OT: Favorite Thanksgiving sides and desserts

2,959 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Spacetanker Dawg
ColonialDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's face it, in most homes the turkey isn't what everyone looks forward to. It might be the centerpiece in appearance, but when it comes to seconds and even thirds, most people are hitting the sides. So what sides are you going to be revisiting over and over on Thursday? Just a quick note about the turkey... I spatchcock and smoke mine so it's getting a lot more love.

Here are mine:
1) Sage and sausage stuffing. The edges are the best part IMHO so this year I'm maximizing those browned edges by cooking the stuffing in muffin pans. Douse it in smokey giblet gravy and then find you a hammock.
2) Sweet potato casserole with toasted pecan topping (no marshmallows for me). Is it a side or a dessert? Does it matter?
3) Green bean casserole. I make mine homemade with my own cream of mushroom soup and green beans cooked in a pot with chicken broth, onions, and bacon. Combine and top with homemade crispy onions.
4) Bacon bourbon pecan pie. What's there not to love about bacon and bourbon?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and Go Dawgs!
Andrew
Sweet potatoe souffle, turkey and I'm good to go.
SoCalTrojanDawg
I'm a born and raised Southern Californian, with the emphasis on "Southern"!

I have family back in Georgia and North Carolina, so Southern cooking runs deep in our own nest here in California. For sides,

1- Senator Russell Sweet Potatoes! Yum, yum, yum, YUMMY! This comes from a close friend of mine in the Buckhead area of Atlanta whose family comes from the Lincoln County, GA., area. Gave this recipe to me about 30 years ago and it's a mainstay in our Thanksgiving feasts. It is named after the former Georgia Senator, Richard Russell. My friend is the great-great-grandson (I don't think I put too many "greats" in there) of former UGA HB great, Bob McWhorter, for whom the athletic dorm, McWhorter Hall is named for. He was Georgia's first-ever All-American in 1913.

2 - Good old-fashioned turkey dressing and gravy.

3 - For dessert, it's bourbon pecan pie and pumpkin pie.
dawgpostsucks
Y'all are making me hungry now!

Please post or PM me your favorite recipes as I'd like to try some new dishes w/ a Southern twist.
RyanJordan
Cornbread dressing
Shelt320
My wife's cornbread dressing and sweet potato cobbler.
hpdog
Dressing,Broccoli Casserole,Cranberry Sauce, and Pimento Cheese spread with lots of onion (make it myself) , put on celery. A family tradition. Load up on gravy, and get after it. Pecan Pie for dessert. This meal sits in my stomach for hours, but it's worth it!!
PurpleBrave
Wife makes this cranberry sauce with pecans, real cranberries, and mandarin oranges. It's so good...only time of year I eat cranberries. Good on a sandwich too.

I almost feel sorry for non-southerners this time of year.
PurpleBrave
Anyone else make the ole leftover sandwich? Get two big pieces of bread and pile the leftovers on it.
88Fox
Squash casserole is the king of southern sides in my book. My mom's was the best ever.

My daughter makes killer mac-n-cheese with penne pasta, a quart of heavy cream and close to a pound of Parmesan cheese. People seriously rave about this mac-n cheese.

I make the main courses. I spatchcock my turkey then brine it for 24 hrs in water, salt, apple cider, brown sugar and molasses. I throw some peppercorns, allspice, bay leaf and the like in there. I sear it skin side down in a big iron skillet, flip it and then finish it in a 400 deg oven. I tend to use my grill for that. A 12 lb bird takes about 40 min when cooked that way.

I also make what I call "Holiday Ham". I get a spiral cut ham shank and paint it with yellow mustard. Then I coat it with brown sugar mixed with pumpkin pie spices (cardamom, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, cinnamon). Roast that baby in an oven or grill and it comes out better than a Honey Baked Ham (I sometimes baste it with a mixture of left over rub/glaze mixed with apple cider).
Y'all hear that? We're using code names. - Evelle Snopes
StalkinDawg
Chocolate Chess pie and Karo nut pie.
I'm too ugly or something
deadeyedawg
Collards!
ColonialDawg
RyanJordan said:

Cornbread dressing
Man, I love cornbread dressing. That's what I grew up eating. Too bad my wife, kids, and her family don't like it. So, we now eat stuffing. It's really good, but it isn't cornbread dressing.
StalkinDawg
You put hot pepper sauce on your collards?
I'm too ugly or something
ColonialDawg
AirForceDawg said:

Please post or PM me your favorite recipes as I'd like to try some new dishes w/ a Southern twist.
Bacon Bourbon Pecan Pie

1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

5-7 strips of thick-cut bacon, completely cooked, drained, and chopped into small pieces (reserve 1/4 cup of strained bacon grease)

1 cup chopped Georgia Pecans

For the custard:
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup cane syrup (you can use Karo syrup if you prefer a lighter flavor)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup reserved bacon grease
2 tablespoons melted butter
2-3 tablespoons of bourbon (I recommend a higher proof bourbon)
3 eggs beaten

1) Pour chopped pecans and bacon on bottom of the unbaked pie crust
2) Mix all the custard ingredients until smooth and pour over the pecans and bacon
3) Cover the pie lightly with foil
4) Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake another 20 minutes or so until custard is set (it should not be overly jiggly)
5) Let pie cool for several hours or overnight.

Here's a killer pie crust recipe.
https://leitesculinaria.com/10200/recipes-lard-and-butter-pie-crust.html

dawgpostsucks
ColonialDawg said:

AirForceDawg said:

Bacon Bourbon Pecan Pie

1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

5-7 strips of thick-cut bacon, completely cooked, drained, and chopped into small pieces (reserve 1/4 cup of strained bacon grease)

1 cup chopped Georgia Pecans

For the custard:
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup cane syrup (you can use Karo syrup if you prefer a lighter flavor)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup reserved bacon grease
2 tablespoons melted butter
2-3 tablespoons of bourbon (I recommend a higher proof bourbon)
3 eggs beaten

1) Pour chopped pecans and bacon on bottom of the unbaked pie crust
2) Mix all the custard ingredients until smooth and pour over the pecans and bacon
3) Cover the pie lightly with foil
4) Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake another 20 minutes or so until custard is set (it should not be overly jiggly)
5) Let pie cool for several hours or overnight.

Here's a killer pie crust recipe.
https://leitesculinaria.com/10200/recipes-lard-and-butter-pie-crust.html
Awesome!
12thmandawgfan
Turkey, dressing and Pecan Pie baby!!
ChappyDawg
Dressing

Sweet Potato and Pecan Pies
PurpleBrave
Think I just gained 5 pounds reading this
Spacetanker Dawg
Cornbread dressing and hot water cornbread. Oh dear God....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.