Best 30 for 30***

3,297 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JudgeLarryDawg
Matt DeBary
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Which ESPN 30 for 30 series is your favorite?

The SMU death penalty doc was great. Just wild stuff. That's one most of y'all would like if you haven't seen it.

Reggie Miller against the Knicks was a classic. One of their shorter films.

The Marcus Dupree "Best that never was" film was really good. I didn't know that much about him before I saw that.

The one about the Dallas Carter HS football team from the late 80s or so was insane. Maybe the craziest one I've seen.

Red Sox/Yankees 2004 ALCS episode was fantastic. I remember watching all those games in high school.

Do you have a favorite? I'm sure I'll go back and watch a few of them in the next few weeks.
Dean Legge
Staff
Think the Miami one was great.
Dean Legge
Staff
And the Sox-Yankees one was great

The earlier ones have been better than the ones of late.
Dawg44
The one about Bobby Knight.
Gasdawg
I'm partial to the Hershel one. Bo was a good one, too.

Can't recall the episode name, but the one with the OJ situation unfolding around big events in other major sports was very good.
Lamar
I guess my favorite is the one on Vick. Dude went from a unique talent, to being almost universally despised over the shocking details about the extreme animal abuse, and after his return was never fully accepted back into the NFL fold by many.

He had the world in his fingertips and threw it all away.

I believe it two episodes to cover it.
Ugadukefan
Marcus Dupree 30 for 30 was the best for me by far. I didn't know who he was or anything about him prior to watching. He was honestly just as good as Herschel and Bo. The kid was LEGIT! He really could've been something special. He was that good.
hmwood
The Nature Boy one was great too
Klc71
Loved most mentioned here. Also love the one on Christian Laettner.
Dean Legge
Staff
The lateneer one was quite good
BCC5723
The SMU one was great
Dean Legge
Staff
BCC5723 said:

The SMU one was great

It was
Loso11
I have to say the Miami and Deions.
MillsAlpha112
Miami was the best one.
Dirteater Dawg
I enjoyed those and...

Fab Five
Bad Boys
Celtics/Lakers
Caymandawg
Celtic/Lakers was good. Full contact basketball
Klc71
I think the one on Carter High in Dallas was my overall favorite.
dawgpostsucks
xJunkYardDawGx
not a 30 for 30 but the sean Taylor one is so good
Matt DeBary
Staff
Klc71 said:

I think the one on Carter High in Dallas was my overall favorite.

That one was crazy. What a giant waste of talent.
DawgInTexas
The Fab 5 one on Michigan was great. I was in middle school then and the baggy shorts and all-around swag of that team changed basketball and culture. Where everything stands with Rose and Webber and the whole thing is just crazy to me. Love that episode and always watch it when it's in
Klc71
After this thread earlier, I was bored so got I Hate Laetner on demand.

Damn I love that dude.
Wallace3037
The "U"
Pony Excess
The Best that never was
LowIq
dupree had it all.....if his "posse" had stayed out of it they would have gotten all the stuff they wanted.....he was herschel walker without positive adult guidance.

when ever i see a kid being recruited now and start hearing about a out of the picture dad who shows up when he is a senior...or an "uncle" or "mentor" or the like i think about him........several years ago when trenton thompson was being recruited and a coach on his high school staff was trying to use him to get a job at auburn me and oldboy talked about it at a combine he was at........first time we both had met him......in valdosta.......

we have a kid on our roster now that i was afraid his "dad" was going to screw him over but thankfully his mom who raised him alone put her foot down.
opiedawg
Ugadukefan said:

Marcus Dupree 30 for 30 was the best for me by far. I didn't know who he was or anything about him prior to watching. He was honestly just as good as Herschel and Bo. The kid was LEGIT! He really could've been something special. He was that good.

Oklahoma basically getting him because they got his mama a double-wide.
BrewDawg
I'll throw out an early, underrated one that has always stuck with me.

Guru of Go

This was great just from a basketball standpoint but the part that always sticks with me is the Hank Gathers part. I was 16 years old and really starting to get into the NCAA tournament. The 1990 Loyola Marymount team was fun to watch. Although that was a time you couldn't watch all of the games, SportsCenter constantly showed their highlights so I started following them. I would check box scores in the paper to see how they did each day and became as familiar as I could with Gathers and Bo Kimble. I also remember early that evening when he collapsed and died during the WCC sem-final. I was so excited about being able to watch the WCC Championship game that would have been the next night. That game being televised was not the norm back then. I can still remember the shock when it all happened.

I watched every second of the NCAA tournament I could that year and didn't miss any of the LMU games until they lost in the Elite Eight. In the documentary, the moment when everyone discusses him going down and losing his life, you can see the pain that was still there. One of those things I won't forget.
Ugadukefan
opiedawg said:

Ugadukefan said:

Oklahoma basically getting him because they got his mama a double-wide.

Oh for sure. His family controlled his entire recruitment and basically ruined his career in the process. It was all for their needs and wants and not his. He could've been special!
dynamicbigboy
Hershel

Marcus Dupree

Tony Mandrich
UgaFann
Lakers /Celtics
dawgpostsucks
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/other-sports/news/espn-best-30-for-30-sports-documentaries/1a96p8tkgopxi1ccrd3m9ioc1j
JudgeLarryDawg
"The 1985 Bears" was special to these teary eyes.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.