Welcome any thoughts / observations from Stegmania

3,806 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Teddybulldawg
Nostradawgus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now that football season is over.
Monkdawg
Here's what I saw:

Edwards is going to be everything we thought he was. Quick and strong with the ball; great passer; really good midrange game, but gotta see him hit some from distance. He will be our best player and maybe our best PG. Really good off the ball as well.

Camara - as I predicted months ago, this is a guy to watch. He has really long arms and legs, very serious on the court. He's not in Athens to play around. Love his attitude. Made 1 from range and did some very nice stuff inside. I think he will fill out more and maybe even grow a bit more. Plays hard on defense. Watch him while you can.

Peake, our last signee, has huge thighs and is really athletic. He's 6'7" and looks like he can have an impact. Keep an eye on him.

Walton has a nice stroke from distance and is athletic. Look forward to seeing more from him.

Howard is much thicker than I thought he was. Moves well for his size; big hands. I don't think we are looking at another Mike Edwards with him. Didn't shoot his FTs well. Likes to block shots.

Gresham has a really pretty stroke. With his experience, I think he will play a fair amount - maybe start.

The only disappointment for me was Wheeler. He's not ready to take the reins yet. He has octopus arms, so he'll be very good defensively. He made a couple of poor passes, and his stroke needs work. A little loose with the ball in his hands. I wonder whether he might be a touch out of shape. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a fine player for us, but it may take longer than I thought.

Brown - he's a PF in a SF body. He does play hard and work hard on defense. I need to see more.

Harris is gonna be a player for us this year. His shot looks good. We know he can play defense.

Crump is who he is. He's gonna shoot 3s, and probably not make a high percentage.

Didn't see much from Fagan except for the airball FT. Ugh...

Hammonds looked to be in good shape. We need a lot from him and Ngumeze inside. Ngumeze looked very athletic himself. If his attitude is good, he can help us a lot.
rossvilledog
Thanks Monk. I'm stoked. Tho that is too bad about Sahvir- had hoped he would come in gangbusters.

I saw where season tickets are sold out for the first time ever.
Haney
Edwards was impressive as I thought he would be but I am telling you the Peake kid is the one that really caught me by surprise, I think we got a STEAL there. I think this team has a legit chance to make some noise because as I figured would happen, Edwards elevates the game of all around him.
Monkdawg
Yeah, I don't mean to say that Sahvir won't help us eventually, just perhaps not as soon as we had hoped. He's quick and has long, long arms which will make him tough defensively. I just think offensively he's behind.
Monkdawg
I liked Peake, too. I thought he was really athletic (he was in the dunk contest) and has big thighs. I didn't see much in terms of his skills in the scrimmage. He's probably behind, having missed the summer, and is playing catch up in terms of the system Crean plays. When he gets comfortable, he could be an impact player. Camara was the sure bet impact player I saw (other than Edwards, of course). That's no surprise to some of us. We expected him to play a big role pretty quickly.
Haney
Yes, I based what I said on the explosiveness in the dunk contest as I attended but then had something come up where I had to be on the phone during the scrimmage-I didn't see much detail from that except Edwards just looked so smooth and in control. I know he is only one player but I am convinced he alone will elevate the players around him, and we have enough around him to be a very competitive team. He will draw so much attention, a lot of guys will be WIDE OPEN. You can just tell the kid has it, and we need to enjoy the one year we have with him.

Peake has the leaping ability/explosiveness as I mentioned, to where I like what I see. Will that translate into production I don't know, but I wasn't very aware of him honestly, and he caught me by surprise.
Monkdawg
I think Peake's signing caught us all by surprise - but it looks like a pleasant surprise. The athleticism is there; skills - don't know yet.

I agree with you about Edwards. The kid is just a natural. I think he will give us some open looks. Can we knock them down? Hard to say.

I think our success will be determined by chemistry and the ability to play defense myself.
Haney
The scrimmage didn't give you the feel of great defense, but then again, it was just a scrimmage with a mix/match roster. It reminded me a lot of the NBA all star game though, just not a lot of structure to the game at all. I think how quickly the team gels will be crucial, and imagine if we had Clax back added to this group. Oh well, I still think this team can win some games and sneak in the tourney if Edwards stays healthy-he is the type of talent the committee will want to invite if at all possible.
Teddybulldawg
Was not at the Stegomania, but did watch the first half of the Valdosta game in person.
Wheeler was my biggest surprise. He makes things happen.
He, Ant, Crump, Harris did the most at guard imo. Did not see much form Gresham or Tye.
We will struggle to rebound and defend big and physical teams.
Will have to win with quickness.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.