FR Michael Peake is our newest addition

6,076 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PaulWesterdawg
neKKiDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6'7, 220 PF from KC, Missouri . 2019 signee and should be in Athens within 10 days.
Nostradawgus
Is this the paint presence deemed inadequate on the roster? Is he a banger and rebounder at 6'7 220?
begger
Sounds like that's the role he expects. Doesn't look thick enough to really bang.

Seems a solid athlete, reclassified from 2020 to make it happen.
neKKiDawg
I suspect he is "thicker" than Walton or Brown (& possibly Camara). As some posters stated in an earlier thread, much of rebounding especially is the "want to." Don't know where he rates in this department. Sounds like we are moving more towards "positionless basketball" and the staff wants the full 13 on scholarship for the SEC wars.
blackmountaindawg
His game looks similar to 4 star Christian Brown, and since UGA is his only high major offer, he could be called a "poor man's C. Brown." Practice scrimmages could be worth a $10 ticket to watch. Crean could split up the 2 walkons, and put 3 complete competitive teams rotating in and out
Monkdawg
Peake is not a scorer. He's a rebounder and defender. He's pretty solidly built. Yes, I wish he were perhaps 2 inches taller, but you can be an effective post presence at 6'7".
gritsK9
I really like this kid already. (Scroll down article to text.)

https://247sports.com/player/michael-peake-46042298/
begger
For help soon, to me it's not height as much as width. Some undersized bangers do it in hustle and smarts (Shon Coleman, among others would fit his build). But most of the 6'6, 6'7 bigs we've had were pretty broad shouldered. Jonas, Ant Evans, Larry Brown (of course), etc. They had a lot of girth to help them get space inside.
blackmountaindawg
Chris Daniels might be a good comparison to Peake. I hope he goes after it like CD.
gritsK9
Crean has definitely taken the attitude "the hell with class balance, I'll figure that out later" - and I'm okay with that..
neKKiDawg
gritsK9 said:

Crean has definitely taken the attitude "the hell with class balance, I'll figure that out later" - and I'm okay with that..

I believe when we hired Crean, an IU fan came to one of our UGA basketball forums and stated that our coach always wanted to have the full complement of 13 on scholarship. Am I correct in thinking that as long as they are on track academically, having transfers doesn't hurt the grading numbers (the exact terminology escapes me at this moment)?
blackmountaindawg
gritsK9 said:

The 2020 class is looking ok with 4 spots, but we have to have some early departures or the 2021 class will be 1, and the 2022 class 2., if I am counting right. Hammonds only sr opening up a spot for 2021 class.
begger
I was/am a huge fan of CD bmd so that would be great. Not an impact guy as a freshman, but gave some decent minutes before blossoming as a sophomore.
Monkdawg
I could be wrong, but the film I've watched doesn't remind me of Daniels. CD was a Swiss army knife kind of player. He could handle the ball on the perimeter and even score out there some. He was very active and athletic with great hands. I don't see that with Peake. He's more of an Evans or Coleman type, I think, though perhaps not as wide yet. At least that's what he has demonstrated on the film I saw. He's got a slow release on his outside shot, but shows good hands around the basket. I want to see what Crean can do with him.
blackmountaindawg
I was thinking athletically. Hopefully he will develop those skills under CTC.
Monkdawg
I don't see Peake in the same class athletically as CD, but few are really. CD could bring the ball up the floor against a press, score at every level and defend all 5 positions on defense. That's rare. Peake looks like an undersized post player to me. I don't see the perimeter skills or athletic ability I saw with CD, Sure, he will develop under Crean, but I doubt he will approach Chris Daniels.
blackmountaindawg
I was thinking of "athletically" as the description of Peake as being bouncy and active in the paint, the way CD was. I doubt he ever becomes more than a 10-15 minute reserve, with the other talent CTC is bringing in, unless he grows, or develops a perimeter game, which CD didn't really show much of in JH's system, only taking about 30 3 ptrs his whole career, hitting 28%.
Monkdawg
CD just seems a lot more twitchy to me based on the film I watched. I need to lay eyes on Peake.
PaulWesterdawg
The class balance will sort itself out.

4 next year for sure. Plus it's VERY likely that we will have 1 attrition every year just as we always have.

If you bring in 5 next year including 1 grad transfer....then that means...

The following year we only have 1 open scholly from a current JR. But we will logically have 1 player of attrition each of the prior 2 years leading up that. So you have 3 to offer PLUS 1 if you have a Grad Transfer arriving the prior year. So 4 would arrive even though we currently only have 1 JR and a full roster.

It always sorts itself out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.