Another new grad transfer

3,141 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Monkdawg
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PJ Horne from Va Tech. 6'6" post player. Solid game, nothing spectacular. And Crean looks like he is still recruiting.
Nostradawgus
Whoops. That means somebody is exiting the building. The McMillan situation gets curiouser and curiouser.

Horn at 6'5" hopefully isn't replacing McMillan. If he is, we are going to get destroyed in the paint. Destroyed.

I could be wrong. He's already grown to 6'7" on the interwebs lol
neKKiDawg
Until we hear otherwise, my best guess is that McMillan did not make it in. I'm not sure what to hope for here, as there is so much unknown about many of these guys (which includes Walton, who saw so few minutes last season).
gritsK9
Obviously lacks ideal size, but actually was full time starter for VT at the 5 - should be able to provide some serviceable minutes there if necessary.
Monkdawg
Yeah, either someone else is leaving or someone didn't get in. Don't overlook Starks. He may not make it in. And someone on the current team may leave. Or both things could happen, which may explain why Crean is still recruiting in this class.
neKKiDawg
It appears that Michael Peake is the exiting current player. No inside info here, but I suspect this is about him wanting to be closer to his home/family in Kansas City.
Monkdawg
Don't know about wanting to be closer to family. I think it was dissatisfaction over playing time.
dawglegright
I hate to see Peake leave. I thought he had some upside.
neKKiDawg
Peake seemed like an energetic competitor on the court. His playing time as an unheralded true freshman seemed to increase as the season went on. With Hammonds electing to stay in the draft, the opportunity was/is available for Peake or any of the frontcourt players to greatly increase their roles.
Monkdawg
I agree. Peake was the last player signed in his class and came into Athens in August of last year. He missed the whole summer and was fighting an uphill battle for PT from the beginning. Then Ngumeze left in midseason. I would have given him more PT, particularly after that. But so many kids today are about instant gratification. They don't seem to have patience. I would have liked to see him stay and grow as a player. He has some upside. That said, we have guys who were much higher rated than him on the roster who can fill his spot. Peake was not going to be a great scorer, but he hustled and played defense and ran the floor well. Maybe he was mad that Camara was able to show more of his skills last year. We have to see how Taylor, McMillan, Ned, Horne and Garcia fit in and what they bring to the table. Peake is a loss but not insurmountable.
Drillerman
Saw some video of PJ Horne!! Plays like Jonas Hayes did inside but can shoot the 3 from outside as well!! Has quick release and good form!! Good find IMO!!
Monkdawg
I watched a few Va Tech games last season, so I saw Horne some. He didn't stand out much because he got in foul trouble quite early. I think he's a solid player, but I don't have hopes that he will be a "game changer" or anything like that. Comparing him with Jonas is probably a good comparison.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.