Harvard epidemiologist Michael Mina re: fans attending football games this fall

3,703 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ssidedawg
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"I would not recommend fans be in stadiums. That would be a disaster."
RaleighDawg
Seems obvious. It is going to be hard enough to get through the season just worrying about the athletes and support staff required to put on the game. adding 20k extra people seems to just be asking for trouble.

I will go if allowed, but i am amazed they are willing to add this complication.
PaulWesterdawg
It's the entrance and exit.
It's the concessions line
It's the bathroom line
It's the concession prep area
It's the unwillingness for people to sit in 600 level

It's the nature of Sanford Stadium's very narrow 100-level concourses

All of it is a challenge.

This is hard.

CummingDawg22
Shouldn't it be okay if everyone is wearing a mask? I kept reading it was fine when massive numbers of people gathered and the vast majority were supposedly wearing masks and I assume properly.

I kid, I kid. That was really stupid logic then and its stupid now.
ColonialDawg
We are close to herd immunity. This pandemic is almost over. This guy from Harvard is just feeding the lockdown hysteria.

yearofthedawg
We are close to herd immunity? How many cases are out there? Last I read was that a virus as contagious as this one would require about 70% of the population to have it before Herd immunity applies. That would be over 200 million cases for the US. See below

"
What does it take to achieve herd immunity?

That varies by disease. For this particular coronavirus, doctors estimate that about 60% to 70% of the human population would need to have antibodies in order to have herd immunity as a species."
Firebrand
Bubble. Athletes & staff only.
ColonialDawg
yearofthedawg said:

We are close to herd immunity? How many cases are out there? Last I read was that a virus as contagious as this one would require about 70% of the population to have it before Herd immunity applies. That would be over 200 million cases for the US. See below

"

That varies by disease. For this particular coronavirus, doctors estimate that about 60% to 70% of the human population would need to have antibodies in order to have herd immunity as a species."
Nope. ~20% is the new figure.

This is a good article that explains why the models got it wrong.
https://judithcurry.com/2020/05/10/why-herd-immunity-to-covid-19-is-reached-much-earlier-than-thought/

ssidedawg
ColonialDawg said:

We are close to herd immunity. This pandemic is almost over. This guy from Harvard is just feeding the lockdown hysteria.

I will take the bona fide expert over self proclaimed expert....7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Ivor Cummins is your proof? Cmon man! Good grief.
ssidedawg
ColonialDawg said:

yearofthedawg said:

"

https://judithcurry.com/2020/05/10/why-herd-immunity-to-covid-19-is-reached-much-earlier-than-thought/

Nope!

60-70%. HIT changes based on the disease but 50-60% is the "go-to" minimum for almost all diseases. 20% is absurd. Just stop.......

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/what-is-covid-19-coronavirus-herd-immunity-when-will-we-achieve-herd-immunity.h00-159383523.html
ssidedawg
yearofthedawg said:

"

Yes, correct
ColonialDawg
ssidedawg said:

ColonialDawg said:

yearofthedawg said:

"

Nope!

60-70%. HIT changes based on the disease but 50-60% is the "go-to" minimum for almost all diseases. 20% is absurd. Just stop.......

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/what-is-covid-19-coronavirus-herd-immunity-when-will-we-achieve-herd-immunity.h00-159383523.html

This statement and the 60% threshhold is based on faulty modeling. Read the article I linked above or better yet read this paper:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.27.20081893v3.full.pdf+html

The HIT is closer to 20% but you can believe what you want to believe. This pandemic is almost over.
Dartslingindawg
My uncle caught Corona 3 days ago and is now fighting for his life on a breathing machine.

His wife, my Aunt Jennifer, is now also sick with it as of yesterday.

My cousin Clint, their eldest son is now fighting against it as well.

All of this in the last three days.

of course - all's well as we approach herd immunity...

what's sad is that this had to be politicized - so that all of the people on one side felt like it was mass hysteria and brazenly opposed its seriousness as it if were another bipartisan sticking point.

People are dying, still. I hope and pray that none of your close relatives join mine.
Dartslingindawg
and now, of course - nevermind an epidemiologist from Harvard University when you have this corporate guy on the other side of the fence throwing shade:

Ivor Cummins completed a Chemical Engineering degree at UCD in 1990. He has since spent over 25 years in corporate technical leadership and management positions and was shortlisted in 2015 as one of the top 6 of 500 applicants for "Irish Chartered Engineer of the Year".

Because this Irish Engineer knows more about Corona Virus than a Harvard Epidemiologist
ssidedawg
Dartslingindawg said:

and now, of course - nevermind an epidemiologist from Harvard University when you have this corporate guy on the other side of the fence throwing shade:

Ivor Cummins completed a Chemical Engineering degree at UCD in 1990. He has since spent over 25 years in corporate technical leadership and management positions and was shortlisted in 2015 as one of the top 6 of 500 applicants for "Irish Chartered Engineer of the Year".

Because this Irish Engineer knows more about Corona Virus than a Harvard Epidemiologist

Exactly! We are no where near herd immunity. We can only begin to breathe a breath of fresh air when there is vaccine. Until then we are no where near safe unless a LOT more people contract it. If that happens, the death toll also rises.

Also, very sorry about your Uncle.
ssidedawg
Just stop. Quoting some dude on Twitter who apparently has a dozen fields of "expertise" is lunacy.

Also, the non peer review Abstract "Individual variation in susceptibility or exposure to SARS-CoV-2 lowers the herd immunity threshold" paper doesnt state 20% for HIT. "Lower" than 60-70% isnt really a bold statement. 59% is lower.

yearofthedawg
Colonial I really hope you are right of course, but 20% is illogical to me. Too contagious for that to be true- measles is over 90% by comparison.

By the way, even at 20% there would need to be 65 million cases.
ColonialDawg
Dartslingindawg said:

Look, I'm sorry to hear about your family. But them being sick doesn't dispell the truth that we are on the downswing in this pandemic. If they were sick from influenza it wouldn't mean we should all panic over flu. But the fact is, you don't need to be an epidemiologist from Harvard to look at the data. There are a lot of smart people out there who are doing just that. They might not have a degree in epidemiology or cone fromHarvard, but being from Harvard and being an epidemiologist doesn't mean crap. A lot of so-called experts from Harvard have gotten this very wrong and are pushing panic over positive PCR tests, which should not be done on healthy people. You guys believe what you want to believe. We are obviously going to disagree.
ssidedawg
ColonialDawg said:

Dartslingindawg said:

Look, I'm sorry to hear about your family. But them being sick doesn't dispell the truth that we are on the downswing in this pandemic. If they were sick from influenza it wouldn't mean we should all panic over flu. But the fact is, you don't need to be an epidemiologist from Harvard to look at the data. There are a lot of smart people out there who are doing just that. They might not have a degree in epidemiology or cone fromHarvard, but being from Harvard and being an epidemiologist doesn't mean crap. A lot of so-called experts from Harvard have gotten this very wrong and are pushing panic over positive PCR tests, which should not be done on healthy people. You guys believe what you want to believe. We are obviously going to disagree.

The estimate for deaths from the flu was 24,000-64,000 in 2019-20 in the US. 176,000 people have died from COVID in the US since March 1. Maybe its declining, but its still hundreds dead a day. Hundreds. 1200 died August 21. Compared to the rest of the 1st World...its deplorable. South Korea+Germany+Italy+England had 25 total deaths...25 same day.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-3-day-average

Still comparing influenza and Covid is moronic....moronic. This isnt about agreeing. We arent debating starting QB's for 2020. Its just facts from experts. Whereas you are delusional. Heck, if we were debating QB's, this would be like you wanting Clay Webb at QB!
StalkinDawg
I don't know whose right in this debate but +1 for The Big Lebowski reference. I feel like Donny over this covid crap. I don't know what to believe anymore. So I mask up and hope/pray for the best.
I'm too ugly or something
ssidedawg
StalkinDawg said:

I don't know whose right in this debate but +1 for The Big Lebowski reference. I feel like Donny over this covid crap. I don't know what to believe anymore. So I mask up and hope/pray for the best.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.