Just got a new transfer

3,036 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Monkdawg
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Andrew Garcia from Stony Brook. He was their 3rd leading scorer and leading rebounder. He's 6'5" 227 or so and is pretty stocky and well built. Can hit the wing 3 but looks more like a guy who picks up trash buckets.
neKKiDawg
This looks to be a "smallish" squad that will have a difficult time defending teams with good posts.
dawglegright
Garcia and Kier appear to be great additions.

Camara, Peake, Taylor, and McMillan are going to have to handle the low post.

Here is a very early guess at the starting lineup:

Wheeler
Kier or Fagan
Garcia or Brown
Peake, Taylor, Ned, or McMillan
Camara

Depending on how the low post play progresses, this team may surprise some people.

Monkdawg
I watch a lot of UNC basketball. They had a couple of grad transfers last year that they were counting on to provide scoring punch, one from William & Mary and the other from Charleston Southern, I think. Those transfers never lived up to their billing. I think we all forget why these guys were recruited to lower levels to begin with. They didn't show enough to be recruited by bigger schools. Yeah, they put up decent numbers against mostly mediocre teams, but we can't expect them to light it up in the SEC.

As to your line-up for this coming season, it's really hard to predict until we see them play. I think some are sure things. Wheeler, Camara and probably Kier, would be my guess. The other 2 spots are up for grabs IMO. I don't think Fagan starts at the wing. He's a good back-up PG but hasn't shown enough consistent scoring to be a starting wing. Peake and maybe Ned have a good chance to start IMO or maybe Walton because he's been in the program and can stroke it. But it's really hard to guess who it will be.
Nostradawgus
Based on aggregate inter web reports, I was of the take away that McMillan was recruited as and best suited physically and skill wise to be our interior defender and rebounder. Our Rodman if you will. I seem to recall his rebounding stats stood out.

Wheeler and Camara to me are your only two for sure penciled in starters. It would warm my heart for Walton to come out of nowhere and take that swing guard spot.
Monkdawg
The more I think about it, the more I think Garcia starts, too. I don't see a grad transfer of his caliber coming to UGA if he doesn't have a pretty good idea he gets minutes. I know Gresham did, but Garcia's pedigree and numbers are better than Gresham's. That leaves the 1 inside spot. We may not have a set starter there. It could change game to game.
blackmountaindawg
I think Johnson and Kier will form a good 3 guard offensive trio with Wheeler at the guard spots. Whats up with McMillan not signing yet? Are we sure he is on board?
begger
They look to be going for a Houston Rocket type no bigs line up. Not sure how well that will work without a Harden and other high quality scorers to put up points.
Monkdawg
Yeah, you gotta have some serious outside shooters to go with Houston's system. I don't think we have them yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.