Somto commits to the Dawgs! But

740 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by Monkdawg
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
he will also get an NBA evaluation. I don't think for a second that he would be drafted. He is very raw. Extremely athletically talented, but has a lot to work on.... Keep in mind he only averaged 8 ppg and 6 rpg. That is nowhere near NBA ready....
UGAdawg
This is great news! I spoke with Marcus Thorton after one of the home games late in the year and was voicing some frustration that we had not been able to land kids from Overtime Elite - and look what happens. This is really a positive step in recruiting. I know we got him in a round about kind of way with Calipari leaving Kentucky, but in this recruiting world you take whatever you can get anyway you can get it..Hats off to Mike White and the staff!
Monkdawg
UGAdawg said:

This is great news! I spoke with Marcus Thorton after one of the home games late in the year and was voicing some frustration that we had not been able to land kids from Overtime Elite - and look what happens. This is really a positive step in recruiting. I know we got him in a round about kind of way with Calipari leaving Kentucky, but in this recruiting world you take whatever you can get anyway you can get it..Hats off to Mike White and the staff!
Great get by White and staff! And we still have 5 spots to fill. Maybe 1 PG, 1 CG, 2 SFs and 1 post? Our front court will be probably the most athletic we have ever been. We really need a pure PG who loves to defend and pass and hit the occasional perimeter shot.
DenmarkDane
How does he have that high of ranking with that low of stats? Is it because of his obvious talent alone?
UGAdawg
Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

Great get by White and staff! And we still have 5 spots to fill. Maybe 1 PG, 1 CG, 2 SFs and 1 post? Our front court will be probably the most athletic we have ever been. We really need a pure PG who loves to defend and pass and hit the occasional perimeter shot.
Monk - With the addition of Cyril, I believe that leaves us with only 4 spots to fill? Cyril is the post in your breakdown. I agree with your breakdown otherwise. Those are definite needs to fill. Most impodant on the list in my opinion is a pure PG.
dawglegright
Roster looks much improved, with 4 spots left.
Monkdawg
UGAdawg said:

Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

Monk - With the addition of Cyril, I believe that leaves us with only 4 spots to fill? Cyril is the post in your breakdown. I agree with your breakdown otherwise. Those are definite needs to fill. Most impodant on the list in my opinion is a pure PG.
I certainly may have miscounted. Demary, Cain, James, Anselem, Somto, Newell, Montgomery, Abson, Leffew. So yeah, 4 spots. Not sure who I didn't count. 4 Gs, so need maybe 2 more and 2 wings/SFs. If Godfrey commits, he would make 4 PFs; really that would be too many, though I like Godfrey. We have to get a PG. That is a necessity. This Sion James kid from Tulane is intriguing - 6'6" PG who could easily be a SF. A guy like that would be ideal because he's versatile. And a native Georgian. Though he is listed as "Do Not Contact", which means he knows where he's going. Would be a helluva pick up IMO.
UGAdawg
Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

I certainly may have miscounted. Demary, Cain, James, Anselem, Somto, Newell, Montgomery, Abson, Leffew. So yeah, 4 spots. Not sure who I didn't count. 4 Gs, so need maybe 2 more and 2 wings/SFs. If Godfrey commits, he would make 4 PFs; really that would be too many, though I like Godfrey. We have to get a PG. That is a necessity. This Sion James kid from Tulane is intriguing - 6'6" PG who could easily be a SF. A guy like that would be ideal because he's versatile. And a native Georgian. Though he is listed as "Do Not Contact", which means he knows where he's going. Would be a helluva pick up IMO.
I was looking on the portal to see the PGs available and did take notice of James. He is indeed very intriquing at that size, and from Buford. It would be nice if he wanted to come home. We have had much trouble getting kids from Buford in FB until very recently. But, who knows were this kid wants to go. White and staff heve done well so far. They will really impress if they can hit a home run on a PG.
Monkdawg
UGAdawg said:

Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

I was looking on the portal to see the PGs available and did take notice of James. He is indeed very intriquing at that size, and from Buford. It would be nice if he wanted to come home. We have had much trouble getting kids from Buford in FB until very recently. But, who knows were this kid wants to go. White and staff heve done well so far. They will really impress if they can hit a home run on a PG.
Completely agree. James could play all 3 perimeter positions. If we get Godfrey as predicted, we definitely need a bit more on the perimeter. How athletic would that frontcourt be? Yikes! I watched a bit more of Cyril's video, and he's got a nice outlet pass, too. We ought to be able to defend in the post and get the ball out to run....
UGAdawg
Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

Completely agree. James could play all 3 perimeter positions. If we get Godfrey as predicted, we definitely need a bit more on the perimeter. How athletic would that frontcourt be? Yikes! I watched a bit more of Cyril's video, and he's got a nice outlet pass, too. We ought to be able to defend in the post and get the ball out to run....
Yes. We should be able to defend in the post like we have not done in a long time. I have not seen any video yet of Cyril, but he sounds exciting. I hope we do get Godfrey. I love seeing a GA kid coming home especially one that can help us the way he should be able to. And let's not forget about what Abson should bring. This front court should rebound and create more blocked shots, giving us many more opportunities to get out in the open floor.for easy baskets in transition. Is there any word about where James may go or what schools may be involved with him?
Monkdawg
UGAdawg said:

Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

Monkdawg said:

UGAdawg said:

Yes. We should be able to defend in the post like we have not done in a long time. I have not seen any video yet of Cyril, but he sounds exciting. I hope we do get Godfrey. I love seeing a GA kid coming home especially one that can help us the way he should be able to. And let's not forget about what Abson should bring. This front court should rebound and create more blocked shots, giving us many more opportunities to get out in the open floor.for easy baskets in transition. Is there any word about where James may go or what schools may be involved with him?
We've never had a more athletic post - more skilled? yes, but not more athletic. He has a 43 inch vertical. He can flat GET UP.... But he needs to work on his skills. Great upside. Godfrey will be an athletic 4, but he's not a perimeter threat. Great defender, probably great in the press, needs to work on his offense. I'm not honestly sure that Abson is not the odd man out. He's 6'9" and blocked shots at App. St. - not the same as the SEC. Not a big scorer at that level. He's got to show me something. We should be much better in the post than in recent years....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.