Let's talk about that last A&M possession

1,506 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Joesock2
Nostradawgus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First of all, very pleased to see how the Dawgs battled all night, and really did deserve to be in the position at the end they found themselves in. Say what we will about Crean, but the team continues to fight. They have not thrown in the towel.

Hell of a shot by A&M to win. Hats off.

But what the hell were we doing defensively? We had one guard pressuring the ball who got picked off easier than a toddler, then parked four in our own end around the three point line?

Serious question - why do you not pick up man on man in their half court - at a minimum? I am baffled why we decided to essentially play a packed in zone - in our end - with five seconds to go.

I'd welcome some thoughts by some of you who know X's and O's. Seemed to be a complete defensive FUBAR which is consistent with Crean . . .

And relevant of nothing, but did anyone catch the last 1:20 of the LSU - KY game? Just bonkers. Could not believe LSU was going to lose with an eight point lead, at the foul line, and only 1:20 to go. But they almost did, but then they emphatically did not.
Dawg44
Only being ahead by one, we thought they would drive to the basket for an easy shot or to get fouled. We defended for that. They decided to take a much lower percentage shot. Hats off to them for pulling it off. We need to fire Crean even if we never lose again.
SidViciousDawg
Dawg44 said:

Only being ahead by one, we thought they would drive to the basket for an easy shot or to get fouled. We defended for that. They decided to take a much lower percentage shot. Hats off to them for pulling it off. We need to fire Crean even if we never lose again.

We defended nothing. Our two guards Wright and Cook could not have done less. Wright especially, that's actually his man that he barely waved at as he went flying by for Cook to "pick-up", if you call playing 10-12 feet off picking-up.
I think all they heard from the huddle is "don't foul".

This game type situation is something that should be practiced regularly. It appeared we have not.
dawglegright
We let one guy dribble down the court and hit the game winning shot. You have to force at least one pass.
SidViciousDawg
dawglegright said:

We let one guy dribble down the court and hit the game winning shot. You have to force at least one pass.

Very disappointing to see our two PG's, generally the brains/leaders on the floor, screw-up like that. Slow the dang ball down in the backcourt, they crossed half-court in 1.5 seconds. I've watched it a dozen tImes and it's ridiculous.
Monkdawg
Actually, Wright got screened off Williams at the opposite foul line, so he was trailing. We had 4 other guys back basically defending 2 guys, and Williams dribbled straight down after the screen. Etter picked up the screener who was trailing the play down the middle of the floor. And the other 2 A&M guys were on the opposite side of the floor with our guys on them. We had everybody boxed out for any rebound. Williams just pulled up when Cook thought he would drive. He would have had help on the drive. Bridges and Etter were in the paint. Cook played the odds and lost.
TKramer15
SidViciousDawg said:

dawglegright said:

Very disappointing to see our two PG's, generally the brains/leaders on the floor, screw-up like that. Slow the dang ball down in the backcourt, they crossed half-court in 1.5 seconds. I've watched it a dozen tImes and it's ridiculous.
I said the same thing as it played out.

Limiting the risk of fouling while trying to force a three was ok. That's understandable. Cook simply sagged way too far below the three point line. He needed to park himself at the line and try to force the dribbler to make a tougher decision. Either make him change direction, make him pass, make him try to go by you and take a hurried shot or make him take a longer, more difficult three. None of those happened.

There's no way that you want the ballhandler to dribble the length of the floor in a straight line and be able to step directly into a regular length game winning three. Cook has played a lot of basketball, so it was a perplexing and costly lack of awareness.
SidViciousDawg
I agree Cook sagged off way too much, but the straight line advancement across half-court in 1.5 secs is 100% on Wright in this instance. He goes UNDER a screen in the backcourt when his job is stay between your man and the basket and slow the ball. Golden opportunity lost for the Dawgs, hope we get another two or three chances for a W along the way.
TKramer15
I agree with you. Wright can't let himself be picked off and become a total non-factor on the play that easily. The lack of any interference in the backcourt put Cook in a more difficult position. Suddenly, the dribbler had more time and thus more options. Still, I don't think Cook should've been sagging as much as he was. It was a rough ending that soured an otherwise pretty strong second half.
SidViciousDawg
2022 is a new year!! Sid and TKramer on the same page
Joesock2
If you know anyone who is interested in buying Georgia Bulldog memorabilia, I have some for sell!! I can send pics via email(taviasturner@yahoo.com) and/or text(706-607-6229)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.