roster update

1,074 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Monkdawg
BallDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is going to have some hypotheticals but for next so far the roster looks like

Confirmed:
Silas
Blue Cain
James
Asa
Somto - (granted he most likely doesn't get drafted)
Abson
Montgomery
Leffew
Godfrey - (As of now it seems in the next few days he should commit here)
Ibe - (I know he is in the transfer portal, but I would really love to keep him so going to go out and say CMW gets him to stay, especially this late in the process)

Rumored:
Lawrence - (Not too much known atm, would not be a great pickup, would not be bad)

Assuming we get all the names above, including Frank to stay put in Athens, that leaves us with 3 scholarships to fill, if we get Lawrence, only 2, if we do not get Frank or Lawrence, that leaves us with 4 scholarships left.

This late in the portal, in order to find 4 quality guys seems like an impossible task, and to be able to generate big enough NIL packages for SEC quality players to come in and accept what would appear to be more of a bench role will be hard. I think it is going to turn out that we might end up taking a flyer on some HS kids, maybe swing for kids with higher upsides but not as highly recruited. If that is the case we would need to jump on that now, as the reality is most of these kids are locked up or close to it, so joining in this late would make it difficult.

Assuming we take 2 more HS kids with the remaining 4 scholarships, I think the last 2 scholarship players we need would be a True PG, and a wing that can shoot, preferably bigger, with the ability to guard the 3/switch onto smaller guards.

This will definitely be a tall task for CMW, and I do not want that to negate what he has done so far, because he has killed it, but what would be some guys to look at.

The Tulange Guard Sion James is from Ga and is a very good player but apparently has a "Do not Contact" tag on him, so no clue what's going on there. Have not really heard anything else on anyone. Does anyone know of any players we might be targetting or who we should that might be a good compliment to this roster?
BallDawg
Disclaimer, if I missed anyone or any scholarship players let me know, just rifled that list off the top of my head.
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

This is going to have some hypotheticals but for next so far the roster looks like

Confirmed:
Silas
Blue Cain
James
Asa
Abson
Montgomery
Leffew
Ibe - (I know he is in the transfer portal, but I would really love to keep him so going to go out and say CMW gets him to stay, especially this late in the process)

Rumored:
Lawrence - (Not too much known atm, would not be a great pickup, would not be bad)

Assuming we get all the names above, including Frank to stay put in Athens, that leaves us with 3 scholarships to fill, if we get Lawrence, only 2, if we do not get Frank or Lawrence, that leaves us with 4 scholarships left.

This late in the portal, in order to find 4 quality guys seems like an impossible task, and to be able to generate big enough NIL packages for SEC quality players to come in and accept what would appear to be more of a bench role will be hard. I think it is going to turn out that we might end up taking a flyer on some HS kids, maybe swing for kids with higher upsides but not as highly recruited. If that is the case we would need to jump on that now, as the reality is most of these kids are locked up or close to it, so joining in this late would make it difficult.

Assuming we take 2 more HS kids with the remaining 4 scholarships, I think the last 2 scholarship players we need would be a True PG, and a wing that can shoot, preferably bigger, with the ability to guard the 3/switch onto smaller guards.

This will definitely be a tall task for CMW, and I do not want that to negate what he has done so far, because he has killed it, but what would be some guys to look at.

The Tulange Guard Sion James is from Ga and is a very good player but apparently has a "Do not Contact" tag on him, so no clue what's going on there. Have not really heard anything else on anyone. Does anyone know of any players we might be targetting or who we should that might be a good compliment to this roster?
Honestly, I don't care whether Frank leaves or not. He's a good kid and a good teammate, but he's nothing special on the court. He's not an offensive threat, and he's not a great rebounder either. But I do think we need to go looking for another post player in the portal.

Lawrence has had multiple opportunities to come to UGA. He's at a position where we already have 3 players. He is not a need. And his numbers have not been that good. He shoots a fair amount with only so-so production. We need a PG bad, one with experience who understands the position, passes the ball and only takes the occasional perimeter shot. Someone who defends and makes his FTs. They are out there.

I can't count Godfrey until he commits. I hope he does. I saw that Clemson listed him as a SF, but his perimeter shot is suspect. He's better in the paint. So he's really a PF in a SF's body at this point. Still, we can use his defense and toughness.

Sion James would be a significant upgrade. He could play any of the perimeter positions. Have no idea whether we might be in on him. I hope so. His skills are tailor-made for what we need. But there are still guys out there who could help us.
Big G
Hopeful for Sion James,good fit.
Monkdawg
Big G said:

Hopeful for Sion James,good fit.
Boy, he really would be. I have no idea if there is interest on either side. I hope so.
Big G
I see that ga basketball coaches are bringing as many former ga high school players to play for the dawgs. Hopeful they can recruit more players from ga.Ga has great players ,check with Bruce Pearl,out recruit us every year from our own state. Coach White seem to know the importance of keeping good players to stay home to play.
UgaBoz53
BallDawg said:

Confirmed:
Silas
Blue Cain
James
Asa
Abson
Montgomery
Leffew

Rumored:

good stuff man
ATLSTNMTN53DAWG
Big G
What everyone says seemily true,recruiting basketball is hard in ga ,atleast for the home team ,Coach White and his staff are trying to keep the best to stay home. If the dawgs get 2 out top 10 yearly then a good foundation will be formed. Hiring AAU Coaches or someone the local kids respect would be important. Who they hire is important,ask the recruits and former players why they are excited about playing for the dawgs . Coach White and staff has us excited,pray that continue.
Big G
Any suggestions ??????
Monkdawg
Big G said:

What everyone says seemily true,recruiting basketball is hard in ga ,atleast for the home team ,Coach White and his staff are trying to keep the best to stay home. If the dawgs get 2 out top 10 yearly then a good foundation will be formed. Hiring AAU Coaches or someone the local kids respect would be important. Who they hire is important,ask the recruits and former players why they are excited about playing for the dawgs . Coach White and staff has us excited,pray that continue.
I have always wanted to recruit the best in the state, but honestly, I don't care if a kid is polka dot and hales from the moon, as long as he can play. One of my favorite recent Dawgs was Nemi Djurisic from Montenegro, about as far from Georgia as can be. Dominique was from North Carolina. I also like finding those local diamonds in the rough. Willie Anderson is one of the greatest players in UGA history, and he was really an afterthought as a recruit. I think fans like to see in-state players do well at the in-state school; it's just a pride thing. We have certainly lost a number of great players to other schools - more than I can count - but you can't sign them all. Just recruit the kids that are talented and fit your system. One advantage White might have is that he didn't originally miss on most of the current GA guys. That was Crean. So White can say that he would have recruited a kid harder had he been the coach at the time.
Big G
I certainly agree with getting the best for your program , just getting players from your state give you stabily,. I also believe the Atlanta area is very stacked and l would love seeing some come and play for uga ,but I agree there are good players everywhere and now the dawgs are getting some very good players . I been waiting to see just what Coach White is doing ,good coaching and good recruiting,.
UGAdawg
Monkdawg said:

Big G said:

I have always wanted to recruit the best in the state, but honestly, I don't care if a kid is polka dot and hales from the moon, as long as he can play. One of my favorite recent Dawgs was Nemi Djurisic from Montenegro, about as far from Georgia as can be. Dominique was from North Carolina. I also like finding those local diamonds in the rough. Willie Anderson is one of the greatest players in UGA history, and he was really an afterthought as a recruit. I think fans like to see in-state players do well at the in-state school; it's just a pride thing. We have certainly lost a number of great players to other schools - more than I can count - but you can't sign them all. Just recruit the kids that are talented and fit your system. One advantage White might have is that he didn't originally miss on most of the current GA guys. That was Crean. So White can say that he would have recruited a kid harder had he been the coach at the time.
I agree. It does not matter to me where a kid comes from as long as he can play. I loved Djurisic. He was a very good player for us. I like the Europeans because they always seem to be skilled. JJ Fraizer was another of those diamond in the ri[ough players that had a great career at UGA. JJ was was a 2-star recruit that played big for us. It is just so frustrating to have so much talent in the state and see that we don't do any better with the in-state talent than we do. In this years cycle, 12 of the top 100 in the country were from GA. Nine of those 12 were in ATL. Georgia Tech got 2 of those.We did not get one of them until Cyril transferred in from KY (#46). We can't sign them all, but our program would be better off if we could do better in-state. I believe in todays climate, with the NIL element, coach White is at a disadvantange that previous coaches did not have to contend with. I know we are spending more, but I think UGA not being a basketball school makes it tough.
Monkdawg
UGAdawg said:

Monkdawg said:

Big G said:

I agree. It does not matter to me where a kid comes from as long as he can play. I loved Djurisic. He was a very good player for us. I like the Europeans because they always seem to be skilled. JJ Fraizer was another of those diamond in the ri[ough players that had a great career at UGA. JJ was was a 2-star recruit that played big for us. It is just so frustrating to have so much talent in the state and see that we don't do any better with the in-state talent than we do. In this years cycle, 12 of the top 100 in the country were from GA. Nine of those 12 were in ATL. Georgia Tech got 2 of those.We did not get one of them until Cyril transferred in from KY (#46). We can't sign them all, but our program would be better off if we could do better in-state. I believe in todays climate, with the NIL element, coach White is at a disadvantange that previous coaches did not have to contend with. I know we are spending more, but I think UGA not being a basketball school makes it tough.
Euro guys have such well-rounded games. JJ was great. He played with such heart.... But I know Fox had to be dragged kicking and screaming to sign him. Kids like that come out of GA every year. Sion James was probably one of those guys. Went to Tulane and balled out. In a perfect world, I would love to see us sign 2-3 GA kids every year. There is a ton of talent in GA. The staff has to get out and evaluate them. You mentioned NIL as a complicating factor for White. I would argue the portal is at least as complicating as NIL. I don't think I could coach in today's environment. These guys earn their money. So many moving parts.... And not being a "basketball school", to me, is just a cop out. Are Bama, Auburn, UF, LSU basketball schools? Are Texas and Oklahoma basketball schools? A school can succeed in both, indeed every sport, if they want to bad enough and commit enough resources to do it.
Monkdawg
Big G said:

I certainly agree with getting the best for your program , just getting players from your state give you stabily,. I also believe the Atlanta area is very stacked and l would love seeing some come and play for uga ,but I agree there are good players everywhere and now the dawgs are getting some very good players . I been waiting to see just what Coach White is doing ,good coaching and good recruiting,.
Just having GA kids is not the key to stability - not with NIL and the portal out there. The key is to get players to buy in and to win - to accept their role. Make them want to stay.
Big G
You are so right

Keep working guys
We are finally getting closer to winning consistently every year .
Big G
And the hard for everyone is getting them to stay .Atleast we are seeing progress.
Monkdawg
Big G said:

And the hard for everyone is getting them to stay .Atleast we are seeing progress.
We got the key guys, the building blocks, to stay. That was what was important.... White just needs to keep progressing.
UGAdawg
Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

Monkdawg said:

Big G said:

Euro guys have such well-rounded games. JJ was great. He played with such heart.... But I know Fox had to be dragged kicking and screaming to sign him. Kids like that come out of GA every year. Sion James was probably one of those guys. Went to Tulane and balled out. In a perfect world, I would love to see us sign 2-3 GA kids every year. There is a ton of talent in GA. The staff has to get out and evaluate them. You mentioned NIL as a complicating factor for White. I would argue the portal is at least as complicating as NIL. I don't think I could coach in today's environment. These guys earn their money. So many moving parts.... And not being a "basketball school", to me, is just a cop out. Are Bama, Auburn, UF, LSU basketball schools? Are Texas and Oklahoma basketball schools? A school can succeed in both, indeed every sport, if they want to bad enough and commit enough resources to do it.
Good point about the portal being a complication. I recognize that, but just failed to put it in my post. Also a very good point about the schools that are not "basketball schools" winning in basketball. I think I posted some time ago about the UGA administration having to dig in their pockets to get a winner in basketball. The only way to do it is to commit the resources to the BB program. They need to have the very same commitment that they have to the FB program. We are spending more now, but the question is: Is the resource commitment at the level it needs to be?

Unless you know something that I am unaware of, I think Fox deserves more credit for signing JJ.
Monkdawg
UGAdawg said:

Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

Monkdawg said:

Big G said:

Good point about the portal being a complication. I recognize that, but just failed to put it in my post. Also a very good point about the schools that are not "basketball schools" winning in basketball. I think I posted some time ago about the UGA administration having to dig in their pockets to get a winner in basketball. The only way to do it is to commit the resources to the BB program. They need to have the very same commitment that they have to the FB program. We are spending more now, but the question is: Is the resource commitment at the level it needs to be?

Unless you know something that I am unaware of, I think Fox deserves more credit for signing JJ.
I might know a bit more on JJ. I know the staff had to beg Fox to sign him. Also, the staff wanted him to pursue and sign 2 guards that ended up at Auburn and getting them to a Final Four. Fox just wouldn't do it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.