Projected line-up crystal ball

2,967 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fladawg59
Nostradawgus
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Georgiadogs.com has updated the men's hoop data, and it is reporting McMillan is with us.

So, now that everyone is present and accounted for, and for lack of anything better to do, let's pretend there will be a college hoops season, and see how the Hoops Dawgs might look when we roll it out there. Clearly this is all academic/thrown out depending on what match-ups Crean may want.

Just for fun and discussion:

PG: Wheeler. Duh. Figure Starks is a back-up. Fagan? Or is that experiment over? KD Johnson? Or is he a 2G?

2G: Kier. I think Johnson may get a look here. Maybe Walton or Fagan?

WingG/SmallF: Garcia. Walton. Fagan?

Scoring Forward: Camara. Duh. Brown/Ned/Taylor fighting it out?

Banging Forward/post: Gotta figure Horne. Then McMillan?

On paper this is not a horrible team. I guess the question is can Crean get the to gel offensively - and play defense.

The Magic 8-ball says "outlook not so good."

neKKiDawg
Thanks for the "heads up" about georgiadogs.com updating the roster. Seems like all prior rosters had positions listed....does anyone else recall for sure? Guess it truly is positionless basketball now according to the official roster.

Hopefully, Johnson is talented enough to back up both guard positions as a freshman and be a good distributor and scorer.

Injuries & foul trouble notwithstanding, I think it is safe to say that Wheeler, Camara and the three grad-transfers will get the most PT. After that, it is very unpredictable, although I hope Christian Brown has stepped his game up a couple of notches.
Nostradawgus
C'mon group. I know there are a lot of posters on this board with way better insight and knowledge than I.

SidViciousDawg
I'm afraid it's difficult to come up with a response when I (much less anyone else) couldn't pick most of the players on this team out of a lineup.

I hate the 1 and dones... whether Antman types or GTs. JUCO's aren't much more appealing. Maybe have 1 but don't build a team with them like Crean's struggling to do. Maybe this crew can be competitive and go 7-11 for TC's best year or we could go 4-14 and start the search a year earlier than expected.
mikul1g
If outlook is about the same as his others, how many more does he get? I say 5 total to make it into week two of the dance.
SidViciousDawg
I'd say 5-13 or worse, Crean might go after this year. He'd be 12-42 (or worse) at this point!! He took over a program that had one losing record it's last 6 seasons and that 7-11 got the coach canned. TC may squeeze out just enough W's this season to get a fourth year but that'll be it.

Very long odds Crean is here for year 5.
Dawg44
Any school dumb enough to give Mark Fox nine years should give any other coach at least ten years.
SidViciousDawg
This is about Crean and his 2-16 & 5-13 records and his failure to put a competitive team on the floor. The lack of defense is alarming. His lack of recruiting to need is baffling.

12-6, 11-7, 10-8, 9-9, 7-11 showed a downward trend and it was time for a change as fan support had dwindled. But I'd put Fox and Kennedy in the same boat as good coaches who performed above average at their respective schools.

Now let's get to the present; 2-16, 5-13 and an undisciplined garbage product on the floor from a coach who cannot assemble/keep a Staff together and has done terrible in just about every aspect of his job. We'll be picked somewhere between 12th and 14th in the league this year. You want to disparage Fox and give Crean an extension through year 10??
Dawg44
If Fox gets nine, any other coach deserves ten.
SidViciousDawg
Well that is not exactly a compelling point you make there dawg...

Fox had 3 losing conference records In his nine years here. Crean is 7-29 and this will be his 3rd straight losing record in league play. Odds are Crean leaves here with zero .500 or winning records.

We'll lose the 3 GT's after this season and Crean will be desperately searching for players again in year four. His record will be somewhere around 16-56 and he will be fired.

It was time for a change but it is obvious we seriously downgraded with Crean & Staff vs Fox & Staff.
Dawg44
Mark Fox is the worst coach we've had in my lifetime. What a joke he was.
Monkdawg
IMHO I think it's really hard to predict what this team will do and who will be the main contributors beyond Wheeler and Camara. I assume Kier will be the 2G, but I've never seen him play. I assume the kid from Va Tech will start in the post, but at 6'6", I'm not sure how effective he will be. Garcia will probably be the other wing just because of experience, but is he more talented than Walton, Brown or Johnson? Who knows? I don't like to make predictions without at least having seen some of these kids play. McMillan? Taylor? It's impossible to make any accurate guess as to how they will do. We have to find some perimeter scoring, and we have to play better defense to be competitive. Our new assistant should help us there. I am concerned about the difficulty Crean is having recruiting in state. The only assistant we have that has in-state recruiting connections hasn't impressed me a lot so far really. Our best recent recruiter is now on the bench at Kennesaw. I don't agree that it is time to call for Crean's head. He looks to have a good chance to sign a great class the next 2 years. But we have to be fundamentally better on defense - that's the big negative to Crean so far. I don't see how we don't improve on defense by importing some experienced players. Our offensive production may be lower, but our defense should be better.
SidViciousDawg
7-29 is historically bad, even by UGA standards.
Seems there is something personal between you and Fox.

5 straight years without a losing conference record. A 3 year run where we won more games in conference than anyone other than Kentucky. The first coach in UGA history to have a graduating class without a losing record in league. Played on Saturday (semis) of SEC Tourney 3 straight years, more than the previous 20 years combined before Fox arrived.

No matter who was coaching, those UGA Teams with Marcus and Nemi, Kenny and Charles to Yante and JJ are among my favorites of all time. So enjoyable to see those 2 & 3 star recruits developed into all-conference type players in their 4 years at UGA. Those teams played some damn good basketball, especially contrasted against the product we saw before with Felton and since with Crean.
Dawg44
Nothing personal. He was just a phony coach. He fooled people with gimmicks every year. The SEC was a terrible league during most of his years. Players were not fooled. That's why no great players wanted to play for him.
fladawg59
here is my guess

1. wheeler
2. kier
3. camara
4. horne
5. mcmillan

sixth man brown
this line up makes us a little bigger and i think camara is more of a finesse player than a big man
fladawg59
We have a start date!
When does practice begin?
SidViciousDawg
Officially Oct 14th but they already get up to 8 hours per week for "skill and weight training" combined. Skill (coached) cannot be more than 4 hours per week. Players can still be gym rats or spend all the time they like in the weight room but coaches cannot be present more than the mandate allows.

So basically the coaches have seen these guys plenty already and have a pretty good idea who they're expecting to contribute.

I see that on Sept 21 the 8hrs/week will increase to 12hrs/week with 8 hours max on court.
SidViciousDawg
You're lineup could be spot on but we need to get major help somewhere other than those six. We were awful with the potential #1 draft pick at the 2. Can't imagine we're better with Justin Kier taking over for Edwards. Not to mention We had Hammonds on the team. I know, not the most popular player but he's more talented than any big on this squad.

One or two from this list, and the six you mentioned, need to step-up in a big way for us to be competitive... Garcia, Walton, Taylor or KD Johnson. If Taylor and KD have frosh years like Wheeler and Camara did, we have a chance. Garcia could start but certainly should be in the top eight rotation.

I believe we're a 5-6 win team in league this year.
fladawg59
At least we could have some depth. If we have a decent rotation of 8 from the pool of 11-12 it would be nice.
That seems to work for auburn . We have never had this much 4 star talent. We are overdue for some guys to overachieve. How about 3 yante maten's?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.