Anyone purposing a Spring Season

2,699 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ssidedawg
hmwood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is absolutely stupid or dishonest. Let's play it out. If we wait for a spring season you are waiting on a vaccine I assume. Reports are a vaccine is at the earliest Jan. A vaccine takes 2-4 weeks for full immunity. So at the earliest we are talking practice starting 1st to 2nd week in February. So at the earliest season starts mid March? This is best case. So the media and others that pedaling hope of a spring season are disingenuous or not really thinking. Also fall 2021 will more than likely look a lot like fall of 2020. Time to make it work or stop football all together. This is the new normal COVID isn't going anywhere better figure out how to live with it being part of society.
Dean Legge
Staff
Well it might stop for this year

That's a very real thing right now.
Trackdawg073
Exactly, at this point people still saying everyone needs to cancel everything is just being dishonest and sowing fear and confusion. Not looking at facts. For College football players, they are more likely to die in a car accident going to the game than of the virus. Playing IS NOT unsafe. Not only that, but any medical surveillance and car is much better on campus than off. I don't understand why some in the media, looking at you Dan Wolken, have made it their life's mission to get this season canceled.
PurpleBrave
I have a feeling in my gut that college sports are done until fall 2021... or longer
Bulldawg1
I have that same feeling. It's very sad. I think there are too many people involved who don't want it to happen. Players and coaches want to play for the most part. Others may not let it happen.
cantonk9
Thanks for ruining my night. I need a Scotch, neat please
hmwood
If we don't play this fall it might be a few years. Until we get to the point we can stomach positive test and outbreaks we will not play college football again.
cantonk9
This is nuts! How did this all go south so quickly? Is the MAC this influential?
ColonialDawg
cantonk9 said:

This is nuts! How did this all go south so quickly? Is the MAC this influential?

Dirteater Dawg
Let's all stay home and lock our doors until the world is germ free.
cantonk9
This is the best we can do 6 months in?
ssidedawg
I just came here to read the obligatory nonsense by one poster. I wasn't disappointed

I hope they play but if they don't for safety, I get it. They are unpaid college students. Not here strictly for your pleasure.

ssidedawg
They can still die in a car accident. You do realize that its not either?
Jeepsince1941

Edward A Parker
Jeepsince1941
The CDC facts prove other wise.
Edward A Parker
ssidedawg
This is from the CDC (meme's made by a person never really impress me):

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

We are north of 5M positive cases now and 162,000+ deaths. The "New cases by day" graph is worth a look see. We made the horrible April laughable in a sad way. Its trending down now, but school just went back/going back so I regretfully predict another spike.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

I would be shocked to see football played at this point. Cases rising, no cure, no vaccine, etc. You can rationalize it all you want, but this disease takes lives. It aint the flu.

Trackdawg073
Virtually none of what you said is true. Cases are falling and have been for two weeks, we now have drugs (dexmethasone, monoclonal antibodies, techniques like proning) which can reduce mortality by as much as 50%, or in other words, more effective than tamiflu is for the flu. Hospitalizations in Georgia are down over 10% from peak and 30% in Arizona. Comparing our case loads to April is absolutely stupid, because we are doing litterally 15 times the tests today then yesterday, scaling based on testing positivity rate, we would have been reporting 600,000 cases per day in April, when litterally 60% of tests were coming back positive, compared to ~8% today, according to Bloomberg. . Not only that, but for the demographic in question (<25), the fatality rate is less than the flu and comparable to driving 20 miles in a car on any given day (that's according to a study from Stanford). If we cancel this season, it won't be to protect kids health, it won't be because covid poses a major threat, it will be because the media disingenuously reports falsehoods and promotes panic and university presidents have no backbone to stand up to horse manure like this.
ssidedawg
Trackdawg073 said:

Virtually none of what you said is true. Cases are falling and have been for two weeks, we now have drugs (dexmethasone, monoclonal antibodies, techniques like proning) which can reduce mortality by as much as 50%, or in other words, more effective than tamiflu is for the flu. Hospitalizations in Georgia are down over 10% from peak and 30% in Arizona. Comparing our case loads to April is absolutely stupid, because we are doing litterally 15 times the tests today then yesterday, scaling based on testing positivity rate, we would have been reporting 600,000 cases per day in April, when litterally 60% of tests were coming back positive, compared to ~8% today, according to Bloomberg. . Not only that, but for the demographic in question (<25), the fatality rate is less than the flu and comparable to driving 20 miles in a car on any given day (that's according to a study from Stanford). If we cancel this season, it won't be to protect kids health, it won't be because covid poses a major threat, it will be because the media disingenuously reports falsehoods and promotes panic and university presidents have no backbone to stand up to horse manure like this.

What did I say that isnt true? My CDC and Hopkins links? Thats there isnt a cure or vaccine? That athletes dont have to provide you entertainment while increasing their chances of dying? Do tell....

We dont have a cure! Show me that 50% data because all the recent data refutes all of that.

Deaths are rising and we have more deaths per day than April. Spare me that tests argument, you sound like our POTUS and his nonsensical graphs.

All your fatality data you keep harping on assumes you eliminate another cause of death. COVID is a new additional possibilty for cause of death in addition to cars, cancer, etc.

So unless you know more than the teams of MD's and PhD's who KNOW that data and dont do meta-analysis from internet articles, just stop pretending you know more. There isnt anyone with knowledge with near the definitive statements you keep quoting as fact.

Backbone and testosterone type comebacks are for the playground, not medicine. The media? You should spend a few days in a hospital with people dying and tell them the media is making these people die..its all fear and CNN. Nothing more.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.