Pearl and Auburn hit with NCAA sanctions

1,634 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Monkdawg
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/auburn-men-s-basketball-hit-with-sanctions-stemming-from-2017-fbi-probe/ar-AARH6WV?li=BB15ms5q&ocid=U142DHP

I'm of two minds about this. As a UGA fan, I love seeing a rival penalized for violations. I hate Auburn - it goes without saying. But, this stemmed from the misbehavior of an assistant coach whose actions were unknown to Pearl. Indeed, those actions - encouraging players to sign with a particular agent and leave school - was detrimental to Auburn's program and certainly not something that would have been condoned by Pearl. Pearl is a damn good coach, but he is the HC and must take the hit for his assistant's violation I suppose. A two game suspension to Pearl with the acceptance of the already self-imposed penalties is probably fair. Still, there are soooo many cheaters out there. How does Will Wade have a job?
Nostradawgus
Pearl just drips slime. Or is that slime before Pearls?

He's laughing his ass off at all the crap he wasn't caught doing.
dawg212003
Shocker. Not a big punishment. It's not as if this was his first time doing wrong.
Dawg44
In other words, Auburn gets by with cheating again with basically zero punishment. No surprise.
Monkdawg
Not to defend Pearl, but it wasn't really him doing wrong. It was Chuck Person, who had gambling debts he needed money to pay. Pearl certainly wouldn't have agreed had he known. It was designed to cost him players.
dawg212003
Not so sure. This wasn't his first team that was sanctioned while he was coach.
Monkdawg
That's just not a logical position. Pearl would not hurt his own program by having an assistant encouraging the players to leave early for cash to that assistant. Makes no sense.
dawg212003
So the Coach shouldn't be held responsible for his staff?
Monkdawg
There are some situations where they should and probably some where they shouldn't. Do you hold the HC responsible if an assistant goes out and commits a murder or gets a DUI? What Person did was detrimental to the program, whether he was caught or not. Surely, Pearl would not have condoned it had he known.
fladawg59
Pearl was busy convincing KD Johnson to transfer.
He was also busy out recruiting uga for Walker Kessler and Jabari smith. Guys we should've had an inside track .
He can't do all that and pay attention to assistants.

Maybe crean pays too much attention to the wrong stuff?
Monkdawg
Well, I know Kessler was not coming to UGA to play for Crean, no matter how much time he might have spent on it. I also know that Pearl has an "in" at McEachern, where Smith went. We just don't get top players from McEachern. But it is clear that Crean has not recruited GA well at all. Whether he pays too much attention to other stuff is another question. We can't really know that, can we? As for Pearl paying attention to assistants, I'm not sure how much attention it would take to discover the facts of a clandestine agreement between an assistant and an agent.
dawg212003
Sorry. Big difference between doing dirty deeds with players and agents than going out and committing murder. They don't compare. At all.
Monkdawg
I exaggerate for emphasis. My point is that there is a broad list of things which a HC may not know that an assistant is doing and for which he cannot be held accountable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.