Article in the Athletic on Ashton Hagans

2,345 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Monkdawg
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alleges UGA fans are wondering what might have been if Hagans had come to UGA and Fox was still the coach.

You just can't let the possibility of getting 1 player make you keep a coach that has worn out his welcome, I don't care if that player is Lebron James. So, I disagree with this writer. I'm not thinking about "what might have been" at all. A defensive oriented PG would not have been worth keeping Fox around. The more exciting style of play and the crowds in the Steg prove that.

SidViciousDawg
I'm not quite sold on the ever mentioned more exiting style of play. Personally I found any of the Yante, JJ, Kenny, Charles, Marcus, Nemi teams of 2012-2018 more enjoyable than what I've seen thus far. What makes a game exciting is being competitive throughout with a chance to win at the end.

We've scored 50 and 49 in two of our 3 conference games in this "wide open offensive oriented style." Of course that is against 2 of the best teams in the league but there is nothing to excite me thus far. Maybe later this year or maybe in year 2, 3 or 4? We shall see.
StevieBuckets
If it's still like this in year 3, then yeah, I'll worry, but a few things are worth mentioning.

First, the set plays and cuts that got us 5 dunks at the beginning of last night's game weren't there with Fox. That is exciting basketball. The lack of alternatives after UK shut those plays down was not exciting, and the fact that we have takers, not makers, limits those options even more.

Second, Mark Fox recruited players to his style of basketball which stands in direct contrast to Crean's style. Geoff Collins may turn out to be the next Nick Saban, but Georgia Tech football will be unwatchable this year. Why? Because he's inheriting a roster full of kids recruited to do something completely different than what he wants them to do. Scoring ability was almost never Fox's top priority. Ask yourself how many of these guys would be on the team if Crean had been here 4 years ago. Crump? Maybe. Hammonds? Maybe. Harris? Maybe. Claxton? For sure.

It's worth waiting to see what kind of wins Crean gets on the recruiting trail and how those guys fit in when they get to campus.

Coaches don't get fired when things are going swimmingly, so an instant payoff is an unreasonable expectation (as it was for Barnes, Pearl, etc, etc). In this case, patience is a virtue.
Dawg44
Hagans father said once Kentucky offered, it was a done deal. It would not have mattered who the Georgia coach was at that time. His dream was to play for Kentucky. He only committed to Georgia because he wanted to play close to home if he could not play at Kentucky.
Monkdawg
Recruiting is the key. Pearl struggled at Auburn early, as Barnes did at UTjr. They are rolling now that they have their system installed and have signed players who are right for their systems.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.