Midseason thoughts

4,913 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Monkdawg
StevieBuckets
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just a fan...I likely don't know what I'm talking about. That said, some thoughts:

I'm ready to see more of Tye Fagan. 80% of Turtle's minutes need to go elsewhere at this point. That hurts to say, because Turtle has been a model citizen and student athlete, and it's not meant to disparage him at all. He just doesn't seem to have it. Crean can't admit he's thinking about next year, but he has to do so (and already has with one other senior)...

I like that Jordan is getting more minutes. He still turns it over too much, but he's a guy who could have a breakout senior season if he keeps improving and if a legitimate point guard shows up on campus. He might be the best catch and shoot guy on the team.

Tyree needs help. He's shooting 39% from 3-point range, but I bet that's over 50% if you throw out the terrible ones (where he pulls up 5 feet behind the line with a defender in his space). There doesn't seem to be much intent with him on offense. Maybe run a set designed to get him open? And maybe get him to the basket more? Late last night Kentucky ran a little off-ball screen for Herro three possessions in a row, and at least two resulted in great looks. I think we have to be intentional with Tyree, because the kid can knock down his good looks.

Unless he's completely uncovered, Hightower needs to stop taking so many 3's. He's taking almost 4 per game, and that needs to be cut in half, at least. Maybe that part of his game will develop, but that development needs to happen between March and October. He's improving his slashing. He's the closest we have to a PG, so driving and distributing should be his focus. His assist/turnover ratio is 1/1. Not good enough.

Hammonds is the key to all of this. When he's aggressive, scoring, and not fouling, we can be a handful. It's mystifying how he can disappear for such long stretches.

Nic, don't change a thing. Keep working.

I remain convinced Crean will get this thing going. But it's going to take time. Hang in there.
Champ
This team basketball IQ is low
Monkdawg
Team basketball IQ is indeed very low. Our shot selection is terrible. Just because you're open to take a 3 doesn't mean you should shoot that 3. Only good shooters need to be taking those shots. There's a reason why a player is wide open for 3. Most likely, the defense has determined they can leave that guy open because he's not a good shooter. A player just has to know whether they can take and make that shot or not. Most of ours can't. Fake the shot and drive or pass it inside or move it around the perimeter to someone who can make it.
Dawg44
Agree Monk. Crump is the only player we have that the other teams try to guard. Fox left us in a big mess.
Monkdawg
Indeed, sir, indeed....
StevieBuckets
The good news is we've already played our three toughest conference games. I harbor no illusions that this team going to "make a run," but 6 or 7 more wins is not out of the question. Finishing anywhere close to .500 in conference would be a pleasant surprise.
Drillerman
I like all the previous posts especially the one about Tye Fagans!! His team in HS won 63 games in a row and 2 State Championships if I am not mistaken!! Sit Turtle and play for the future!! I agree we need to set screens for Tyree to be able to shoot the 3 because he CAN SHOOT the ball!! We just need a couple more 4 or 5 stars to get this thing going!! Go Dawgs!!
RedDawg
Why we start both Turtle and Hightower is beyond me. Its almost like Crean thinks that two below average point guards add up to one good one.

Both Jordan and Crump can shoot the 3. Jordan leads the team in 3-pt pct (41%), and Crump leads the team in both 3-pointers made per 40 minutes (4.3) and 3-pointers made per 100 possessions (5.8). Set some screens and tell both of those guys to keep throwing them up.

And I hate to say it because i love the guy, but Ogbeide has to sit. He's killing us. His production has nosedived for two years straight now. His scoring is up slightly, but everything else is down - rebounds, blocks, steals, FG%, etc, while his turnovers and fouls are up. Disappointing because I was really hoping he'd have a breakout Sr season.

I think we should go with Clax, Hammonds, Crump & Harris to start, and alternate Turtle and Hightower at the point. Spell Clax & Hammonds with Ogbeide & Ngumezi, and spell Crump & Harris with Fagan & Wilridge. Keep up the tempo like Crean wants to do, and work in the other guys (Jojo, Ignas, Christian, etc) to mop up or if someone gets gassed. We got the numbers to run.

I know it's his 1st year, and there are plenty of growing pains, but right now our total is less than the sum of our parts.

Monkdawg
Yes, we have played by far the toughest stretch on our schedule. The SEC did Crean no favors. We are 1-4 in conference, which really, trying to be open minded, is about the best we could expect. UF was maybe a winnable game, but the others weren't. UT, UK and Auburn? No way we are ready to win these games. We will probably play a bit better the rest of the way, but we just don't have the roster yet to compete.
Monkdawg
I love Tyree, don't get me wrong, but if he's not making his shots, he is a liability on the floor. Tyree thinks he's open if he crosses half court and no one is within 10 feet of him. Well, there's a reason he's open. That's not a good shot. He's not getting shots out of the offense. He's just moving further and further away from the basket. Just not taking good shots.... And he drives himself into trouble (Harris does this, as well) with nowhere to go with the ball. Just not smart basketball.
Monkdawg
In the game last Saturday, we made our comeback at the beginning of the 2nd half when both Turtle and Wilridge were in the game. We played really well for a 10:30 minute stretch. Their maturity had a lot to do with it. Turtle hit 2 3s; Wilridge had 8 pts and 8 rebs - those are good numbers from them. Then we fell apart. I get on those 2 seniors more than anyone else on the floor, but they played well in the 2nd half Saturday.

One huge problem is the lack of production from Hammonds. Crean has no idea from game to game what he's going to get from Hammonds. Lazy, dumb fouls took him right out of the game. It was like he said, "I need today off, so I'll get in quick foul trouble." That doesn't cut it.

Our shooting is bad; our decision making is bad; our ballhandling is bad; our defense is bad.... We have a long way to go, and it's going to take time.
edog
Sounds like a condemnation of Fox. Recruiting, coaching or both?
Dawg44
Both. Fox was a joke.
StevieBuckets
Fox had huge issues, obviously - you don't get fired when things are going well. And the lack of a true point guard on the roster is criminal.

However, coaches also recruit to their style of play, and Coach Fox didn't want to play in transition and he didn't want to shoot the 3 (both things Crean is desperate to do). I've said it multiple times on this forum...count how many of our current players Crean would have actively recruited.

I love Derek; he's been a great Dawg. But he's not a scheme fit.

Wilridge does some nice things (seriously, I think he's our best passer). But he's not a scheme fit.

Edwards? Clearly not. He can't get off the bench. Hightower? Can't shoot. And on and on and on...

Fox wanted to muddy up the game and win in the 60's.

It's tough as fans, but we have to ignore how ugly things have been so far. Fox would probably have a similar record, and his team wouldn't have been blown out in the same manner. But things would still be bad.

Winning games is fine. I like that. But the next big wins are going to come in recruiting. They have to.
Monkdawg
Great point about who on this roster would Crean have recruited. Not many. We just have to be patient with him and his staff. Brighter days are ahead.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.