I think enough people have commented in other forums

764 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by UgaFann
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
and enough time has gone by since last Thursday that I can comment about the practice I was fortunate enough to attend that evening.

I think we have seriously increased our talent level. Got to meet each of the kids after practice; all seemed like really good kids. Asa is very, very talented - super athletic, nice outside shot, can block shots as well. Asa shot great in the shootarounds, though not so well in the game. I spoke with him about being born in Atlanta and spending his early years growing up in Athens before moving to Florida. Seems like a really down to earth kid.

Somto is unbelievably athletic; I bet he had several blocks in the scrimmage, and he can throw down some serious dunks. Huge hands, big smile on his face. But very raw.... He's got terrible footwork and doesn't shoot too well, but damn, he can jump out of the gym. He blocked a shot by Asa on the baseline when Asa did a turnaround, fall away with a really high release. It got swatted. Somto's hands are HUGE. White said they did agility testing, and most of the players were in great shape with verticals around 34 inches; I don't recall if he said what Somto's was, but it was considerably higher. White said he thought Somto could legitimately touch the top of the backboard.

Dakota Leffew is really smooth with a nice shot and quick to the hoop. I think he's the starter at SG. Pretty left-handed jumper and could really get to the basket off the dribble. Good FT shooter, too. He brings a lot to the table.

Tyrin Lawrence made some really nice defensive plays, deflecting at least 2 perimeter passes leading to breakaways. I don't see him being a good enough shooter to start over Leffew, but he will get good minutes because of his experience. Very impressed with the way he moved his feet and got in the passing lanes. He tried to dunk during the scrimmage in traffic and got stuffed by the rim. The team got a good laugh out of that.

De'Shayne Montgomery did some nice things, too. Very athletic. I think he's just a sophomore. Just a solid player and good shooter. Very good depth in the backcourt.

Demary and Cain are who we think they are; Blue has put on some good weight. He's got a buzz cut now that I got a laugh out of him for when I took off my hat and said he looked like me now. We all know what Demary brings to the table. Made some nice perimeter shots. Got the ball up the court fast. This team will play fast, I predict.

I tell ya who impressed me - Jordan Kee, the 3 star, 6'3" guard from Florida that we will redshirt; he busted his ass. He was first in every sprint. Guy is really fast. Big, big grin on his face. Nice shooting form. I told him after practice that he might make it hard for White to redshirt him (but we are really deep in the backcourt this season).

Our Serbian PG, Savo Drezgic, wasn't at practice. After practice, I asked White about Savo; he's still playing in Europe in a tournament in Finland next week, I think. He'll be here in August. White said Savo could be the best passing PG he has ever coached. Very high praise. 6'5" 195 lb. PG with great vision and a nice shot - he might push Demary for PT this year.

Abson is 6'9" 255lbs and is thicker than I expected; very solid build and rebounded well; positions in the post well. I certainly think he can help. Might start at 5 while Somto is smoothing out his game. Abson seems like a very good addition after watching him a few minutes.

Godfrey hustles all the time; White said he shows up every day; he obviously likes Godfrey. He's the energizer bunny type player. We will be tougher because of Godfrey and Abson IMO. I told Godfrey that I hoped we enjoy watching him play as much as we enjoyed watching his dad play. He got a big grin on his face and said, "Dad was a beast!"

I spoke to Dylan James after practice, and he said White wants him to play SF and PF. He looked good, too. He will be a long SF, for sure. Tough to match up with.

I always enjoy seeing the team work out. I think White has high expectations for this team. This team did not come cheap (the game is what it is now - you gotta pay to play), and they need to win.
Dawg44
Nice report. Glad you got to go. Thanks for the info.
Fat Doc 18
Thanks for your observations and insights! Go Dawgs!
UGAdawg
Monk - Thanks so much for this report!
Nostradawgus
Now you got me fired up! Great report. Many thanks!
Big G
Thanks for the updates ,any word on next years recruiting besides J. Wilkins,who I think is really good.
Monkdawg
Big G said:

Thanks for the updates ,any word on next years recruiting besides J. Wilkins,who I think is really good.
Most kids are just doing their visits. I don't think we trumpet our visits like others do. I wish we did. It's not always easy to get info on visits, and visits are really the key to who we have a chance with. I will say that HS recruiting may not be as important as it once was, now that there is a portal. But I think White is trying to build a good base of young players on our roster, so he is not turning away from HS kids. We signed 4 last year and kept 3; we signed 4 this year, too. Wilkins is a great start on the '25 class. I feel sure White is pursuing some great players in the coming class.
Big G
I see a great change since CW has been here, and now kids are respecting UGA as a good place to learn and play .
Monkdawg
Big G said:

I see a great change since CW has been here, and now kids are respecting UGA as a good place to learn and play .
I have a couple of friends who think the jury is still out on White. Perhaps. We haven't won big yet. But, jeez, he came into an impossible situation. Crean had ruined us and hurt us high schools and AAU programs, particularly locally. We couldn't have fallen much lower. White took what he could in the portal in his 1st year, and we showed improvement. Last year was much the same, though I think we had a slight talent uptick. This is an extremely important year for White and UGA. I think White has the talent to show what he can do this year.
UgaBoz53
great stuff and appreciate it
ATLSTNMTN53DAWG
UgaFann
Always appreciate the nuggets. Excellent post with great perspective. Thanks for sharing
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.