Anybody read any good books lately?

3,796 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DawgInTheSandhills
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This year I've read:

'The Institute' by Stephen King (D+) - I've read 37 of his novels and this is in the bottom 10, imo. Last good book I read from him was '11/22/63'. Fwiw, I also really enjoyed 'The Stand' (both iterations), 'The Green Mile' series, 'Different Seasons' (basis for the movies 'The Shawshank Redemption' and 'Stand By Me'), etc. from decades ago.

'Das Boot' by Lothar-Gunther Buchheim (B) - Nazi U-Boat trying to survive in the Atlantic Ocean during WWII

'Gulag Archipelago: Volume II' by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (B) - life in Soviet forced labor camps under Lenin/Stalin/Khrushchev

'Gulag Archipelago: Volume III' by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (B+) - I enjoyed the attempted escapes from the camps

'One Midnight to Midnight: Kennedy, Khrushchev, & Castro on the Brink of Nuclear War' by Michael Dobbs (A-) - mutually-assured destruction avoided by Kennedy agreeing to removing nuclear missiles from Turkey in exchange for Khrushchev agreeing to to remove nukes from Cuba (that could have hit Washington, D.C., NYC, etc.); btw, it was interesting to learn that the Soviets had tactical nukes on Cuba to use against invading American forces and to destroy the U.S. Naval Base at Guantanamo

'Down With Big Brother' by Michael Dobbs (B) - rapid dissolution of the Soviet Union under Gorbachev

'A Game of Thrones' by George R.R. Martin (B+) - I like the novel a bit better than the HBO TV series

'A Clash of Kings' by George R.R. Martin (B+) - TV producers started deviating from the novel here (e.g., Theon Greyjoy and his sister's stories)

Fwiw, I'm currently reading book #3 (i.e., 'A Storm of Swords') of 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series - am wondering when GRRM is going to finish book #6? He's been working on it since 2011, is 72 years old, and just signed a $50M contract w/ HBO to produce some Game of Thrones prequels.
Nostradawgus
If you like GoT you might like the four books of The Pillars of the Earth series by Ken Follett. I'm about done with the fourth, a prequel, The Evening and the Morning.
dawgpostsucks
Nostradawgus said:

If you like GoT you might like the four books of The Pillars of the Earth series by Ken Follett. I'm about done with the fourth, a prequel, The Evening and the Morning.
Thanks for the recommendation. I just checked out the reviews on Goodreads. It sounds like a great segue once I complete 'A Song of Fire and Ice' (aka 'Game of Thrones') series.
JudgeLarryDawg
The Devils Chessboard by David Talbot

(Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America's secret government)
dawgpostsucks
JudgeLarryDawg said:

The Devils Chessboard by David Talbot

(Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America's secret government)
Thanks for the recommendation. The book's synopsis sounds interesting. The CIA has a sullied history, but remains a critical part of the USA's intelligence apparatus. The CIA delivers daily morning briefings to the POTUS. No wonder they leave office gray and worn. There's a lot of bad actors out there that make dealing w/ them maddeningly difficult.
waverly
AirForceDawg said:

This year I've read:

'The Institute' by Stephen King (D+) - I've read 37 of his novels and this is in the bottom 10, imo. Last good book I read from him was '11/22/63'. Fwiw, I also really enjoyed 'The Stand' (both iterations), 'The Green Mile' series, 'Different Seasons' (basis for the movies 'The Shawshank Redemption' and 'Stand By Me'), etc. from decades ago.

'Das Boot' by Lothar-Gunther Buchheim (B) - Nazi U-Boat trying to survive in the Atlantic Ocean during WWII

'Gulag Archipelago: Volume II' by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (B) - life in Soviet forced labor camps under Lenin/Stalin/Khrushchev

'Gulag Archipelago: Volume III' by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (B+) - I enjoyed the attempted escapes from the camps

'One Midnight to Midnight: Kennedy, Khrushchev, & Castro on the Brink of Nuclear War' by Michael Dobbs (A-) - mutually-assured destruction avoided by Kennedy agreeing to removing nuclear missiles from Turkey in exchange for Khrushchev agreeing to to remove nukes from Cuba (that could have hit Washington, D.C., NYC, etc.); btw, it was interesting to learn that the Soviets had tactical nukes on Cuba to use against invading American forces and to destroy the U.S. Naval Base at Guantanamo

'Down With Big Brother' by Michael Dobbs (B) - rapid dissolution of the Soviet Union under Gorbachev

'A Game of Thrones' by George R.R. Martin (B+) - I like the novel a bit better than the HBO TV series

'A Clash of Kings' by George R.R. Martin (B+) - TV producers started deviating from the novel here (e.g., Theon Greyjoy and his sister's stories)

Fwiw, I'm currently reading book #3 (i.e., 'A Storm of Swords') of 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series - am wondering when GRRM is going to finish book #6? He's been working on it since 2011, is 72 years old, and just signed a $50M contract w/ HBO to produce some Game of Thrones prequels.
Fearless is incredible if you like SEAL team stuff. Very moving.
PaulWesterdawg
For non fiction Michael Lewis Flash Boys was pretty good.
dawgpostsucks
waverly said:

AirForceDawg said:

This year I've read:

Thanks for the recommendation. I do like SEAL team stuff and have read 'Lone Survivor', 'No Easy Day', etc. Those guys are definitely "tip of the spear".
LowIq
im right in the middle of "see spot run"......started it in january and should finish by may....not bad since it says on the cover 5-7 years.

the plot has lost me a couple times but spot seems like a good dog.
StalkinDawg
I've read recently:

The Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun by Wess Roberts

A Very Private Gentleman by Martin Booth

Night Comes to the Cumberlands by Harry Caudill

Just started The Tiger by John Vailiant
I'm too ugly or something
waverly
AirForceDawg said:

waverly said:

AirForceDawg said:

This year I've read:

Thanks for the recommendation. I do like SEAL team stuff and have read 'Lone Survivor', 'No Easy Day', etc. Those guys are definitely "tip of the spear".
Then you will LOVE ""Fearless".
dawgpostsucks
StalkinDawg said:

I've read recently:

Night Comes to the Cumberlands by Harry Caudill

Just started The Tiger by John Vailiant
'Night Comes to the Cumberlands' reminds me of an American version of 'Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity' by Katherine Boo. I'll add it to my reading list.

'The Tiger' also sounds interesting, esp. since I recently finished reading 'Gulag Archipelago' and 'Down With Big Brother'. Many Soviet forced labor concentration camps operated in Siberia from 1917-'60. Exiles were also sent there to eke out a living in the wilderness. Must have been a difficult existence w/ the climate and predators.
BCC5723
A very easy read by one of UGA best ever " why cry" by Lavon Mercer. Details his life and going to UGA as well as pro career. He is a very positive dude and needed in these times
Wallace3037
I've read 40 mins of Hell

Chaney playing a legend

A payroll to keep

I'm currently ready I came from the shadow.
dawgpostsucks
BCC5723 said:

A very easy read by one of UGA best ever " why cry" by Lavon Mercer. Details his life and going to UGA as well as pro career. He is a very positive dude and needed in these times
Thanks for the recommendation. It's crazy that a former UGA basketball player served in the Israeli Defense Force.
dawgpostsucks
Wallace3037 said:

I've read 40 mins of Hell

Chaney playing a legend

A payroll to keep

I'm currently ready I came from the shadow.
Since I liked ESPN's 30 for 30 'Pony Excess', I'd be interested in reading the SMU story.

Nolan Richardson and John Thompson produced some great college basketball teams (both won an NCAA Championship). Fwiw, while I still like college basketball, I enjoyed it more during that era (w/ regional rivalries and stars like Patrick Ewing, Michael Jordan, and Len Bias playing for their teams for several years) than now.
Bulldawg1
"Win the Day" - Mark Batterson
CornDog
Storm of steel by Ernst Junger - the memoirs of a WWI German soldier. It's a graphic detail of trench warfare. I can't imagine going through half of what those people (all combatants) did.
dawgpostsucks
CornDog said:

Storm of steel by Ernst Junger - the memoirs of a WWI German soldier. It's a graphic detail of trench warfare. I can't imagine going through half of what those people (all combatants) did.
Sounds like 'All Quiet on the Western Front' by Erich Maria Remarque
DawgFactor21
Books for work/business make up 90% of what I read these days or listen to on Audible. Wondering if I retain info as well when listening vs reading.
Zoesdawg69
Nope
sandersvilledawg
I don't read a lot of books, but I read "The Greatest Player That Never Lived" several years ago and really enjoyed it.
Dirteater Dawg
Dawgpost is my reading. Does that count?
Dean Legge
Staff
Dirteater Dawg said:

Dawgpost is my reading. Does that count?
Yes
JudgeLarryDawg
Has Coach DeBray's "Most Fearsome Gators I've Wrestled" been published yet?
Dirteater Dawg
JudgeLarryDawg said:

Has Coach DeBray's "Most Fearsome Gators I've Wrestled" been published yet?
Only talked and dreamed about so far.
ahurst344
Just finished "The Boys in the Boat." The story of the 1936 Olympic gold medal winning rowing crew from the University of Washington. Really fascinating story and great read.
DawgInTheSandhills
Cant Hurt Me - David Goggins
21 B2B 22
HBTFD
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.