawg
ColonialDawg said:

ssidedawg said:

All we know is his second case was milder and it can be contracted again. It was a slightly different virus nucleotide sequence.

What we dont know is whats the contagiousness of the disease second go round. Thats important if people who had it think they wont get it and do.... again. Thats important if your underlying condition has worsened and/or you give it to someone else unknowingly as you think you are immune.

Also, asymptomatic is great for the host, but far more dangerous for the population. No one would go to work, church, or a football game with a high fever, but they would if they felt "great".

dawgpostsucks
ColonialDawg
ssidedawg said:

ColonialDawg said:

ssidedawg said:

All we know is his second case was milder and it can be contracted again. It was a slightly different virus nucleotide sequence.

What we dont know is whats the contagiousness of the disease second go round. Thats important if people who had it think they wont get it and do.... again. Thats important if your underlying condition has worsened and/or you give it to someone else unknowingly as you think you are immune.

Also, asymptomatic is great for the host, but far more dangerous for the population. No one would go to work, church, or a football game with a high fever, but they would if they felt "great".

That's what immunity is. Do you think T-cells and B-cells create a forcefield around you, preventing re-infection? I read the case report. The patient was asymptomatic. There will be some who will get reinfected and experience symptoms (like the guy in Nevada). But this is uncommon despite the media acting like it's a novel thing. Immunity is not homogeneous. You get reinfected with coronaviruses that cause the common cold every year

Asymptomatic carriers are way overhyped by the way. 90% of PCR tests pick up insignificant levels of virus. Many are also false positive too. That means most positive tests are bogus.
ssidedawg
ColonialDawg said:

ssidedawg said:

ColonialDawg said:

ssidedawg said:

That's what immunity is. Do you think T-cells and B-cells create a forcefield around you, preventing re-infection? I read the case report. The patient was asymptomatic. There will be some who will get reinfected and experience symptoms (like the guy in Nevada). But this is uncommon despite the media acting like it's a novel thing. Immunity is not homogeneous. You get reinfected with coronaviruses that cause the common cold every year

Asymptomatic carriers are way overhyped by the way. 90% of PCR tests pick up insignificant levels of virus. Many are also false positive too. That means most positive tests are bogus.
LOL......You saw one analysis from Massachusetts and made that blanket statement? Even the pessimistic doctor who analyzed that data deems it worthy of discussion on testing sensitivity. He also said we arent testing the right people. So even he thinks testing is valuable, just not focused properly. Also, newly infected people have a low viral load, thats why testing was/is so specific.

Keep latching on to one piece of data and using it for your arguments. Meanwhile the World is figuring this thing out while we bungle through it.
dawgpostsucks
>1,200 University of Alabama students and 641 Georgia Tech students have tested positive for COVID-19:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1200-students-test-positive-covid-19-major-university/story?id=72699871

As of Saturday, more than 1,200 students and 166 employees and staff have tested positive for COVID-19 at the University of Alabama.
CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

ColonialDawg said:

ssidedawg said:

ColonialDawg said:

ssidedawg said:

LOL......You saw one analysis from Massachusetts and made that blanket statement? Even the pessimistic doctor who analyzed that data deems it worthy of discussion on testing sensitivity. He also said we arent testing the right people. So even he thinks testing is valuable, just not focused properly. Also, newly infected people have a low viral load, thats why testing was/is so specific.

Keep latching on to one piece of data and using it for your arguments. Meanwhile the World is figuring this thing out while we bungle through it.
I keep hearing people say this.

What is the rest of the world doing that the United States isn't? Can we get examples?

I guess one is locking down the entire country like NZ?
ssidedawg
Mask mandates

Mandated social distancing.

Its September tomorrow and the POTUS still wont mandate masks.

People in America either do the right thing, businesses require or only some governments require retsrictions. Its a hodge podge approach. Heck, just recently, our Governor was going to sue Atlanta for COVID mandates. Thats F'ed up.

Other countries did far more far sooner. It wasnt some elective and/or random enforcement. They spiked in April May (as did the US) and then we actually are worse in late summer. No excuse.
ssidedawg
Look at daily deaths as thats most critical and takes out the whole testing rabbit hole debate some engage in:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Find a developed 1st World country that looked this bad after July when virtually every fact needed was known and time to implement given.

CummingDawg22
What countries? Is it a national mask mandate? Is it in all public spaces? When did they mandate them?

How did they enforce these mandates?

How did they enforce social distancing?

Or are you saying the populations just did it because it was right?
ssidedawg
Almost all of Western Europe and developed Asia hasnt seen the deaths peak summer as it did in spring. See the graphs on link.

Forget enforcement of masks and distancing. How about make it a policy, wear a mask yourself if you are the POTUS, etc. Maybe dont cram 10 people on a stage for a COVID update? Visuals are huge and words matter. Those countries did the basic things and in some cases more. Wearing a mask shouldnt be dependent on your Party affiliation or if you are fearless/paranoid. Its September now and we still have folks who dont know **** about medicine or stats splitting hairs and questioning everything. Heck, a LOT of people think its political or some Trump vendetta. Thats the stupidity of America, its all about us. The virus kills humans.

No excuse for a country this developed to be this ignorant. Well, maybe those education stats saying we are woefully behind the developed World are true.......
CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

Almost all of Western Europe and developed Asia hasnt seen the deaths peak summer as it did in spring. See the graphs on link.

Forget enforcement of masks and distancing. How about make it a policy, wear a mask yourself if you are the POTUS, etc. Maybe dont cram 10 people on a stage for a COVID update? Visuals are huge and words matter. Those countries did the basic things and in some cases more. Wearing a mask shouldnt be dependent on your Party affiliation or if you are fearless/paranoid. Its September now and we still have folks who dont know **** about medicine or stats splitting hairs and questioning everything. Heck, a LOT of people think its political or some Trump vendetta. Thats the stupidity of America, its all about us. The virus kills humans.

No excuse for a country this developed to be this ignorant. Well, maybe those education stats saying we are woefully behind the developed World are true.......
So really this is just a Trump thing?

Florida has more people than New York. You'd say it hasn't "peaked" but it would need to triple the deaths to match New York. How did you feel about the two responses when comparing them? Did the President influence this?

You know that mask mandates for most European countries were just public transit until like July right? Only two have nation wide mask mandates.

So again, I'm just asking for actionable examples from the other countries you spoke about that make sense. Not a rant against Trump and masks being a political issue.

I'd really be interested in how you feel about the New York response and why it was good/bad/neutral. Because statistics show it was the worst, arguably in the entire world.

Also, you do realize that this type of irrational response, not based in statistics or science, is exactly why masks are seen by people as a political issue, right?
ssidedawg
CummingDawg22 said:

ssidedawg said:

Florida has more people than New York. You'd say it hasn't "peaked" but it would need to triple the deaths to match New York. How did you feel about the two responses when comparing them? Did the President influence this?

You know that mask mandates for most European countries were just public transit until like July right? Only two have nation wide mask mandates.

So again, I'm just asking for actionable examples from the other countries you spoke about that make sense. Not a rant against Trump and masks being a political issue.

I'd really be interested in how you feel about the New York response and why it was good/bad/neutral. Because statistics show it was the worst, arguably in the entire world.

Also, you do realize that this type of irrational response, not based in statistics or science, is exactly why masks are seen by people as a political issue, right?

Its a POTUS thing. If Obama or Bush were POTUS and they did the exact same thing.....it would be the same. I missed my "Trump rant".

The United States is my focus here. I am not diving in some Florida/NY rabbit hole.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/countries-wearing-face-masks-compulsory-200423094510867.html
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/27/europe/germany-face-mask-mandatory-grm-intl/index.html
*England was late but they also have abysmal numbers like the US and Brazil, so.....

If my statements make it a political issue, its because of your bias to think everything is political. Now everything is financial, but most are too busy staring at the tree to see the forest.
CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

CummingDawg22 said:

ssidedawg said:

Its a POTUS thing. If Obama or Bush were POTUS and they did the exact same thing.....it would be the same. I missed my "Trump rant".

The United States is my focus here. I am not diving in some Florida/NY rabbit hole.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/countries-wearing-face-masks-compulsory-200423094510867.html
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/27/europe/germany-face-mask-mandatory-grm-intl/index.html
*England was late but they also have abysmal numbers like the US and Brazil, so.....

If my statements make it a political issue, its because of your bias to think everything is political. Now everything is financial, but most are too busy staring at the tree to see the forest.
It's not a rabbit hole. It's a real conversation if you want to blame Trump. They are two of America's largest states with drastically different outcomes. You would think someone with your position would care about the response differences and the outcomes... I get it doesn't fit the narrative you are pushing, but again this is why people don't take things seriously.

If you think Trump has blame in a serious way It matters because New York 100% did not listen to Trump and actually, multiple times, said they don't want his help.

As for the original converastion before you derailed it with Trump hate, let's talk the rest of the world.

I know you are a fire from the hip guy, but did you read your articles?

CNN article on Germany... does this sound like anywhere you may know of or possibly live? -

"Germany has a decentralized system, and the federal government cannot force states into lockdowns or make masks compulsory. But the states all separately made laws making masks a requirement, even though the details vary. In most states, people are required to cover their mouths and noses while taking public transport or when going into stores."

The Alijazeera gives very broad statements.

Again, Germany -

"On April 22, Germany became the latest European country to make the wearing of face masks compulsory when on public transport and while shopping in all of its 16 states"

France -

"On May 10, France made the use of face masks in public mandatory, as the country is set to emerge from its coronavirus lockdown the following day." -- How is this enforced? Is it everywhere?

When you look into France at all you find --

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/france-face-masks-coronavirus/2020/05/09/6fbd50fc-8ae6-11ea-80df-d24b35a568ae_story.html
"People are required to wear masks in high schools and on public transportation or risk being fined. Shopkeepers also have the right to ask customers to wear masks or to leave ."

Is that so different than here?

You are the one who brought up the rest of the Western world, but its clear you don't really know anything about what other countries did. It just sounds good.

If you were really trying to solve a problem, you wouldn't even be at a starting point. Clearly, I know you aren't in a position to solve that problem, but you play one on the message board so I like to entertain it.

ssidedawg
Well, you have the narrative. You seem very upset that anyone question a POTUS who has clearly bungled the pandemic.

If we break down Florida vs New York then we have to break down Venice vs Rome, London vs. Norwich.

Other equivalent nations at least asked people to do more sooner. That's a fact. Our POTUS has worn a mask 2 maybe 3 times, ever. That's weird. Yet he is tested daily...lol.

ssidedawg
Also, I dont have to say much of anything. Just count the dead bodies per 100,000 and tell me the great job we did. Forget money, politics whatever. We f'ed it up.

So chalk me up as unimpressed with Trump.
CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

Well, you have the narrative. You seem very upset that anyone question a POTUS who has clearly bungled the pandemic.

If we break down Florida vs New York then we have to break down Venice vs Rome, London vs. Norwich.

Other equivalent nations at least asked people to do more sooner. That's a fact. Our POTUS has worn a mask 2 maybe 3 times, ever. That's weird. Yet he is tested daily...lol.

Haha I'm not upset to question Trump. I never brought Trump up. I'm not sure how Trump not wearing a mask made New York drastically worse than Florida. You seem to think it did?

Regardless, you pointed to the rest of the world. I responded by asking what they did we that we didn't. You went into a Trump narrative.

This is just such a dumb comment it has to be addressed -

"If we break down Florida vs New York then we have to break down Venice vs Rome, London vs. Norwich."

You know that Jacksonville to NYC is roughly 950 miles. London to Norwich is 117. London to anywhere in England is 200ish miles. London to Munich is 705. London to Rome is 1,100.

So I guess you wouldn't compare European countries to other European countries? Just group them all in one, right?

I think you'd probably breakdown different policies over large geographical areas to see which work and which didn't.

Considering New York and Florida had drastically different results with drastically different policies in drastically different geographical locations it might behoove someone to look at the circumstances.

But who cares, right?

---

Still, to the original point of yours -

You still haven't shown what the Western world did that we didn't and how it has contributed to this spike.
CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

Also, I dont have to say much of anything. Just count the dead bodies per 100,000 and tell me the great job we did. Forget money, politics whatever. We f'ed it up.

So chalk me up as unimpressed with Trump.
I have really bad news for you, again. We didn't do nearly as bad as you are pretending.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Italy, UK, Spain, Sweden, Belgium are higher.

Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland are lower.

So I guess we fall in the middle of Europe. With a country that is drastically larger. If you take out New Jersey and New York the numbers are a lot different for us. Those seem to be states where no one could argue Trump F'd it up.

So are you mad at those democratic Governors? I don't see you throwing out Cuomo who has been photographed in public with a mask.

We are also testing and a much higher rate and have a lower case-fatality than those countries.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.