Beating Gator

4,978 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpzd33
alwayshappydawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am so happy for these guys breaking through against Gator. It will be a great flight home.
RedDawg
Absolutely. Amazing what can happen when you don't turn it over. We had what, 4 TO's in the 2nd half?
Dawgman53
Amen! Go dawgs! We could easily have won five in a row.
begger
Shows how close we are to getting there.
SidViciousDawg
Claxton was the man down the stretch. I do hope a coach gets in his ear before he gets a taunting tech at the worst possible time. He came damn close yesterday. We only took 41 shots in the game and WON! Fewest shots of any team in the SEC yesterday. Winning is fun and losing 13 straight really sucks regardless of the pace of play.

I still say this team/talent should be closer to .500 in league. We can win these next two as well if we play the same way.
Monkdawg
I don't know what you guys think, but i think the team has played harder and gotten better results since Crean's radio criticism. He may have caught hell from some people, but I think it worked. And he wasn't wrong.
SidViciousDawg
I think it's pace of play. For the season we're averaging 72.8 possessions per game. Over the last 5 we're averaging 66.4/game. We only had 60 in the Florida game we won. For comparison, last season we averaged 68.3/game. We're ranked #216 in Team Defensive Efficiency this year compared to #61 last season. Our defense has been better recently but that ain't saying a whole lot when you're ranked #216.

I'm not sure if something clicked with the players or with Crean but I'm glad to see it. Keep the possessions/game in the mid-sixties and play defense over the next two and we could finish on a 3 game winning streak.
Dawg44
Fox left us a team loaded with non basketball players. They can't shoot, pass, catch or dribble.
SidViciousDawg
Obviously I don't agree but that still
doesn't explain going from #61 to #216 on the defensive end. Yante was good on defense, Juwan Parker was a liability. The roster Crean inherited should certainly be Top #100. Going from #61 to #216 gets you to 2-14.

If the HC doesn't put much emphasis on D the players aren't either.
Drillerman
Sidvicious, it is hard to play defense when you are 1/2 step slower than the player you are guarding!! Most of our players are not top-level SEC caliber players whether you want to believe that or not and that is what Fox left Crean to deal with!! Plain and simple!! If the incoming players are true 4 and 5 Star players then next year will be a whole new ballgame for UGA Hoops!!! We will see!! I believe Tom Crean did a great job getting this team to continue to play hard when they had lost 8 in a row and with a little luck we could have won the last 5 we have played against some pretty good teams!! GO DAWGS!!!
Dawgman53
I agree with you Sidviciousdawg! Although the team has been playing harder the past 5 games, changing to more half court offense with more emphasis on defense has helped a lot and is more suited to our roster. I still say our front court's talent and strength can match up with anybody in the SEC.

Dawgman53
GA is not lacking in talent except at point guard. Crean inherited a team with plenty of talent on the front line but a lack of ball handlers at guard. I also think our guard play has improved the past 5 games.
SidViciousDawg
Our quickness is no different this year versus last year. We have the length to be well above average defensively. To somehow blame Fox and the talent he left behind for this team falling from #61 to #216 defensively doesn't add up. All I'm saying is we've been awful this year defensively (fact) and it appears to me it's coaching (opinion with a lot of evidence to back it up).

SidViciousDawg
So much for ending with a 3 game winning streak! That wide of a rebounding margin (deficit in our case) is remarkable... 50-28!! You don't see that often, especially considering we came in 4th in the league and Mizzou 11th. Disheartening to see that kind of effort anytime, especially on Senior Night.

We'll play Mizzou again next week, it'll be interesting to see what kind of effort we bring to the game.
Dawg44
Anyone who watched us play Missouri and thought we had tons of talent, I can't help those people.
SidViciousDawg
The same people watched our talent beat Florida on the road. We've damn sure got the talent Mizzou has, we lacked effort. To lose the boards 50-28 is not giving a sh:+; the same could be said for our defense most of the season.

I don't know if Crean needs to make a change on the staff or with himself but we've lacked effort and toughness this year as much as a
talent deficiency.
Monkdawg
Oh, there will be changes all right - to the roster. If you can't watch this team and see the deficiencies, I don't know what to tell ya. The problems at PG are glaring. We didn't shoot from the perimeter well all year. We don't have a SF who can shoot and/or drive to the basket. In the post, DO turns it over too much and shouldn't shoot past 5 feet. Hammonds has been soft and wildly inconsistent in his effort all year. Nic was overworked and still needs to put on weight and find a go to move in the post. Amanze was immature most of the year, which held back his development. We got almost nothing most games from the bench. I mean, how do people not see this?
SidViciousDawg
No one believes this years squad has top tier talent but it's far from 2-15 talent either. To be looking at Claxton and Ngumezi as our only bigs (plus some Hammond's) returning and no post players signed is concerning. We need an impactful big, whether GT, JUCO, or Frosh , we need one badly.

Then of course PG!! As I've stated I do not like AE as our point. If he had a really good ball handler with him, maybe, not when it's Harris or Crump out there with him. An AtlExp Coach told me recently that it looks like Ant at the point is a reall possibility. He seriously questions it as well.
jpzd33
SidViciousDawg said:

To lose the boards 50-28 is not giving a sh:+;

Not really. You shoot 25% vs 45% the opposition is going to have more rebound opportunities.

Georgia doesn't lack talent. But Georgia also doesn't have a fully equipped team. This team lacks any go to player. Nobody on this team can create for themselves or anyone else. They don't have anyone who can handle the ball. They don't have guys who are capable of breaking down the D off the dribble.

This is a 2-15 team yes. They don't have a Yante Maten or JJ Frazier on this team that is capable of putting the team on its back and making plays. Sure Clax is a great athlete and maybe a 1 rd pick. But he's raw and not currently a great basketball player that can do that. He's a #2 guy now. Along with Harris and Hammonds. Solid players. But they need that extra piece to actually be a good team
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.