Amir Abdur-Rahim hired as Kennesaw State's Men's Basketball Head Coach

4,407 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jpzd33
SidViciousDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
???, sure didn't see that coming. Seemed Oliver from Tennessee was the guy, then Pettway from Bama rumors started, he even met w/ the team was the story I'd heard. Seems odd but you just never know how these things shake out I guess. That's a tough job.
gritsK9
Ouch! This one hurts. Great opportunity for him, though, to build something from nothing, which I expect he'll do.

Crucial hire coming up for us, though. Homesick, Jonas?
jpzd33
gritsK9 said:

Ouch! This one hurts. Great opportunity for him, though, to build something from nothing, which I expect he'll do.

Crucial hire coming up for us, though. Homesick, Jonas?
No way Jonas goes back to UGA after only 1 year.

I wonder if Crean gives his old buddy Bennie Seltzer a call. Or Darrin Horn
Haney
I can never blame a guy for taking a move up, so good luck to him at Kennesaw, he does well there he will quickly get a bigger school to come after him.

As for the hire, I hope it is someone that has connections to the Atlanta AAU scene-no someone that screams "dirt" but someone that already knows the kids there. To me the key to keeping the ball rolling is building off this class-Edwards AAU coach now loves UGA and that is a good start.
gritsK9
I agree with that job description.

Wonder if Toppin, Hightower and/or Ignas will be interested in or wanted by KSU.
blackmountaindawg
How about Jarvis?
Monkdawg
I could see Jarvis. That would be an excellent hire by Crean. But he will probably go for someone more experienced.
Monkdawg
Jonas has a really good thing going on at Xavier. They are stocking up on some serious talent. Xavier has a chance to be really successful over the next few years.
Monkdawg
It is a move up, if you consider he's going home and will be a HC. But he's taking a pay cut to coach at a school that won't put the resources behind his program, and he's several years, I would think, from being competitive. KSU has one of the worst programs in division 1. Their roster is terrible. Amir is good; he will have to be a miracle worker to make anything out of that program.
dawgpostsucks
SidViciousDawg
Interesting. I have to think Amir knew it was coming and that likely came into play in his decision to jump to KSU before this became public. Some really damning stuff in testimony today regarding Yasir at Alabama as well. It's dirty as hell out there, playing clean you have little chance.

Virginia does it clean but Bennett rarely if ever goes after 5 stars (W Kess is an exception and doesn't need $) and Bennett wants players for 3-4 years. Plus he plays that awful boring basketball that nobody likes to watch (sarcasm).
gritsK9
I'm not nobody. I love to watch Virginia play. Love tenacious defense. Same thing in football. Hate video game offenses.
SidViciousDawg
Me either... won them a NC. Just a little gig at many poster's on here.
jpzd33
SidViciousDawg said:

Interesting. I have to think Amir knew it was coming and that likely came into play in his decision to jump to KSU before this became public. Some really damning stuff in testimony today regarding Yasir at Alabama as well. It's dirty as hell out there, playing clean you have little chance.

Virginia does it clean but Bennett rarely if ever goes after 5 stars (W Kess is an exception and doesn't need $) and Bennett wants players for 3-4 years. Plus he plays that awful boring basketball that nobody likes to watch (sarcasm).

Virginia's best player Guy was a McDs AA. Half their roster was still made up of top 100 players including all the high impact players like Hunter, Jerome, and Diakiti. They're not a team that is void of top tier talent
SidViciousDawg
They get top 100 talent (not top 20) that stays with the team for 3-4 years and they're not stuffing cash in shoes, giving cars, buying momma a house, etc. I prefer that type of program. I'll take a team of high 3's and 4's that fans can build a relationship with over the 5's that you pay and move through like a piece of meat.
blackmountaindawg
jpzd33 said:

SidViciousDawg said:

Virginia's best player Guy was a McDs AA. Half their roster was still made up of top 100 players including all the high impact players like Hunter, Jerome, and Diakiti. They're not a team that is void of top tier talent
But UVA's Top 100 talent stays more than 1 season. That is the key to Bennett's success. He doesn't load up on One-n-Dones.
jpzd33
blackmountaindawg said:

jpzd33 said:

SidViciousDawg said:

But UVA's Top 100 talent stays more than 1 season. That is the key to Bennett's success. He doesn't load up on One-n-Dones.

Besides 1 KY and 1 Duke title, none of the champs are made up of 1 and dones.. Novax2, UNC, UCONNx2, Louisville etc. They're all lead by 2-3-4 yr players. But all lead by that McD AA 5*. Not a bunch of 3* players
blackmountaindawg
jpzd33 said:

blackmountaindawg said:

Besides 1 KY and 1 Duke title, none of the champs are made up of 1 and dones.. Novax2, UNC, UCONNx2, Louisville etc. They're all lead by 2-3-4 yr players. But all lead by that McD AA 5*. Not a bunch of 3* players
Yep, that is the key to all of those champs' titles, not named UK or Duke. Experienced players, 4 and and some 3*. I think I saw where there was at least one 2* in this years FF.
jpzd33
blackmountaindawg said:

jpzd33 said:

blackmountaindawg said:

Yep, that is the key to all of those champs' titles, not named UK or Duke. Experienced players, 4 and and some 3*. I think I saw where there was at least one 2* in this years FF.
You need the experience of course. You still need the top tier 5* talent though mixed in. I think it's something like only 2 champs in the last 30-40 years or so have won without a McD AA. Maryland and UCONN under Kevin Ollie. You need those players
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.