2 JC Commits Today?

2,656 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Haney
gritsK9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So says 247. Anybody know anything about them? Jonathan Ned and Mikal Starks
StevieBuckets
Can anyone make me feel better about this? Taking two JC commits, at this point in the cycle, following up a top 10 class, reeks of desperation...am I wrong?
Haney
I had been reading that Crean was making good progress for a top PG from Grayson, Deivon Smith, reading about the JUCO, along with Wheeler, makes me wonder if that means Smith is headed elsewhere. No offense but I would rather take the HS PG than a JUCO kid, especially since we will have Wheeler as a soph next year. Monk, you know anything??
gritsK9
Total whiff on 2020 high schoolers? (The one we did get is a reclassifier from 2021.) Positive spin is that Crean wants two more juniors next year rather than two more frosh because the team is so young. But these two don't seem to have a whole lot to recommend them, especially the PG.
Nostradawgus
From other posts around the interwebs, the JUCO PG is viewed very favorably and considered a defensive stalwart. The JUCO forward put up his freshman numbers as the fifth forward off the bench, behind four upper classmen.

I view this as roster and class separation management by Crean, and not "desperation" or total fallbacks for other recruiting misses in the 2020 class.

And we might as well reset the Crean clock if Hammonds joins Edwards and jumps early.

.And we still have a minimum of two scholarships to give. At a minimum need a SG to replace Edwards/Harris/Crump.
Monkdawg
Can't say I know much, Haney. I know we just offered these guys along with another of their teammates last month. The JUCO coach raves about the PG. His numbers don't jump out at you, but the coach says he's outstanding defensively and can score from all levels. On film, he seems predominantly right-handed to me, but is quick to the hoop and can get by people. Seems to move well defensively. The 6'9" wing seems long and has a decent stroke on his shot. I think we're just going to have to trust Crean that he knows the kinds of skills he wants in his system. I do think this means Smith is headed elsewhere - I heard maybe Miss St. On paper at least, this class isn't shaping up great so far. If it were me, knowing nothing really about these players, I would have waited until spring to see who emerged. Crean had good success last spring. Sure, I wanted another stellar class, but you can't do that every year it seems at UGA. I think Crean will be looking to really top off this class with a highly thought of SG to help replace Edwards. If there is some attrition (there are rumors), maybe we have another 2 schollies to give.
Haney
Thanks Monk, I might try to make it over tomorrow to see Stegmania, I am excited about this season and I guess I had hoped for more in recruiting after the last class, but then again, assuming none of the other FR besides Edwards is a one and done, maybe Crean is thinking next year will be a very good team but just needs a few veteran pieces to go with what will be a good nucleus of sophomores. Time will tell, but still happy with the direction we are heading. I am anxious to see how this team comes together.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.