Did Fromm convince?

6,315 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RedDawg
BIGKNINE1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not in my eyes. He struggled mightily and at some point I really thought Coach Smart might make a change, but stuck with him even though Fromm wasn't having a great game. I believe Coach Smart ends losing another QB, if meaningful playing time isn't afforded.
To me Bentley had a much better game than Fromm's. I can not see how good Fields is when he can't even be considered to come in when his colleague is struggling like he was. Maybe the coaches don't have enough confidence in Fields..., for a reason.
Dawgs1971
What game were you watching?
Once a DAWG, Always a DAWG. How Sweet it is!!!
Darindawg
So uh...this is a...joke, right?
Fromm was %83 on completions with an 11 yard per attempt against a ranked SEC team in their stadium..and you'd call THAT struggling? Meanwhile Bentley was only %63 with 2 picks and only about 70 yards more than Fromm.

I'm waiting for the punchline....???
RedDawg
BIGKNINE1 said:

Not in my eyes. He struggled mightily and at some point I really thought Coach Smart might make a change, but stuck with him even though Fromm wasn't having a great game. I believe Coach Smart ends losing another QB, if meaningful playing time isn't afforded.
To me Bentley had a much better game than Fromm's. I can not see how good Fields is when he can't even be considered to come in when his colleague is struggling like he was. Maybe the coaches don't have enough confidence in Fields..., for a reason.
This is a joke, right?
Struggled "mightily"? 15 for 18 for 194 yards and a TD? He made one bad mistake with the pick, which yes, that was an awful decision (if he had sidestepped the rush to the right and hit Swift who had leaked out of the backfield, we get the 1st down there), and a couple other slightly questionable decisions, but that was it. His QBR was over 180 for the day with over 10 yds per attempt. Maybe not a Heisman day, but certainly winning football.
RedDawg
Darindawg said:

So uh...this is a...joke, right?
LOL!! ... Great minds :-)
ssidedawg
He had some shaky passes early but Smart was smart to stay with him. I would say he was "off" early for whatever reason but rallied. My critique is significantly less harsh and is primarily early first qtr only.

He raised his own bar and he is no longer a Freshman phenom but a dude who is expected to be sharp every play, every game.

Haney
He had a couple really BAD throws-the INT was horrible and really the first half after the 14-0 start (7 of which was the D scoring), the offense really didn't play that well. That being said, the second half was exactly like last year, total domination of an SECe opponent. SCarolina was the only team in the east to come within 14 points of us last year, so now we can say in the last two years, we have beaten every SEC team by 24 of more points, all with Fromm as QB.

I am ready for Fields to get some packages in the redzone, I think truly that is where he can make a huge impact if we get to the point (like the Falcons) that we are struggling in the red zone.
BIGKNINE1
Do you think then that Fields is an inferior QB to Fromm? Because of the lack, of meaningful,playing time I would say he isn't capable of making the coaches confident in what they have in Fields.
RedDawg
BIGKNINE1 said:

Do you think then that Fields is an inferior QB to Fromm? Because of the lack, of meaningful,playing time I would say he isn't capable of making the coaches confident in what they have in Fields.
Not at all. He is still a true Fr after all. Not only are the coaches confident in what Fromm can do, but so also is the team. But Fields' talent is obvious. I think we'll continue to see more and more of Fields as the season goes on.
Dawgs1971
Fromm was light years ahead of most freshman when he came in last year. Fields is not where near that level right now. Nothing against fields. He will get there. This discussion will be more relevant next year at this time. Once Fields learns the offense more and has a better feel for the college game.
Once a DAWG, Always a DAWG. How Sweet it is!!!
Darindawg
Well, I agree with the guy on ESPN talking the other night about Clemson and having Bryant and Lawrence...'There is no substitute for experience.' Look at Fromm's resume...
* Beat Oklahama in the Rose Bowl, OT game against the Heisman trophy winning QB
* Played Bama in the NC with the Universe watching...does it get ANY bigger than that?
* Played at Notre Dame in his SECOND game as a starter
* Played in the SEC Championship game against an Auburn team that had already prison raped us earlier in the season.

What has JF done to compare to any of that? So there were, playing SC and only up by 10 at half time in a hostile stadium. Lose this game and we can still make the SECCG, but the dream of returning to the NC would take a serious hit. Sticking with the QB that had been to the Nine Circles of Hell and back was the only logical choice. That's MHO.
ssidedawg
Dawgs1971 said:

Fromm was light years ahead of most freshman when he came in last year. Fields is not where near that level right now. Nothing against fields. He will get there. This discussion will be more relevant next year at this time. Once Fields learns the offense more and has a better feel for the college game.
How do you know?

Before Eason went down, Fromm had done as much as Fields, no? You cant use hindsight. We all were very nervous going in to South Bend. Now, I am not saying Fields could do a "2017 Fromm" but we don't know just like we didn't know we would play in Atlanta...three times.
BIGKNINE1
Exactly, we go by what the coaches say that JF is the real thing and blah, blah, blah,....! Yet, when it looks like there would be a real opportunity for him to get in the game, for meaningful playing time, the coaches stick with the QB we know all along is the favorite of the coaches. JF comes in when there is nothing to do but hand the ball to RBs (reminds me of J. Eason towards the end of his Bulldog dream) and when the opposition is really tired and incapable of fighting back. I guess JF would have a real chance if something like last year were to happen. But, if JF is not as good as they say, better stick with Fromm in good or bad, for the long run.
RedDawg
It's true, we don't really know how well Fields has mastered the playbook, or how well he could take command of the team in a pressure situation. The thing is we don't NEED to know that, because we do know all that about Jake Fromm. What we do know is that Fields is a supremely gifted quarterback, who has all the physical tools to succeed at the highest level. It just so happens that Kirby and staff have the luxury of bringing him along at a normal Freshman pace. As such, we will continue to see more and more of Fields, and in time he's going to impress all of us.

Enjoy the ride.
Piggskinn
Fromm will have the most wins in UGA history. Everyone on that sideline believes in him: coaches and players alike. They are not waiting for him to mess up, to see what the freshman can do. They have their leader, and they are gonna ride and die with him. He is not the most physically gifted guy. Maybe that's why it was hard to move past Eason for me, and many others and embrace Jake. His intangibles are hard to qualify, until the hay is in the barn. His mind is his greatest asset. That trumps a cannon arm. We've seen cannon arms and pea brains. Jamarcus Russell comes to mind. I'm sold. Kid is legit. I hope to live to see his whole UGA career. I think he'll be the unquestioned greatest QB we've had, once the hay is all in the barn.
ssidedawg
Piggskinn said:

Fromm will have the most wins in UGA history. Everyone on that sideline believes in him: coaches and players alike. They are not waiting for him to mess up, to see what the freshman can do. They have their leader, and they are gonna ride and die with him. He is not the most physically gifted guy. Maybe that's why it was hard to move past Eason for me, and many others and embrace Jake. His intangibles are hard to qualify, until the hay is in the barn. His mind is his greatest asset. That trumps a cannon arm. We've seen cannon arms and pea brains. Jamarcus Russell comes to mind. I'm sold. Kid is legit. I hope to live to see his whole UGA career. I think he'll be the unquestioned greatest QB we've had, once the hay is all in the barn.
Yes and No. Yes that Fromm is the real deal but he isn't untouchable because we didn't recruit a 5 star stud one year after Fromm to sit him for 2-3 years. Kirby will have to figure out a compromise, whatever that is but it wont be Fields with a clipboard and handing off in late blow outs.

Also, Jamarcus Russell? Dude....thats offensive to everyone, especially Fields. Your hay is moldy.
50G
Luckily we've been far better than our opponents so far, but Fromm needs to not lock in on one receiver. He needs to look off receivers like Alabama did to us on the last play. At times he holds the ball too long and doesn't use all receivers like Fields does. I'm sure Nauta loves Fields. At least he looks his way. People that just look at stats miss the whole point. Stats can be misleading. you have to watch the game and see why the stats are like that and what else happened or could have happened because of bad decisions, like holding the ball too long and almost losing a fumble near our endzone today.
RedDawg
Jake Fromm led the SEC in long-developing passes

RedDawg
And he led the Nation on deep passes:

ssidedawg
That was last year.

2018 (its early and we haven't had to air it out)

http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/leader/national/player/split01/category02/sort01.html

http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category02/sort01.html

RedDawg
ssidedawg said:

(its early and we haven't had to air it out)
But when we do:
http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/leader/national/player/split01/category02/sort03.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.