Anyone hearing "stuff" on how the newcomers are looking this summer?

12,080 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Haney
begger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nobody is saying you CANT at those heights. It can be done. Even by shorter as we've had several quality posts over the years closer to 6'6, even 6'5, than 6'9.

But do you have the mentality and physicality to do work around the paint and on the blocks? Size helps down there, but size alone has never gotten it done either.
jpzd33
SidViciousDawg said:

There is certainly talent on this team but I can't recall ever having such a void inside. If I look at this roster versus 2014-15 with Thornton, Djurisic and Maten inside and Mann, Gaines and Frazier on the perimeter I'd give the edge to the 2014-15 team.

Having the #1 draft pick didn't work out well for LSU in 2015-16 when they went 18-13 and 11-7 in league and were left out of the tourney. Even worse for Washington in 2016-17 when they finished 9-22 overall.

Even if Ngumezi makes an unforeseen huge leap this year we are still incredibly weak inside. I can't see how we defend or rebound well enough to contend. We'll get hot in some games and with Edwards we'll be able to outscore some decent teams. Still my prediction of 6-8 wins versus Haney's 9-11 wins aren't that far apart. Overall the SEC looks to be down a bit this year so getting to 9-9 might be attainable if all goes well.
Without seeing this team play yet, it is impossible to say 15 team was better. I mean, Hammonds is a far superior basketball to both Thornton and Djurisic. We haven't seen enough of Ngumeze to determine what he will be. I think Harris could be better than Gaines. He's a better shooter and a better athlete. This season, he should be in line to get consistent minutes. Edwards should be much better than any of the perimeter players on that team. I'm sure he will be. Will a guy like Walton or Brown step up and be the guy as a freshman? Will Gresham be good playing at a higher level? Will Crump be able to get his shot to fall consistently this season with more spacing? Is Camara ready to contribute 12-15 mins off the bench playing downlow?

Defensively UGA does not have the rim protector downlow since Clax left. BUT, they could and hopefully should be improved on the perimeter D. Stopping penetration better than last season helps negate the loss of the rim protector. Want to see both Ngumeze and Hammonds play a bit tougher especially going for boards.

Offensively the team should be really good. Especially from 3. Edwards, Harris and Hammonds. With Gresham and Crump. Not sure about Camara, Walton or Brown. But if 1 or 2 of them could step up... The sky is the limit on O
blackmountaindawg
Monkdawg said:

Boy, what I would give to have Nemi and Thornton on this team. Or Nemi and Maten.
What I would have given to have seen Crean coach those guys back then, along with Gaines and JJ.
StevieBuckets
begger said:

Nobody is saying you CANT at those heights. It can be done. Even by shorter as we've had several quality posts over the years closer to 6'6, even 6'5, than 6'9.

But do you have the mentality and physicality to do work around the paint and on the blocks? Size helps down there, but size alone has never gotten it done either.
THIS.

We had the size last year and our rebounding, in particular, was...not great. Now we don't have the size, so if it was a coaching problem, things will probably get worse. If it was mentality and work ethic, maybe the young bucks can get the job done.
blackmountaindawg
begger said:

Yep. As I posted earlier, AN and RH's 6'9 235 size is plenty for today's' game , but it is the size of their "heart" that will spell their success or failure.
SidViciousDawg
I agree with Begger as well...
The issue is all three "young bucks" identify and were recruited as small forwards and have little desire to play inside offensively much less on the defensive end. Walton is my personal favorite of the three but he is not capable of helping with defending the post or giving us much help rebounding. Don't expect much better from Brown or Camara.

Haney
Honestly, we don't know what the spin used to recruit these guys was, but working on being a capable rebounder and defender down low is something these young guys need to do to help our team but also help themselves for the next level if they plan to move there. If guys like us are talking about a need for some defensive and rebounding help down low, I feel VERY SURE Coach Crean/staff also recognize the need and that is being worked on now. Defense and rebounding is about "want to", it is like say WR's and RB's blocking in football-you have to want to do it and if you don't, someone else will take your spot (assuming someone else steps up).

I believe we will find some kids capable of stepping up-if not, we are in deep trouble even with an improved offense.
blackmountaindawg
SidViciousDawg said:

I agree with Begger as well...
The issue is all three "young bucks" identify and were recruited as small forwards and have little desire to play inside offensively much less on the defensive end. Walton is my personal favorite of the three but he is not capable of helping with defending the post or giving us much help rebounding. Don't expect much better from Brown or Camara.

I disagree. Camara is 6'8 220 and projected to get a lot of minutes in the paint, and the staff expects him to perform there well for a freshman. Where did you find this "they have little desire to play inside"?
SidViciousDawg
Look at Camara's tape from high school and AAU. I don't wanna say never, but he very rarely catches the ball anywhere near the paint. He starts outside the 3 pt line and will shoot it there if open or slashes to the rim for a dunk or pull-up jumper. He looks great on the fast break and handles the ball well. In a four out offense he'll be ok as long as Ngumezi or Hammonds (not optimum) are the one in.

As for where'd I get this... these kids (Camara, Walton, Brown) wanna get to the NBA and they're not getting there as a power forward or post player. All three played on the perimeter in high school and AAU ball, now we're asking them to play and defend the post against SEC caliber players? I guarantee "moving you inside" was not part of our recruitment spiel.

I'm not that concerned offensively, we can score, defending the post and rebounding is where we'll struggle.
Haney
Good points Sid but I also know that if they are 6-9 or 6-10, they better be able to defend a 4, which in the NBA is going to be usually more down low than outside-and they better be able to grab rebounds. The fact they were taller than most kids in HS but played on the perimeter does cause me a little concern, not going to lie. BUT, as I said before, our coaches I am sure recognize more than we do where they need help and where these kids need to be at to help for this season.
begger
In the NBA now, the 4 is outside as much as inside. Either starting with their handle (ala Ben Simmons) or shooting wise (Durant when the Warriors often went small).

All players need to be able defend the perimeter now, with even 5s often stepping out for more than just the pick, but often to pop if not drive. It's a much more outside oriented game, but all need to be effective inside or out (with bigger guards posting up for mismatched too) considering the new positionless styles.
neKKiDawg
I happened to be driving from 9:00-9:30 this morning and listened to Chuck Dowdle on Bulldawg Roundtable on 680-the-fan. I know he is employed by UGAA and is paid to be a cheerleader, so what he says has to be taken with several grains of salt. He said he watched the staff working with this team, and the talent upgrade was very impressive. Ant Edwards was singled out, and he talked about how returnees Crump, Harris & Amanze (has lost weight, but more muscular in the chest & shoulders) looked improved.
Haney
Agree Begger-and that has been my argument about why I believe our team WILL be much improved this season and make the dance, because we have a big talent upgrade. Besides losing Clax (which is a big loss), we really have upgraded. DO was a big man in the middle but he was not consistent, and the guards we lost certainly we upgraded. Coupled with the talent loss at nearly every SEC program, it is not a stretch to think this team can win 10 SEC games after only 2 last year, as I pointed out all the close losses the last two months of SEC play.

Obviously interior defense/rebounding and overall youth are the issues to deal with but I am very excited to see what this team can become and as mentioned, moving the 3 point line back to me only helps our particular team-as does the athleticism we have now to play uptempo and even apply pressure. We shall see what happens but I am bullish on the Bullpups this season.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.