Men's college basketball 3-point line extended to international distance

2,859 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Doc 18
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-06-05/mens-college-basketball-3-point-line-extended-international

June 5, 2019

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved moving the 3-point line to the international basketball distance of 22 feet, 1 inches in men's basketball. The rule will be effective for the 2019-'20 season in Division I. When the line was moved before the 2008-'09 season, the distance went from 19 feet, 9 inches to 20 feet, 9 inches.
dawgpostsucks
Btw, the 3-point line is 19 feet, 9 inches in high school basketball.
Haney
This is an interesting change, I think it is one that benefits the players in getting them more prepared for the NBA game, but there are a lot of teams that feast on the 3 point line, and moving it back will cut the percentages down one would think. Thus, it will become more about having a balanced team that can score from all over-inside and out, that will be the most successful. The jury is out on whether this helps our team for next year, but considering all the wings we have-that are not necessarily 3 point shooters, this should open the floor more for kids like our new PG Wheeler and Antman, allowing them to beat their guys and drive to the basket to dish or shoot. If a team has to come out further to guard you, respecting your 3 point shot (assuming we have some guys that can hit a decent percentage) it really should open up the middle more.
Fat Doc 18
This got me to thinking about the drop in % with the pro line and how I would defend it.
I looked at the top 10 %age 3 point shooters among rookies in the NBA and compared that to their last year in college. The % went from 39.6 in college to 36.9 in pros. The only one of these 10 with a significant increase was Collin Sexton from 33.6 to 40 in the pros.
Interestingly, none of these were in top 10 their last year in college in attempts, makes, or %
I agree that if the defense is pulled out for further then things should open up. However, I wonder if the line itself should be the 3 point defender, actually causing the defense to be more packed in. When you face a Seth Curry you could then employ a diamond and one or box and one. Please educate me further.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.