respectability

9,581 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fladawg59
Dawg44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Triple Bingo!!!
SidViciousDawg
Has anyone argued Fox should still be here? It was obviously time for him to leave but I have difficulty understanding how anyone doesn't clearly see that Crean & Staff have laid an enormous egg.

This was not a rebuild, one losing season in 6 years and a worst of 7-11 by the previous staff... and then Crean comes in at 7-29 with no improvement in sight. He's nearing Johnny Jones level incompetence.

Year 3 coming up (possibly) and we'll be predicted lower than we were in year 2. The recruiting rankings look good to decent for Crean but there's no logic in the signings. The glut of PG's and SF's is baffling. The lack of a serviceable big man, at the 4 or 5, is bizarre.

Year 4 will likely be the end and Crean will leave here with a conference record of something like 18-54. That will meet the definition of a rebuild, for the next coach.

fladawg59
It seems for us to win next year our only chance would be to try something completely different. Athletic, deep, undersized, pressure, point guard oriented etc.
could this work?
SidViciousDawg
I always thoroughly know our players top to bottom. I've never known less about our team's roster than this year. I'll WAG it and go with:

Wheeler, Camara, Kier (GT from G Mason), Garcia (GT from St Brook) and Horne (GT from VTech) along with Brown & Fagan as our top seven then the two Frosh: KD Johnson and Josh Taylor, then who knows bout Walton, McMillan, Starks and Ned. That's our 13... I'm not sure there's a coach or a style that'd help.

I don't see anyway this group gels into mediocrity. We're asking a bunch of strangers, fighting each other for PT, to become a team. Gonna be a real longshot.

I'll wait for the schedule (if there is) before making a prediction... nobody much liked my 5-13 Conference and 15-16 Overall that I made before the season last year.
Dawg44
Sid, when are they going to finally finish that bridge in Winder on 316? They seem to be stalled for now?
SidViciousDawg
Afraid that one's lost on me Dawg... all my fam is dead or moved outta Athens, I don't get over that way as regularly as I once did.

I live in Bham and (if a season) will be going to more UAB games than UGA games. Haven't been to many, the last was when we played there Crean's first year, but with Kennedy & Pearson at UAB I am looking forward to seeing a bunch.
fladawg59
sid, good assessment of next years roster.

let me try something to make a best case scenario.
we do have more 4 star talent than ever before.
i would assume they would be athletic? (even walton)
we should have good depth.
we have several point guards.( two years ago we had zero) disaster
we do have three very experienced transfers. (2 had impressive numbers)
we could improve by not having crump and hammonds?
(i dont recall either of them ever being quick enough to pick up a loose ball)

we use our depth , athleticism, and experience to deliver a high energy new type of team.
we go undefeated and annoint crean emperor?
ok, its fun to dream.
SidViciousDawg
Your scenario qualifies as plausible. Of course it's unlikely but yeah, there's a chance. If this bunch, with Crean at the helm, is .500 or better in league play that'll be a huge accomplishment.

Camaraderie is at the bottom on the list of skills of Tom Crean and that's the only hope for this team. Long, long odds on us being better than last year.

I've talked to two AD's this week, I casually know at mid majors, they are pretty doomsday in how this season plays out, an abbreviated schedule at best to zilch is where they believe we're headed. An Asst at a third mid major is pretty negative as well. They're practicing/working out in 4 man "pods" so if one test positive they only shut that group down for 14 days not the whole team. This is gonna be a nightmare, at some point you've gotta mix everyone together plus other teams.
fladawg59
thats a depressing thought.
no college basketball.
at least we then have a chance to go undefeated.
if we do play who do you see as our leading scorer?
Monkdawg
Kier, Wheeler or Camara are probably our leading scorers. Walton is possible. I would bet Kier.
fladawg59
i was thinking kier also.
that sounds optimistic for walton to be in the conversation.
what was his issue last year?
can he get a redshirt for that season with his limited play?
Monkdawg
I suspect Walton can get a redshirt for last year. I remember when I was in school and we signed Willie Anderson. He redshirted his 1st year and became an integral part of the team in his 1st season playing.
fladawg59
that would be awesome if he turns into willie anderson!
it doesnt seem they use the redshirt too often in basketball anymore.
he played so sparingly i assume he would qualify.
SidViciousDawg
He played in less than a third (7) games. It'd still require some sort of medical excuse, which are not that difficult to come up with. I'd think Walton would want it in case he transfers out of the program.

Or he could become one of our all-time greats under Crean's tutelage.
Monkdawg
I believe Walton was reported to have had some medical issues last year. There were several games I remember that he didn't dress out. Maybe by the time he was healthy so much of the season had been lost that it was decided to hold him out. Plus he played the same position as Edwards. There wouldn't have been many available minutes.
fladawg59
ok. we have a new level of reason to think walton might be a ball player.
lets go with the theory he was purposefully held back for several reasons.
he was rated higher than camara and wheeler in hs. if he and brown
take big steps forward maybe we have something for this season?

i know its not awesome but as an optimist i'll say 7-11 in sec.
lets forget the virus for now.
any other predictions?
dawglegright
KD Johnson is 6'3" now?

Monkdawg
If true, he's grown a ton since I watched video of him. I don't believe he's that tall.
fladawg59
i grew a lot at that age also.
unfortunately i wasnt very good at basketball before or after.
i was never highly regarded at stegeman gym for pick up hoops.
who was stegeman anyway?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.