PG glut? SG shortage?

3,498 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by blackmountaindawg
Nostradawgus
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Technically, we now have five point guards - Fagan (so.), Gresham (grad), Wheeler (fr.), and commits Stark and Johnson.

After this season we will presumably have no SG unless you consider Walton a SG. But that is one.

Do Fagan, Wheeler, Stark or Johnson project as a SG?

I suppose Crean could mirror Kirby's "man ball" and go PG with four "bigs" . . .We will have a lot of forward type bodies . . .
Teddybulldawg
would not surprise if Fagan moves on.
Monkdawg
Not really the math I would use. LOL We currently have Gresham, Crump, Fagan, Wheeler and Edwards who play PG. We are certainly losing Gresham, Crump and Edwards, and perhaps Fagan. Only Wheeler is definite to come back. So I can see the need for PG signees. Further, we will lose Harris, Crump, Gresham & Edwards who play SG or wing. In Crean's system, SGs might be simply wings. We return Walton, Brown, Camara and the JUCO Ned, I believe, just going from memory. We haven't seen enough from any of these guys yet to know what they are capable of. Brown can surely guard the wing. The others probably can. But we will be down some offensive firepower at that position if we don't sign a real scorer there. We certainly need to sign another SG/wing type, but we also need a post badly. I think Crean was going hard after Hassan Diarra, who we lost out on last week. I'm sure he wants a bigtime guard to replace Edwards.
blackmountaindawg
Fagan is not a point. He is a SG, or maybe you could say, a combo guard. He is buried at the bottom of a 6 guard rotation this season. With 4 of those guys ahead of him leaving, he could find himself in the top 2 or 3 rotation next season, especially if he can start hitting some perimeter shots.
Monkdawg
I like Fagan. He has a good attitude and hustles when he's in. But he doesn't shoot well enough from the perimeter to really be a SG IMHO. I hope 2 years of shooting drills under Crean can make him better at that. He needs to be better defensively, too, and cut down on the TOs.
Teddybulldawg
I like Fagan too. He's a gamer, but that game might not get more than 5 mins a game in the SEC. Might be better suited for the Southern Conference.
blackmountaindawg
So if Fagan leaves for the Southern Conf, or another, we will have 1 returning guard. We gotta hope he returns. I think he gets at least 12-15 min/gm, maybe more, next season. The juco Starks' might improve his shooting this season. But if his freshman season shooting doesn't improve, his shot is not better than Fagan's.
gritsK9
I think Fagan = Hightower/Toppin and do not expect him to be on the team next year. If I'm wrong, great.
blackmountaindawg
gritsK9 said:

I think Fagan = Hightower/Toppin and do not expect him to be on the team next year. If I'm wrong, great.
Toppin and HiT could see a glut at their positions. Fagan is 1 of only 2 returning guards. Crean will look to him for upperclass leadership next season and encourage him to come back and be a big part of a 4 guard rotation..
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.