FWIW

2,441 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mmixon
Tyree02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The 2018-19 roster is now up and on the site. Of course there are no photos of the freshmen in their bios.
mmixon
Looking at our roster, we can't afford any injuries in the post. Anything happens to Jenna or Caliya we will be in serious trouble. Malury and Stephanie will be the back ups. Stephanie will have to learn to stay out of foul trouble and Malury just has to be stronger in the post. Might not be a bad idea to look for a Grad Transfer in the Post Position. 2019/2020 season we should have Javyn as one Post Player coming in after losing Caliya. Hopefully we will have another Wing type Post joining her in this class. It would be great if that person is Rickea Jackson and there is Maori Davenport as well.
Tyree02
Mike,
I agree with you that it will be scary, but that is where we were this past year honestly, but Blanaru was there for back-up if we needed another body. As for as rotation wise, that is who we would have had, and there is one theory that comes to mind as the reason the staff decided to roll with this and that is recruiting. The staff will have loads of playing time to sell to recruits and that is the same strategy they used for the 2017 class when they brought in all of those good guards, because the staff pushed the playing time to those girls. I see the same thing happening with the 2019 class and possibly bringing in one guard with forwards and possibly a true center. I see Georgia is now recruiting Jordan Isaac. We have 5 ships to use in this class and we have one verbal which now we have four spots available.
mmixon
It's great that we will have 5 ships for the 2019 class Tyree02. I like the fact that we have offered Jordan Isaacs, hopefully if we don't land Rickea Jackson we can get Jordan. I am hoping that Jordan can break our streak of not getting anyone from St Francis. They have had some kind of talent there for us not to get at least one kid from there. Also, we definitely need to think about recruiting a point guard just in case Taja decides not to come back for a fifth year.
gablue1
One of the interesting things to follow this year is how much improvement did the fresh/soph make from last year to this year. Hopefully Bates can give us some quality minutes in the post.
Tyree02
Mike,
Shemera Williams is a point and Caitlin Hose can play point as well if we need her to. I am so excited to see Hose. I just love her game, because she is a really good athlete. I was watching her state championship game over on YouTube. The young lady from the opposing team got a steal and Hose ran along side her and went up high, got the block, and the crowd went wild. Another thing, our kids have got to learn how to play the game at a slow tempo, as well as, the fast tempo. When teams slow us down, we struggle badly. I hope that is going to be a point of emphasis in the offseason. I agree, Bates development is going to be very important to this team, as well as, Stephanie Paul. I am giving Paul some leadway because she played a new position this year, but we need her to play smarter and play under control. She had some big games this year before she hurt her knee. When she came back, Paul did not look like herself at all.
mmixon
You are right about Shemera Tyree02 and Caitlin. I like Caitlin more of a 2 guard for her offense, but I realize she can play the point as well. And if the situation arise you can put Que at point also. I really think our half court offense will be a whole lot better simply because Teams will have to respect Jenna in the post. Look at Notre Dame, they lose all their point guards before the season, but their post play made opposing Teams have to double down on the Sheppard and they were still able to win a National Championship. One of the most amazing things I have ever seen. 2019, Jenna and Javyn will make us a threat all the time. Will open up the three point shot for our offense. But getting back to Shemera, that would be Joni and Staff biggest recruiting win yet. Even though none of the traditional top schools were after her, but the fact that we could go up in the Midwest and get the top scorer in the nation and bring her to Athens. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Tyree02
Also, Prospects Nation has a nice write up on Javyn. It basically stated that with her change in AAU teams, it has really helped her game flourish. It stated that she is playing with more energy and effort than she had played with in the past. Honestly, that is a fair assessment from what I had seen and to me this is why she made the huge jump in the Hoopgurlz rankings. I think the staff brings in two additional bigs to go with Javyn and a guard. Rickea has the skill set to play the guard position. I think of her as a taller version of Pachis, but with more explosiveness. Joni has some great options left on board with recruits and she has playing time to sell to these kids.
mmixon
I read the story on Javyn and you have to give our staff a big pat on the back for getting in on her early. All that is attributed to doing your own evaluations. Javyn looks strong, I can see she does weight training. We beat Tennessee a couple years ago, but in the past our best Teams have been strong in the paint. Since Jasmine Hassell we have been pushed around in the paint. With Jenna already in Athens, we will get even stronger with Javyn. I also like the comparison of Rickea Jackson to Pachis Roberts.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.