Time to take a deep breath guys

2,391 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LuvsDawgs
yearofthedawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's a sad world we live in when I'm trying to be the reason, but I feel like some of us are orbiting the rings of Saturn and feel compelled to point out a few things.

1. Y'all do realize this virus has killed over 600,000 people in over 200 countries OUTSIDE the United States, right? This actually IS a thing, no matter how much we wish it wasn't. At the current pace we'll hit a million deaths globally within a month.

2. So far, it has been true that around 99% of the people that get it recover. Know how to make that % significant? Ring up a couple hundred million cases, which may well be where we are headed if we are careless. And that doesn't count any long term health problems associated with this.

3. While it's true that the risk to healthy college athletes is small, we don't live in 330 million independent universes. I'm not part of the Old Lives Don't Matter lobby.

VERY IMPORTANT: I'm not arguing we shouldn't be giving the season a go, and I get all the "lets play ball" arguments and agree with them. What troubles me is that I've never seen such adamant disrespect for an opponent. We're playing Bama here, and some of us are talking like we are facing Louisiana-Monroe.
ugakirk
I hear ya. We've been taking everything pretty serious like Dean mentioned, it sucks that Grandma can't really be around us since she's getting close to 90.

It surprises me that people, like my neighbor still say it's a hoax.. but whatever.. But at the same time, almost 3 million die in the US alone every year. So while I do think it is a little overblown by some and the media, just take the necessary steps to protect yourself and others.
dawgpostsucks
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine COVID-19 Dashboard

COVID-19 Global Case Summary:
22,949,234 positive cases
799,245 deaths (3.5% death rate)

COVID-19 USA Case Summary:
5,622,540 positive cases
175,363 deaths (3.1% death rate)

COVID-19 Mexico Case Summary:
549,734 positive cases
59,610 deaths (10.8% death rate)

note: human coronaviruses were first discovered in the 1960s; there are seven known strains, 4 of which may cause mild symptoms (e.g., seasonal flu) and 3 (i.e., MERS, SARS-CoV, SARS-CoV-2 [aka COVID-19]) of which may cause severe symptoms

note: the USA has 2,490,109 open COVID-19 cases (some of those won't survive)

note: besides killing some hosts, COVID-19 occasionally results in morbidity (e.g., brain/heart/kidney/lung clotting, myocarditis, Kawasaki-like illness with coronary artery aneurysms, pediatric multisystem inflammatory syndrome) to those that are infected

note: the USA COVID-19 case count includes both asymptomatic and symptomatic cases; in contrast, China does not count their asymptomatic cases
JudgeLarryDawg
Come on, man. We can get COVID-19 lectures in places that don't require a subscription.
cantonk9

If they can do this, we can play football...

Did you go to a happy hour with Kevin Warren last night? Geeze...
yearofthedawg
cantonk9 said:

If they can do this, we can play football...

Did you go to a happy hour with Kevin Warren last night? Geeze...

I did. I ordered a carafe of common sense, but they said there's been a nationwide shortage of it since January. (Including for the folks in the photo, by the way.)
cantonk9
Holy moly yotd, I had no idea!

Congratulations on getting your common sense police badge. That said, have you seen what they're doing to the budgets for the common sense police these days?

yearofthedawg
cantonk9 said:

Holy moly yotd, I had no idea!

Congratulations on getting your common sense police badge. That said, have you seen what they're doing to the budgets for the common sense police these days?

Nice.

And for the record, I stated up front that I'm Pro-Season.
cantonk9
I couldn't see that part of the post from the outer ring of Saturn. My eyes are getting bad...

You open up hurling out an insult to those who want football.

Then lay out what appears to be an argument for why we shouldn't play football.

And then close with saying you think we should give it a try?

These outer rings are pretty sweet, though. Get Elon Musk to send you over a rocket to get up here ASAP!

I'll have a drink waiting for you when you arrive yotd. Your choice!
Bulldawg1
ha, I thought your Bama paragraph was clever!

Look, I get it's a thing, it's real. However, something is always going to kill humans. We will all die. The question is, will we live? I have family that haven't been able to work since February, bc the entire industry they are in has shut down. Suicide, alcoholism, drug use, depression - are all way up on that industry. People are dying deaths they wouldn't have died from if Covid didn't shut them down. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. We as people must find a way to move forward with living, and not be solely focused on avoiding dying - otherwise, what are we trying to stay alive for? To live in a basement and become a Netflix expert while surviving on Ramen noodles? Humans need hope. Too many are having it destroyed currently.
yearofthedawg
cantonk9 said:

I couldn't see that part of the post from the outer ring of Saturn. My eyes are getting bad...

Do you wear glasses? I cant keep mine from fogging up when I wear a mask. Can't even imagine the problem you're having with the space suit.

And also for the record, I wasn't thinking about you when I wrote the initial. But while you are in the neighborhood, make sure you look at Uranus.
cantonk9
Hahahaha...

I'm not going to be stopping by Uranus fwiw. There's a large Gator fan colony there and the stench is awful.
hmwood
This is not an opponent you beat. Not many people disrespect this virus just some think the virus isn't going, away like forever. The risk will not be much lower in 2025 than it is now in many people's minds and with that being said many people refuse to let a virus that will probably be around until the end of time change how they live and enjoy their lives. There is a difference between disrespecting something and coming to terms with the reality that this opponent you are facing will never totally defeated. People view this virus differently and one view point isn't right and the other isn't wrong.
Graciedawg
Heard this a couple of days ago on the radio. Can't recall who said it but it might be the right answer. He said "the only way to get through this is to go through it".
LuvsDawgs
Y'all, we all need to save our breaths. Too many passionate opinions, on both sides. Neither side believes what the other side believes. It's important to stop trying to educate the others because they'll just throw useless facts and charts and percentages out there, when in reality those are all based on proven flawed data....totally wrong, but appears sound.
So, if you don't want to lose friends on here, or out in the real world, just be quiet and move on. Hard, but true.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.