So who looks to be our starting 5 next year?

2,911 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Nostradawgus
RedDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're losing Crump, Harris, Gresham and Edwards.
I'm guessing Hammonds, Camara and Wheeler are pretty well inked in as starters. So who are the other two? Fagan? Brown? A newcomer? Will someone like Walton, Peake, or Howard step up?
With those named above, I'm not overflowing with confidence over how much improvement this team will make in year three.
SidViciousDawg
Let's look at who's coming in as of now.... 2 undersized PGs in KD Johnson and JUCO Mikal Starks and 2 forwards in Josh Taylor and JUCO Jonathan Ned. I don't see help coming from either JUCO. KD along with Wheeler will have PG covered adequately.

Camara will certainly continue as a starter along with Hammonds if he returns; I'm not sure that's a given, even with his recent remarks. He's not getting drafted this year or next, so why not go ahead and make some $'s overseas.

Fagan starts by default at the other guard unless we think we can get by with Wheeler and Johnson on the floor together (we can't). SG is a huge area of need, obviously.

Howard & Peake plus the signee Taylor leave us pretty weak inside, Hammonds helps if he returns. The wildcard is the possibility of signing Mike Foster if he gets reclassified to the '20 class. Here's my WAG...

PG Wheeler
CG Fagan (We have no SG)
SF Camara
PF Hammonds or Peake
PF/C Howard or (our only hope) Foster

Best case scenario is Hammonds comes back and we sign Foster and find a SG somewhere. That'd make us a middle of the pack SEC Team. If 2 of those 3 things don't happen we are doomed to be dead last next year. Looking kinda likely.

Monkdawg
I don't think we can guess at a starting line-up until we see what attrition takes place and who we round out the class with. I agree that the current incoming class is underwhelming. Not sure any of them are immediate help. We definitely need at least 1 good post and 1 wing/SG to add to the class who can help right now.
begger
I expect/hope that one of the starters at the 2 or 3 is a top grad transfer. Wheeler at the point, Camara and Hammonds inside, Brown has the most minutes for a returning wing. With Fagan next up as a G.
Nostradawgus
Beggar I hope you're right about the 2/3. Unless Crean pulls a stud rabbit out of his hat I don't see how we score in 20-21, and not sure Crean makes year five.

I'm actually high on the JUCO PG Johnson based solely on his film. He is undersized but could.play a little 2.

I have to believe - have to - that there will be attrition of at least two players from the existing roster.
Monkdawg
KD Johnson is not a JUCO. He played at a prep school this year as a senior in HS.

I do agree that we will see some attrition. We have got to get a post in this class, maybe 2, and we need a SG who can score.
gritsK9
SG who can score? This guy looks the part:

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/recruiting/dimencio-vaughn-final-three-basketball
Nostradawgus
That would be a hell of a pick up.

I'd say we got a few minutes laying around at the 2 guard we can offer him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.