Texas A&M Is Crucial Saturday...

4,697 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SidViciousDawg
SidViciousDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have to bounce back and win Saturday to keep the players and just as if not more importantly the fans engaged. Lose and look like crap and it's gonna get even uglier quickly.

aTm has won three straight road games (Vandy, Mizzou, UT) so I don't expect it to be easy for us. Three of our next four are at home (A&M, Ala, SC) are all winnable. Win Saturday and I like our chances in the others. Lose Saturday and we're on the way to 4 or 5 wins at the most.

I was thinking this was feeling similar to Johnny Jones team with Ben Simmons that failed to dance. I'd forgotten they went 11-7 that year before a 71-38 loss in the SEC Tourney did them in.
Dawg-E-Dawg
I'm cautiously optimistic...just bc it's at home. Winnable of course but not if they play the way they've been playing lately. It will be real telling if they get down early; weather they battle back or shut it down. If they shut it down then you can kiss this season way down the toilet!

On a positive note they will at least have a good student section turn out bc of the free jerseys. Unless they shut it down also and take the jerseys and dip right after tip-off
JvilleDawg1
I think that ship has sailed. Crean's officially on the the hot seat.
RedDawg
JvilleDawg1 said:

I think that ship has sailed.
Unfortunately I think you're right. At this point, not much of what will happen the rest of this season is going to matter. I wouldn't go so far as to say Crean is on the hot seat just yet, but it is pretty clear he has no clue how to win here at UGA. Just like seven of our last nine coaches.

Maybe one day ...
Dawgman53
It looks like another sloppy and poorly coached performance today against A&M. It is painful to watch as this team has so much more potential than we have seen in the last 4 games!
SidViciousDawg
Looking at our schedule before the season started it was easy to see a 1-5 start in conference. After beating UT I thought we'd best that but then the loss to Ole Miss hurt followed by the collapse at Mizzou to get us to 1-6. With the win today we're back on track for the 6-12ish season I thought we'd see.
Drillerman
I thought 1st half was pretty dismal then we came out in the 2nd half and took control!! We hit the boards, kept them at bay when they made their runs even when Buzz called the two TO's!! Good strong finish !! Hope this gives us some momentum to win 3 or 4 in a row!! Hammonds has to produce 12-15 pts, 6-8 rebounds and 3 or LESS FOULS!! He plays well, we WIN!! Ant Man CANNOT do it by himself even though he is a Hellava BB player!! GO DAWGS!!
StevieBuckets
JvilleDawg1 said:

Crean's officially on the the hot seat.
This just isn't true. Here's why:
Quote:

If Georgia were to fire Crean without cause, he would get $16 million after one season and that figure decreases each year to $9.6 million, $7.2 million, $3.2 million and $1.6 million.
If you're already tired of Crean, I have bad news for you...he's here for at least two more years...
StevieBuckets
Good win over a bad team on Saturday (Buzz will have them competitive in no time). There is no realistic at-large chance for this team right now, so they just have to keep getting better, play their way out of a Wednesday SEC Tournament game, and try to get hot in Nashville...
Haney
Any win right now is a good one but man does it make the last two really sting. Can't play the WHAT IF game but what if we don't allow Ole Miss to shoot about 50% on the 25th and what if we don't BLOW a 20 point lead at Mizzou the next Tue night. Suddenly we are 4-4 in conference and we are feeling a LOT different about this season for sure.

That being said, we still need to steal 2-3 wins on the road, and then lot lose at home the rest of the way. Do that and it gives us a chance to be on the bubble. With road games at UF, A&M, Vandy, SC and LSU, I am not sure we can get 2 or 3 but not like we have to go to Rupp, Auburn or Miss State-yep, that team that everyone was pissed we lost to, look at them now, 14-7 and 5-3 in the SEC.
Dawg-E-Dawg
I only see us having a chance at Vandy.
Haney
I think Vandy and A&M are best bets, although we played UF tough last year-beat them at home, and not like they are some great team-same with SCarolina. To me only UK, LSU and AU are sure bets for the tourney. IF, and this is a big IF, Ant starts giving us double doubles every game, and Hammonds can give us decent numbers-not sure what has happened to him, and Crean continues to give Harris more and more minutes, along with Wheeler (we really missed him at Missouri), I think we can play with most anyone. I also like how Peake plays-hustles and rebounds which in a lot of games, rebounding has killed us.
RedDawg
Haney said:

Can't play the WHAT IF game but what if we don't allow Ole Miss to shoot about 50% on the 25th and what if we don't BLOW a 20 point lead at Mizzou
You kinda hit it on the head, you can't play those kinds of what if games. Those are exactly the kind of what if's that cause a coach to be a bad coach. I think we took Ole Miss for granted. There was absolutely no energy or hustle on the team, and that's why our defense was so pathetic that game. Defense is hustle. And you just can't take conference games for granted. And when MIzzou started on that run, we never called a timeout to try to stop their momentum. That's just coaching 101. Crean never called TO until the end after MIzzou took the lead (or maybe when they were tied or within a bucket or so, whatever it was).

But those are the types of things that cause a coach to be a bad coach.
Haney
VERY good points Red. I was at the Ole Miss game and I remember thinking, why are we struggling so bad with a team at the time without an SEC win. The crowd was flat that night but only because the team seemed flat. Also, at the half, the were 30 seconds left before Crean came back on the court, all players were huddled up and looking around like where is coach-I thought that was very odd unless he had a stomach bug?? But when UGA took the lead, the crowd was JACKED and going crazy and then we went totally flat, part of that was his subbing. I have noticed since that game, Edwards has played 40 minutes and 39 minutes, I find that interesting. But the Ole Miss loss, I walked out of the building that night thinking, that was PATHETIC and there goes our NCAA chances.

Then at Mizzou, we got on a roll and were in complete control and the WHAM, nothing on offense for a LONG time, and like you mentioned, no timeout when Missouri made their methodical run. I think my biggest complaints about the coach is more to do with subbing than anything but that was certainly a case where he didn't use a TO when he needed to.

I am really curious to see what happens tonight. Last time we had a big home win over UT, we went on the road and got totally destroyed at Miss State. UF has been struggling some recently, I thought we beat them at home last year but read today we actually beat them on the road. SO, let's see what happens tonight. Win tonight and then get a Bama team I think we can handle at home. Winning 3 straight for this team would be huge, and we get another home game after Bama against SCarolina and then a road game at A&M. In other words, win tonight and seriously gain momentum, maybe this team can surprise us. Lose tonight, and back to what is likely our reality-trying to make the freaking NIT.
StevieBuckets
I might buy back in if we can tag Florida tonight.

Honestly, though, I suspect we lose by 15-20. This team has done very little to show me they can win a road game like this. Hope I'm wrong!
dawg212003
A 22 pt lead and we are down by 8.
StevieBuckets
Exceeded my expectations. Only lost by 6!
StevieBuckets
StevieBuckets said:

JvilleDawg1 said:

Crean's officially on the the hot seat.
This just isn't true. Here's why:
Quote:

If Georgia were to fire Crean without cause, he would get $16 million after one season and that figure decreases each year to $9.6 million, $7.2 million, $3.2 million and $1.6 million.
If you're already tired of Crean, I have bad news for you...he's here for at least two more years...
I may have been wrong here. Might have a case to fire him for cause after tonight...
Dawgman53
Unbelievable! We blew another 20+ lead in the 2nd half! What' wrong here?? It's not lack of talent. There have been times during some games this year when we looked like a sweet 16 team (like the first half and early 2nd half of this game with FL and tge 2nd half vs. Michigan State).

Dawg-E-Dawg
It's time to start blaming everyone on staff...head and assistant coaches, strength coach, trainer...all are to blame! This is unreal how poorly coached this team is!
SidViciousDawg
We have back to back winnable home games with Bama and SC. If we can't beat this depleted Bama team Saturday we may not win another. This stretch of Bama, SC, @A&M, Aub, @Vandy is our best chance to salvage this season in the slightest.

This league is as weak as I've seen in years. Kentucky is a notch below their usual. Auburn and LSU are not as good as their records would have you believe. Florida and Miss St are okay at best. We'll likely be a 5 bid league only because there's such mediocrity across the entire NCAA. We have the talent to compete in this down year and we damn sure should have been better than 2-16 last year. To put it mildly, the coaching has not been good.

I see us going 4-5 the second half of league play to get to the 6-12 I predicted early on. If we finish 4-14, It'll be tough for Crean to recover. He'll get year 3 , where right now on paper we look awful and he'll get year 4, where he'll be coaching for his job.
RedDawg
Sid, I really wish I shared your optimism. But I just haven't seen much of anything from this team to tell me with any level of confidence they can win another game. I mean I hope they can, but any time they find something that works, the other team changes something (Fla went to the zone last night) and they look completely confused and hopeless. It's hard to describe how inexplicable that is. It's like they get transported into some weird dimension where they're in some trance-like state. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.

There is absolutely no reason UGA shouldn't field a competitive Basketball program, but here we are. Again.
SidViciousDawg
Whew, if I'm the optimistic poster by thinking we go 6-12, things are bad. I've posted several times that I'd put the o/u at 6 for # of conference wins but if pressed to bet I'd take the under. I still feel that way. This Saturday, like last Saturday, is a must win to keep the team and fans halfway interested the rest of the way. Thank goodness Vandy beat LSU last night so we won't be their first W but I won't be surprised if we're an underdog going into Nashville.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.