Top 5 Musical Acts & Why

11,364 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SoCalTrojanDawg
Ugapitcrew
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Led Zep number one.

In ever changing order- Aerosmith, Eagles, Stones, AC DC
StalkinDawg
LowIq said:

i have written all of your names down as people i dont like any more.

anyone who doesnt have patsy cline is either a kid or a damn city boy.
Your gonna make me fall to pieces.
I'm too ugly or something
DawgDMD
KISS, SLAYER, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Journey esp THE VOICE, Steve Perry, AC/DC, OZZY, Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica. In a metal head. UGA Redcoat Marching Band
And The World Barked As ONE!
opiedawg
Slim Whitman.. outsold Elvis & The Beatles.
Lktmtndawg
5. Steely Dan - Fantastic musicians and brilliant songwriters
4. Waylon Jennings - Watasha was the man.
3. Jeff Buckley - gone waaaaaay too soon. 5 octave range, amazing musician. Could be #1 really.
2. Allman Brothers - Duane. Greg. Dickie. Jaimoe. The brothers are incredible.
1a. Prince - possibly the greatest musician ever. He was crazy brilliant.
1b. Stevie Ray Vaughan - greatest guitarist ever.
88Fox
I think that the top 5 bands/musical artists is one of those unknowable things. I can rank what I think is the top 5 right now, but next week it could be different. If I start to think about it long enough, I wonder how to rank a band that is highly influential and musically gifted vs. a band that is fun to listen to but not that skilled.

Right now mine are:

1. Steely Dan - These guys made fantastic, sophisticated music for 4 decades. I can't think of any other band that has done that. They released 5 excellent albums during the disco era that really makes that genre seem foolish by comparison.

2-5:

The Allman Brothers Band
Pink Floyd
Ray Charles
Van Morrison
88Fox
Lktmtndawg said:

5. Steely Dan - Fantastic musicians and brilliant songwriters
4. Waylon Jennings - Watasha was the man.
3. Jeff Buckley - gone waaaaaay too soon. 5 octave range, amazing musician. Could be #1 really.
2. Allman Brothers - Duane. Greg. Dickie. Jaimoe. The brothers are incredible.
1a. Prince - possibly the greatest musician ever. He was crazy brilliant.
1b. Stevie Ray Vaughan - greatest guitarist ever.

SOLID list. Great ones in there.
88Fox
Have you guys seen Australian Pink Floyd? I don't generally pay to see cover bands but those guys are really good. The live instruments sound just like the recording. The vocals are close enough to where I forget they are a cover band at times. The show is well worth $25.
SoCalTrojanDawg
Get ready for the Oldies, folks (and not what you'd think!).

1. Antonio Carlos Yobim
1. Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66
1. Henry Mancini and his Orchestra
1. John Gary
1. Julie London

They're all #1...switch'em around and they're all #1 with me.

But, to keep more in line with the posts here, The Four Seasons and The Dave Clark Five would be my two favorite bands from the '60's. I was never a Beatles fan, although my favorite songs by them I like quite a bit...."This Boy", by Ringo Starr, also known as, "Ringo's Theme", and the other? I can't think of it right off. LOL.
CitadelDawg84
Saw Henry Mancini several times with my parents. They performed often in Savannah's Johnny Mercer Theatre.
SoCalTrojanDawg
Okay, I'll get more fine-tuned and specific with my list and give the reasons why.....

1. Dave Clark Five (rock)--they had the best foot-stompin, bass-beatin' sound of any band in the '60's. The Beatles were a druggie band, the Stones were, well, stoned. Runner-up: The Four Seasons

2. John Gary (popular)--for me, the best male vocalist of the 20th Century! BAR NONE! Runner-up: about a hundred singers, but I'll go with Frank Sinatra & Julie London

3. Antonio Carlos Jobim (Brazilian Jazz)--aaaaahhhhhh, nothing like the cool boss-nova sounds soothing all over your body, mind, and soul. Runner-up: Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66.

4. Jo Stafford (American Standards)--"You Belong To Me" will forever be immortalized in my heart and spirit as the consummate post-WWII "comin' home" song, the music and sound of my parents. Runner-up: Too many to list.

5. Judy Garland (overall musical entertainer)--the GREATEST musical entertainer in Hollywood history; she could sing, act, AND dance (the triple-threat of your talents was almost a requirement back in those days). Yet, she lived a very sad life and died a heart-breaking and tragic death, broke and homeless.

BONUS: Henry Mancini & Orchestra (instrumental)--my absolute favorite composer, from "Mr. Lucky" to "Moon River" & "Days of Wine and Roses", to the time of his end. He, along with Johnny Mercer, were the "composers to the Stars".

"Saw Henry Mancini several times with my parents. They performed often in Savannah's Johnny Mercer Theatre."

Citadel, you do know that the song, "Moon River", was about an actual river than runs very near Savannah, GA., don't you? Today, there is a real "Moon River" near Savannah that had been renamed in its honor of the late, great Johnny Mercer, who was born there. But, I'm not telling you anything new, right? Of course, not!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.