UGA HC Tom Crean hired John Linehan as an assistant coach

3,444 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jpzd33
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.hartfordhawks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=722

dawgpostsucks
https://georgiadogs.com/news/2019/5/10/mens-basketball-linehan-joins-georgia-basketball-staff.aspx
gritsK9
Have to trust Crean on this one. My sense is that the new guy will be great as a coach, but concern is he is starting from scratch as a recruiter in this part of the country.
willpmd
I have to say, Crean has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to recruiting with me.

This class is better than Mark Fox's best 6 for his entire tenure.
Every man should believe in something, I believe Florida sucks
begger
He does have Dollar to help him. And Crean has already gotten kids to help make or break him going forward. I agree it's not ideal but there's better cushion for this guys learning curve on that aspect of recruiting.

Plus Crean is going out of state quite well, and hit the NE hard for players it seems. And you never know what contacts this guy made overseas.
Monkdawg
It's not often that you see the head coach that was an assistant's former boss tweet out his congratulations and well wishes to his former assistant, bragging on how good the assistant is, but that's what happened.
Monkdawg
begger said:

He does have Dollar to help him. And Crean has already gotten kids to help make or break him going forward. I agree it's not ideal but there's better cushion for this guys learning curve on that aspect of recruiting.

Plus Crean is going out of state quite well, and hit the NE hard for players it seems. And you never know what contacts this guy made overseas.
Given that there are not many in-state kids at a high level that we are looking good on, I think we will be going out of state in the next class for at least 3-4 guys. Correct. Linehan helps, not only in the NE, but also in Europe where he played many years. You can bet he has connections there.

Amir was a slam dunk, no doubt about it, hire. Linehan is a bit of an outside-the-box hire with great potential upside. And he will help our guards and overall team defense immensely.
jpzd33
Monkdawg said:

begger said:

Given that there are not many in-state kids at a high level that we are looking good on, I think we will be going out of state in the next class for at least 3-4 guys. Correct. Linehan helps, not only in the NE, but also in Europe where he played many years. You can bet he has connections there.

Amir was a slam dunk, no doubt about it, hire. Linehan is a bit of an outside-the-box hire with great potential upside. And he will help our guards and overall team defense immensely.
I know Crean was scouting a few 2020 guys from Connecticut a few weeks ago. I'm sure his Hartford tenure doesn't hurt with that either
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.