June 6, 1944

761 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by UgaBoz53
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a debt we owe to those who risked everything to defeat the Nazis in Western Europe beginning with the Normandy invasion 80 years ago today.... Yes, Germany was taking it on the chin in North Africa and on the Eastern Front against the USSR. But once we (all the Allies) invaded Normandy, the war in Europe was over in less than a year. I would be remiss in not also noting the 82nd anniversary two days ago of the Battle of Midway. What an amazing victory for the US in the Pacific! If you don't know much about it, you need to read up on it. It is my favorite battle of the entire war that turned on a 5 minute period of time and changed the war in the Pacific. Just an incredible story.... Tom Brokaw called them "the greatest generation". Very, very few remain with us, but we should learn from their sacrifice. Never forget....
Dawg44
Very brave men. My father was in that war. He delivered mail in very dangerous areas. They drove on roads with mines. It's a miracle that I am here. God bless those men. They were never suckers or losers and they never will be. He delivered mail to General Pattons headquarters.
Monkdawg
Dawg44 said:

Very brave men. My father was in that war. He delivered mail in very dangerous areas. They drove on roads with mines. It's a miracle that I am here. God bless those men. They were never suckers or losers and they never will be. He delivered mail to General Pattons headquarters.
A salute to all those heroes....
Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon
Crazy, I was there Monday this week! 80th anny. I guessed at over 100,000 visitors on Monday. Crazy scene! Full on regalia. Army jeeps and vehicles in force. People of all countries representing!
I still say if today we were recruited we would battle just like those boys did! I know a different generation but they had no choice either! If today we had no choice I think we ball out like they did. 50 years from now they'd call us the next greatest generation. Our genes a there!!
Unreal,humbling experience!
UgaBoz53
great post
ATLSTNMTN53DAWG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.