Cherokee County Schools Closed

3,587 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Gasdawg
cantonk9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unbelievable...

CornDawg, Feel free to tear me apart. I've earned it.

thedogfather
I have family there spread between three schools as employees and students. All are now under quarantine. Just a s--- situation.
CummingDawg22
Not sure how this could surprise anyone.

The current environment for COIVD is zero tolerance.* Obviously, schools are going to have kids and staff test positive. Even with a vaccine I don't see how we go back unless people change their mindset on COVID. A good % of the US population will not take the vaccine.

*This does not apply to events which are deemed more important than public health.
CornDog
Thanks Canton, but I won't gloat. We all want and need some good news. This year has been brutal
PurpleBrave
The entire school system?
jt10mc
cantonk9 said:

Unbelievable...

CornDawg, Feel free to tear me apart. I've earned it.

You know every school year...I get a little crud or even slightly sick (I am pretty impervious to most viruses etc...).
Kids for the most part (yes the stats bear this out) are fine...99% of who get this FULLY RECOVER.

Fear and loathing...

The only way through this is through this.

What is the alternative? Stay home in perpetude? and never interact with people?
cantonk9
The way it went down was like this...

I was on a call and heard expletives coming from my wife in the kitchen. I dropped the call to go check and she had her head in her hands and said all of Cherokee County Schools were closed. Etowah was closed earlier in the day but now it's the entire county.

Then, she went looking for the Chardonnay and I went looking for the Scotch.

One week in. Why even open up?

What are we going to do?
PurpleBrave
CummingDawg22 said:

The current environment for COIVD is zero tolerance.* Obviously, schools are going to have kids and staff test positive. Even with a vaccine I don't see how we go back unless people change their mindset on COVID. A good % of the US population will not take the vaccine.

*This does not apply to events which are deemed more important than public health.

Been saying this since March.
cantonk9
I should've just kept my big mouth shut...
CornDog
Do you think kids live on a magical island by themselves? They can and will spread it to the rest of their household. What about the workers at the school?
jt10mc
CornDog said:

Do you think kids live on a magical island by themselves? They can and will spread it to the rest of their household. What about the workers at the school?
Ha!

Did you miss the part where I wrote about getting sick every school year? Can you tell me the % of this virus transmitted from kids to adults?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/07/200710100934.htm

Moreover - my son has played basketball and trained since BEFORE this and never stopped. On average there are 30-50 kids participating. for the last 5 months..there have been...drumroll....

ZERO cases.

Zero.

So exactly what are you saying?
cantonk9
Quick update...

Etowah is officially shut down & others are under consideration.

Apologies for the drama. Dean, anything we can do to adjust my stupid headline?

Or just move the whole thread to the BP?
StalkinDawg
I could change it to Cantonk9's panties are in a wad...story at 6

Hows that?
I'm too ugly or something
ColonialDawg
People are having irrational responses to positive tests. I mean what were they expecting? How many are actually sick?
cantonk9
All of our pets heads just fell off!
CornDog
CummingDawg22 said:

It can be done. New Zealand just had their first community spread case in over a hundred days.

I personally think the zero tolerance is in response to how easy it is to transmit this thing. 6 of my wife's 10 co-workers all caught it, and some work in other buildings with somewhat limited contact with each other. The families of these people also got sick and probably additional people that I don't know about. Thankfully I believe only one required hospitalization. One person caused that and was at a small business. That really opened my eyes in how fast and easily it can spread. If it can so it in that setting I can only imagine how easy it would be for it go through a school.
Bulldawg1
"*This does not apply to events which are deemed more important than public health."
Bulldawg1
There is another school about to shutdown for 2 weeks - no group/team allowed in or out for anything during that time.
ahurst344
Having the senior class take a picture in front of the school with arms around each other WASN'T a good idea?????

cantonk9
cantonk9
My Cherokee County Insider cred is getting destroyed...

All my hard work flushed down the toilet in a matter of a few days?

CornDog
jt10mc said:

CornDog said:

Ha!

Did you miss the part where I wrote about getting sick every school year? Can you tell me the % of this virus transmitted from kids to adults?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/07/200710100934.htm

Moreover - my son has played basketball and trained since BEFORE this and never stopped. On average there are 30-50 kids participating. for the last 5 months..there have been...drumroll....

ZERO cases.

Zero.

So exactly what are you saying?

For one how old are the children in their study? From my understanding there can be a big difference between someone under say 10 and someone between 11-18. It doesn't seem like we have enough data to definitely say kids are unlikely to transmit it. It wasn't all that long ago that a few early studies were being used to tout
hydroxychloroquine and we see how that has aged.

https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/childrens-health/why-relationship-between-kids-and-spread-of-covid-remains-unclear

https://www.wsj.com/articles/latest-research-points-to-children-carrying-transmitting-coronavirus-11596978001

Lamar
cantonk9 said:

Quick update...

Etowah is officially shut down & others are under consideration.

Apologies for the drama. Dean, anything we can do to adjust my stupid headline?

Or just move the whole thread to the BP?
Dang. Now you're asking to be Backporched again so soon after your first venture to the other side?

How much scotch have you had?
jt10mc
From 10 to 16...
cantonk9
Hahahaha

If I'm going BackPorch I'll need way more than this...
ColonialDawg
Here are excess deaths due to COVID grouped by age using CDC data:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/dataviz8737#!/vizhome/COVID_excess_mort_withcauses_08052020/WeeklyNumberByAge

https://data.cdc.gov/widgets/nr4s-juj3

CummingDawg22
CornDog said:

CummingDawg22 said:

It can be done. New Zealand just had their first community spread case in over a hundred days.

I personally think the zero tolerance is in response to how easy it is to transmit this thing. 6 of my wife's 10 co-workers all caught it, and some work in other buildings with somewhat limited contact with each other. The families of these people also got sick and probably additional people that I don't know about. Thankfully I believe only one required hospitalization. One person caused that and was at a small business. That really opened my eyes in how fast and easily it can spread. If it can so it in that setting I can only imagine how easy it would be for it go through a school.
New Zealand has 4.4 million people with only one city over a million people. I see because of 4 cases they are shutting down their largest city - https://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-zealand-moves-fast-to-lock-down-auckland-after-surprise-covid-outbreak-following-weeks-of-no-cases-2020-08-11 for four days.... Why four days? So confusing.

I have no idea what New Zealand has done to stop COVID. However, if it is the gold standard, 100 days free seems to be, why is no one else in the world following their protocols?

Can you explain how New Zealand accomplished this in concrete terms?

Also, they have a total of 1.5k cases. Obviously, they were doing a good job of stopping COVID before they even knew they needed to stop COVID.
Gasdawg
Early border closures, quick to isolate and quarantine, masks, contact tracing, and (most importantly) a population willing to put up with the measures.

And being a small island nation didn't hurt.
CummingDawg22
Gasdawg said:

Early border closures, quick to isolate and quarantine, masks, contact tracing, and (most importantly) a population willing to put up with the measures.

And being a small island nation didn't hurt.

When did they do these things and how?

Just a simple example -

Did they truly close down all travel to NZ? When did they do this? Is it still happening?

I think the population willing to put up with the measures is the most important. If one really believes in the border closures.... well that's not gonna fly in America. As you know, when the travel ban was suggested early on it was met with tons of people resisting it. The same people who now fear COVID the most it seems.
Gasdawg
3/15 closed borders. Any citizen returning had a 14-day quarantine. This article sums up other details...

https://www.dw.com/en/jacinda-ardern-leadership-in-coronavirus-response/a-53733397
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.