Any chance on a grad transfer big still?

3,436 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Haney
begger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Or is it too late in the process for that? Fall semester is just a few weeks away so there isn't much time left to get some interior D on the roster, if there is any time left at all.
Monkdawg
I sure hope so.
Nostradawgus
If it's coming my best guess would be it's coming out of Europe.

I'm not banking on it. For as well as Crean recruited I just have to believe another big wasn't brought in because the coaches didn't see a crisis and were comfortable with what they got.

But I'm a Georgia basketball fan, so I believe the Easter bunny is actually going to show up one day.
blackmountaindawg
Keep an eye on this juco: 6'9 235 DeShawn Thomas out of Florida SW St College. UGA has made contact. Nothing special, but would give Crean an "emergency big guy" on the bench next 2 seasons.
Haney
At this point, I wouldn't expect it-and I wouldn't use a spot just to use a spot unless it was for only one year. I am more interested in how recruiting is going for 2020, can Crean do what Kirby has been doing and stack top classes back to back. We have had some good classes in the past, but nothing sustained over a few years. Obviously we will lose our stud after one year and also will lose Harris and Crump, we need to be bringing in a top 10-15 class again next year. Consistency to me has always been the biggest obstacle for UGA basketball.

With that being said, Beggar/Monk/others, what are you hearing for 2020??
blackmountaindawg
I would be pleasantly surprised to see Crean landing another top 10-20 class. But without getting results in post season it might be a stretch. I don't want to get greedy too soon in this rebuild process. Just backing up the 2019 class with a top 30 class, with a big man, should really create a strong roster and get things rolling.
begger
He's certainly going after another big class. I think he finds a way to pull it off but don't know anything specific anymore.
Monkdawg
I expect him to sign another good class, but he's gonna have to do it with out of state kids for the most part. None of the Big Dogs in-state are looking at us, sadly. 3 5 stars in GA, and we won't get a bite there. We have some good offers out. Crean has always recruited everywhere he's been.
blackmountaindawg
Creans's 2019 class broke into the top 10 by having the #1, or #2, recruit signed, along with 4 other top 100 guys. Getting more top 100 guys will happen again in 2020. But signing a player like Ant was historical for UGA, or at the least, a generational signing. If Crean can get another signing like that, back to back, he could get the title of "Wizard of Recruitment".

I am concerned, a little, on all the UGA offers out there for 3 star guys. A diamond in the rough is great to find, just hope we don't have to depend on too many "signees from the rough" in one class.
Monkdawg
No doubt guys like Edwards come around once in a blue moon. Crean will sign guys he thinks can play his system. He has taken fliers on underrated guys before and had it pay off. He has demonstrated a pretty good eye.
begger
And it's not like we can't have a strong crew.
For 2020 you'd be looking at...
Wheeler (so) and Fagan (jr) as PG options. Walton (so) and Brown (so) on the wings. Hammonds (sr) and Camara (so) as wing Fs. Ngumezi (jr) and Howard (so) down low. That's a solid core, and gives us a nice foundation going forward. Particularly with a couple quality additions in the 2020 class.
Haney
I think this season will be very important to setting the standard on the court and the recruiting trail. Crean was able to hook the big fish to help get the culture started, now the record needs to improve to catch the eyes of the younger kids in 2021 potentially. I know there is a super PG at Grayson that might have some interest in UGA, I would love to have him-but we will need a couple bigs in class of 2020 for sure. I don't think we have to have a national top 10-15 class but I would hope maybe we could follow the 19 class up with a top 25 class-that is what is needed. As begger pointed out, the roster will still be pretty strong for next year, so just keep adding quality pieces.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.