And then there was one….

1,460 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by jt10mc
Nostradawgus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Scholarship open after the elder Newell was put on scholly.

Have to believe it is for the Balkan PG but I've seen nothing concrete on it but whispers and chatter on here…
Big G
We have to trust CW will get it done, as for me ,really think basketball at UGA is on the way up.
Nostradawgus
Totally. It is already sooooooo far up from the abyss he who shall not be mentioned left us in.
Atowndawg
Harrick? Felton? Fox? Crean? There are so many to pick from to be honest. The bar is low.
dawglegright
Fox and Crean have the most to blame IMO.

Can you imagine Harrick in the NIL era?
Monkdawg
Atowndawg said:

Harrick? Felton? Fox? Crean? There are so many to pick from to be honest. The bar is low.
Harrick was a helluva coach who was thrown under the bus for the tiniest of alleged infractions....
Big G
Wow,think about Jacob Wilkins alread coming next year ,and the the way Coach White and staff recruits, the future has excitement,that is for true UGA fans. The school basketball now has idenity ,players follow good players and good coaching .I do hope the Serbian Savo Drezgic is next to sign.
BallDawg
Almost confident it's the Serbian PG. There is a lot to this that has to unfold for the pen to hit the paper and him to get to Athens.

First off, while I'm not sure if he still is as of today or tomorrow, he's playing for a Serbian national team overseas, and has made it clear completing that will be his main priority and focus right now.

Second he's going to have reclass up, that takes time and both parties to be 100% on board and in agreement what this would mean, it can be hard to convince a kid to skip your final year of HS basketball with much uncertainty. I also believe there is some paperwork and class work to sort out.

Third, as it is with all European players coming here to play basketball, it can be a painstaking process from the NCAA and many different groups to get approved and officially on roster to compete. I imagine they have prepared for this and have started this process, but look no further than last year with Big Z at Kentucky. They picked him up late, I'm talking their preseason trip to Europe (like we did last year in Italy, so realize how late in the offseason that is it's already preseason), and then on top of that he didn't debut until his game again us which was in SEC play.

So all in all, I think this process will take a while, and honestly, him committing doesn't ensure that he's on the next flight over to Athens.

I trust in CMW and he seems very confident that they are still on the recruiting trail and I hear lots of buzz how this deal is as close to done as it gets.

Another thing I forgot to mention, I'm not sure his citizenship status in the United States, but if so that makes NIL collection even harder if you play on a VISA, so they would have to set up work arounds for that where he could claim the NIL money off US soil.

I think we will have him committed and on campus before the end of summer. It's just a waiting game right now for us eager fans.
Big G
Thanks for your imformation and insight ,really think that he will help this team with his experience ,and ofcourse outside shooting, last years needed it ,and it hurt down the stretch,really think J Newell will help as well,thanks again for taking the time out and for your knowledge about the team.
Monkdawg
Big G said:

Wow,think about Jacob Wilkins alread coming next year ,and the the way Coach White and staff recruits, the future has excitement,that is for true UGA fans. The school basketball now has idenity ,players follow good players and good coaching .I do hope the Serbian Savo Drezgic is next to sign.
Wilkins has grown to at least 6'8" and is showing some perimeter game this summer. He is a great start to that class.

If we sign another player, I feel pretty confident it will be Drezgic. As addressed above, there can be a lot of complications with reclassification on top of the complications for a Euro player. He's got to have his academics in line for one thing. He's got to have the credits to reclassify. Since he has been playing in Europe, I'm not sure would have been able to address any academic deficiencies (I'm not saying there are any, just that there could be).

We are really loading up on guards. After only having 4 last year, we aren't going to have that deficiency this season, though we may be a bit thin at SF and C. We will become pretty perimeter-oriented. We were last year but had too many who couldn't make shots.
BallDawg
Apart from Tyrinn Lawrence and Dakota Leffew, every player will has at LEAST 2 years of eligibility left, which means that, let's say we do not use the scholarship this year and offer it to Drezgic for 2025, that leaves us with 2 spots left, with Wilkins already committed, I think it will be very important for CMW to use those 2 scholarships on a bigger forward, and a Center.

This upcoming recruiting trailing, assuming like I am that no one transfers out, which is unlikely in this day in age, CMW will only have to worry about 2 guys, which means the scouting and time put into each prospect will increase, which will increase the caliber of player we can bring in.

This has been the one issue CMW has had to deal with every year since he got here, was so much roster turnover, so if he can hold onto these guys that have more eligibility left, we can bring in a really good class that could potentially have Drezgic and Wilkins already in it.

I believe Wilkins is going to end up getting his 5th star, and i'm assuming we close that class out with 1 4 star recruit and 1 good transfer portal guy.

Overall we are in a really good position going forward as long as CMW can produce, develop talent, and get these guys to stay, things he has shown the capabilities of doing.
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

Apart from Tyrinn Lawrence and Dakota Leffew, every player will has at LEAST 2 years of eligibility left, which means that, let's say we do not use the scholarship this year and offer it to Drezgic for 2025, that leaves us with 2 spots left, with Wilkins already committed, I think it will be very important for CMW to use those 2 scholarships on a bigger forward, and a Center.

This upcoming recruiting trailing, assuming like I am that no one transfers out, which is unlikely in this day in age, CMW will only have to worry about 2 guys, which means the scouting and time put into each prospect will increase, which will increase the caliber of player we can bring in.

This has been the one issue CMW has had to deal with every year since he got here, was so much roster turnover, so if he can hold onto these guys that have more eligibility left, we can bring in a really good class that could potentially have Drezgic and Wilkins already in it.

I believe Wilkins is going to end up getting his 5th star, and i'm assuming we close that class out with 1 4 star recruit and 1 good transfer portal guy.

Overall we are in a really good position going forward as long as CMW can produce, develop talent, and get these guys to stay, things he has shown the capabilities of doing.
That's a good point, but there is always attrition. Worse than ever with the portal. If we bring in Savo, he will count in 2024, I assume. Yes, White has done a great job spreading out the roster, though that is perhaps not as important these days with the portal as it was in the past. Wilkins would fill the other SF spot. I agree that we will go after a post player in 2025, and you can never have enough shooters. And Newell may be a one and done, though I hope not.
jt10mc
Salvo Drezgic...comitted.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.