Auburn is preseason #1 in the SEC

1,133 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by UgaBoz53
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From an on-line article:

247Sports' Isaac Trotter recently released his way-too-early SEC basketball power rankings for the 2024-25 season, and Bruce Pearl's Tigers are ranked No. 1. Here's what Trotter had to say about Auburn's current outlook:

"Auburn is loaded. The Year 2 transfer jump for Johni Broome was something fun. Imagine what could be in store for Denver Jones and Chad Baker-Mazara after a full offseason? Broome is an All-American and should be the preseason SEC Player of the Year, but if Jones and Baker-Mazara cover up some of their warts, Auburn can be scary good. Furman transfer JP Pegues is a stud. Chaney Johnson is toolsy and ready for an opportunity. Auburn, yet again, is jam-packed with depth, and Bruce Pearl still has a spot for one more guard to add to the rotation.

The Tigers should be hellacious defensively with Broome and backup center Dylan Cardwell teaming up for 40 minutes of elite rim protection paired with Auburn's usual vaunted ball pressure. It has such a high floor offensively with Broome on the floor. Losing Tre Donaldson stings, but Auburn's guards might be a bit steadier overall. And this group will be highly motivated after that stunning Yale debacle in the NCAA Tournament."

Not sure I agree. They lost their 2 freshmen PGs to transfer - one to Bama. One of their frontcourt guys finally graduated. I'm not sure they're better than last year. Then again, USC lost its best player, UK lost its coach and most of its signing class, OU and UTx are joining the conference, UTk is losing its best player but bringing a lot back, Arky will have a much more talented roster, Bama has tons of talent, etc.
BallDawg
I disagree a little bit. I think Auburn not only has the best roster on paper, it's experienced, they have played together, we all know how hard it is to play in the Jungle, and Bruce Pearl is a great coach. I think the front court is obviously weak, but man that back court and those wings are something else. They'll defend really well, only issue is going to be scoring and outside shooting I think.
BallDawg
He has us at 13? lol what okay prove em wrong
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

I disagree a little bit. I think Auburn not only has the best roster on paper, it's experienced, they have played together, we all know how hard it is to play in the Jungle, and Bruce Pearl is a great coach. I think the front court is obviously weak, but man that back court and those wings are something else. They'll defend really well, only issue is going to be scoring and outside shooting I think.
I don't know. They only added 4 players - 2 4 star guards, one PG and one SG - a solid PG from Furman and a transfer 6'5" PF who was at SMU last year but at GA State before that, Ja'heim Hudson. Hudson plays really hard but is undersized for the type of game he has. Those additions don't overwhelm me. Baker-Mazara can be tough, Denver Jones is OK, Broome and Cardwell are a decent frontcourt, but not deep. This roster is good, but I wouldn't call it great. Yes, Pearl is a very good coach.
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

He has us at 13? lol what okay prove em wrong
Yeah, we are an unknown quantity. We better be in the top half of the conference. Assuming a natural progression from last year's freshmen and the added athleticism from the incoming players, I think we will be. The team has a chance to be really fun and pretty darn good....
Dawg44
But can they beat power houses like Harvard?
BallDawg
Just added Miles Kelly. Good add. Helps the backcourt.
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

Just added Miles Kelly. Good add. Helps the backcourt.
That's an interesting addition. Kelly is pretty inconsistent - sometimes great, sometimes abysmal. Kelly lost most of his PT at Tech last season. Hard to say which player Auburn will be getting. I will say that Kelly has been a good one on one player. He won the game against us with an isolation bucket and did the same against GSU.
UgaBoz53
gonna be a fun year hopefully
ATLSTNMTN53DAWG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.