Scheudle

717 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Monkdawg
BallDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
God as I look at this schedule and run over potential games and matchups, I really realize how tough it is to play in the SEC, and how we still might have a lot more catching up to do.

Looking at the schedule we have now, and being realistic and trying to play devil's advocate, I think 20 wins (around where you need to be to be competing for an at large bid in the SEC), is going to be hard, so we need to get around 18, 19, 20 regular season wins and win a game or two in the SEC tournament, which sheesh look at this roster.

I haven't posted an in-depth analysis of it yet, but off the top of my head, I have this

WINS: 16
Tennessee Tech
Texas Southern
North Florida
Notre Dame
Charleston Southern
SC State
Georgia Tech
Florida @ Home
LSU @ Home
Mississippi State @ Home
Missouri @ Home
Oklahoma @ Home
South Carolina @ Home
Vandy @ Home
Ole Miss @ Away
South Carolina @ Away

Losses: 12
Marquette @ Neutral
St. Johns @ Neutral
GCU @ Neutral
Auburn @ Home
Kentucky @ Home
Alabama @ Away
Arkansas @ Away
Auburn @ Away
Florida @ Away
Tennessee @ Away
Texas @ Away
Texas A&M @ Away

That is 16-12, and I am sure the next two games we schedule for offseason will be 2 freebies as we have a solid non-con schedule, so lets say 18 wins seems very REASONABLE, you can always win games you shouldn't, and lose some you shouldn't.

I think GCU, Marquette, and St. Johns, we HAVE to win 2/3, and AT LEAST 1 of those 3 to be in discussion for an at large bid, those are our quality non-con games, and I could see us beating GCU, and maybe St. Johns, but I think Marquette is just in another league than us.

18 wins, reasonably, could easily be one or two more/less, puts us in a great position if we get some quality wins (I mean defending home court, neutral win, and taking one on the road) to be in the NET range of like 35-45?? where we would need to be for an at large bid.

At that point we would then just have to take care of business in the SEC tournament game, winning the first by beating up on an inferior SEC opponent, and then winning one next game against a solid team (sounds like last year with beating missouri and then losing the close game to the NCAAT florida.)

Overall, its doable, I will post an indepth analysis later, but it is going to take luck, CMW to coach his ass off, and this team and roster to gel.
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

God as I look at this schedule and run over potential games and matchups, I really realize how tough it is to play in the SEC, and how we still might have a lot more catching up to do.

Looking at the schedule we have now, and being realistic and trying to play devil's advocate, I think 20 wins (around where you need to be to be competing for an at large bid in the SEC), is going to be hard, so we need to get around 18, 19, 20 regular season wins and win a game or two in the SEC tournament, which sheesh look at this roster.

I haven't posted an in-depth analysis of it yet, but off the top of my head, I have this

WINS: 16
Tennessee Tech
Texas Southern
North Florida
Notre Dame
Charleston Southern
SC State
Georgia Tech
Florida @ Home
LSU @ Home
Mississippi State @ Home
Missouri @ Home
Oklahoma @ Home
South Carolina @ Home
Vandy @ Home
Ole Miss @ Away
South Carolina @ Away

Losses: 12
Marquette @ Neutral
St. Johns @ Neutral
GCU @ Neutral
Auburn @ Home
Kentucky @ Home
Alabama @ Away
Arkansas @ Away
Auburn @ Away
Florida @ Away
Tennessee @ Away
Texas @ Away
Texas A&M @ Away

That is 16-12, and I am sure the next two games we schedule for offseason will be 2 freebies as we have a solid non-con schedule, so lets say 18 wins seems very REASONABLE, you can always win games you shouldn't, and lose some you shouldn't.

I think GCU, Marquette, and St. Johns, we HAVE to win 2/3, and AT LEAST 1 of those 3 to be in discussion for an at large bid, those are our quality non-con games, and I could see us beating GCU, and maybe St. Johns, but I think Marquette is just in another league than us.

18 wins, reasonably, could easily be one or two more/less, puts us in a great position if we get some quality wins (I mean defending home court, neutral win, and taking one on the road) to be in the NET range of like 35-45?? where we would need to be for an at large bid.

At that point we would then just have to take care of business in the SEC tournament game, winning the first by beating up on an inferior SEC opponent, and then winning one next game against a solid team (sounds like last year with beating missouri and then losing the close game to the NCAAT florida.)

Overall, its doable, I will post an indepth analysis later, but it is going to take luck, CMW to coach his ass off, and this team and roster to gel.

Good stuff. There's no easy schedule inside the conference, but we have to make up ground in the conference to prove we belong at a higher level and in the tourney. You said it - it's up to White and the kids to make it happen. Personally, I think the talent is there. I really want us to develop a definitive style of play - an identity. Something people can latch onto when they think about UGA basketball. I didn't like it, but Fox had one. Harrick had one. Most successful coaches' teams have an identity.
BallDawg
For me, if this team plays up to its potential and CMW can coach it, I see us having a similar year to Mississippi State did last year. Dropping some smaller games they should win, but grabbing some big wins. Good overall depth and athletic with a lack of shooting like they did. We might not have a josh Hubbard but with Dakota we have a good scorer to go to in the clutch. 21-14 and a little SEC tournament run could be in store. I think our cieling is 8-9 seed, and after that it's just up to us to play ball. I like that.
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

For me, if this team plays up to its potential and CMW can coach it, I see us having a similar year to Mississippi State did last year. Dropping some smaller games they should win, but grabbing some big wins. Good overall depth and athletic with a lack of shooting like they did. We might not have a josh Hubbard but with Dakota we have a good scorer to go to in the clutch. 21-14 and a little SEC tournament run could be in store. I think our cieling is 8-9 seed, and after that it's just up to us to play ball. I like that.
I'm a bit more optimistic. I think we will shoot it much better than last year. We have added some good shooters to the roster.
BallDawg
As a Georgia sports fan all my life, optimism is hard to come by for me. What do you think our ceiling is? I would have thought an 8-9 seed seemed very reasonable, what did you see?
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

As a Georgia sports fan all my life, optimism is hard to come by for me. What do you think our ceiling is? I would have thought an 8-9 seed seemed very reasonable, what did you see?
I think we are more talented than a 8-9 seed. Our front court is much more talented than last year, and I think our backcourt is also more talented and better shooters than last year.
BallDawg
Fair, any range? Top 25? Top 5 seed? Etc
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

Fair, any range? Top 25? Top 5 seed? Etc
I hesitate to predict without seeing the team play a game or two. I was lucky enough to see one practice, so I know we have talent. How quickly it gels is the key, I guess. White can go with several different lineups. I'm a bit concerned about the SF position, as we don't really have 1, but White can cover for that, I think. He has options - a 3 guards lineup, playing Godfrey at 3 (not his best spot IMO), playing Dylan James at the 3, maybe even Asa at the 3 with Godfrey at 4.

Also, let's not sleep on Savo Drezgic. That kid might be special at PG.

And Leffew just has the look of a real scorer.

I hope we try to run teams in the ground and press the crap out of them. I think this roster can do both. 7 guards, though 1 will redshirt (and he's pretty damn competitive in his own right) should make us fast and better defensively on the perimeter. I know we will be better both offensively and defensively inside.

All that said, I think we have Top 25 potential. There is a lot of talent out there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.