Top 5 Musical Acts & Why

11,339 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SoCalTrojanDawg
CitadelDawg84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Meant 5 ...

Trying to keep my mind off of the game until 3:30 tomorrow... Anyone that knows me, my passion is music ... all genres (except rap).

Inspired by a previous thread that morphed in a discussion about rappers ... who are your top 5 musical acts ... and why?

5 - REM - Didn't go to UGA. Was in military school during their early days. Saw them at least 6 times. Extremely revolutionary. Post punk era was ending and they inspired the grunge era ... Including bands like Nirvana. Anyone that records a song with part of the lead guitar track laid down and played backwards ... any guess what song that was?

4 - Elvis ... Costello ... Critic success ... main stream planarian. One of the best story tellers. Plays what he wants and how he wants. Doesn't think... this might be a hit. Great musician and a terrific vocalist. Don't believe me on the vocals. Check out the Painted From Memory album ... that he recorded with Burt Bacharach.

3 - The Beatles - Revolutionary. If I was a bit older they would be higher on my list ... I would bet.

2 - The Eagles - Best harmonies, super group that all had super solo careers. Early on, most played on several Linda Ronstadt albums.

1 - Pink Floyd - Inovative, detailed and every sound, no matter how obscure has a purpose. Dark Side of the Moon was on the Billboard Top 100 for ... about 9 years. In 1982 I was the only person walking out of The Brice Theater in Vidalia claiming The Wall was a great movie ... Life story of Syd Barrett

A bit eclectic, I know. I have an Apple Music mix of everyone that I have seen live ... including these (exception: The Beatles - even though I've seen Sir Paul) Also includes Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis, The Carpenters ...
Dean Legge
Staff
You've got No. 1 correct.

I would have to get back with the rest of my list.
Dean Legge
Staff
Dark Side of the Moon is the best album ever.

Hands down. Not close.
CitadelDawg84
Dean Legge said:

Dark Side of the Moon is the best album ever.

Hands down. Not close.

Funny story ... my son called me one morning at about 2 am. He told me he was playing trivia and if they got the last question correct, his team would win. That question just happened to be "What album spent the longest period of time in the Billboard top 100" .. he had to kick and scream but his friends finally listened to him. He had called to tell me my worthless music trivia had finally paid off.

Question for you. Do you know who produced that album? Alan Parsons of the Alan Parsons Project ... a master.
jpzd33
In all fairness, you cannot have a list with the Beatles anything but 1. Any and every other artist you have idolizes them. Every song they wrote was a hit. Arguably the 3 greatest song writers of all time in Paul, John and George. The only knock on them is their lack of live music.

Hard to have any order that doesn't include Beatles, Stones, Who and Zeppelin as the top 4.

The Eagles are probably the greatest American band of all time. Hard to argue with the kick ass guitar of Walsh and Felder and the vocals and song writing of Henley/Frey. If Duane lived a bit longer the Allman Bros would have had a case. And instrumentally, the Dead are up there. They didn't have the lyrics or the vocals though. But Jerry on guitar and Phil on bass is up there with any band.

I do like Elvos Costello a lot. Tough to put him as the top solo artist of all time though. Ahead of Elton, Bowie, Petty, McCartney, Billy Joel etc.

Roger Waters is way too much of an anti-Semitic dousche bag for for PF to be that high up there. Though it could be between them, the Doors(despite very limited work), the Eagles for that 5th spot
PurpleBrave
Not going to fault anyone's taste in music...obviously if you've sold millions and millions of albums you're doing something right...

but I've never liked the Eagles and Pink Floyd.
CitadelDawg84
All a matter of taste... that's what's so great about music.
BoDawg
I will give you my crazy mix.

5. Stevie Wonder
4. Simon and Garfunkel
3. The Who
2. The Beatles
1. Willie Nelson

Feel guilty for not putting AC/DC in there. May of been on a lot of songs that sound alike, but damn I love listening to them.

And if you don't like Willie Nelson, I can't be your friend.

CitadelDawg84
Jpz ... all worth while names. My list ebbs and flows ... you are right about The Beatles. Love all of their work ... just not fair to not have them at #1 but when I slip in my earbuds they just aren't my "go too".

"Paul is a dead man, I miss him, miss him, miss him" . Had the White Album in vinyl and it did play this spinning the record backwards.

Beatles trivia question for you. Who is the incredited guitarist on While My Guitar Gently Sleeps? Hint: He married George Harrison's ex ....
CitadelDawg84
BoDawg said:

I will give you my crazy mix.

5. Stevie Wonder
4. Simon and Garfunkel
3. The Who
2. The Beatles
1. Willie Nelson

Feel guilty for not putting AC/DC in there. May of been on a lot of songs that sound alike, but damn I love listening to them.

And if you don't like Willie Nelson, I can't be your friend.

We would be friends. Stevie Wonder is way up my list ... along with the rest of yours.
BoDawg
And I kind of wanted to put who I think is one of the most underrated bands of all time in there. Steely Dan.

Never mind, I am. Bump Simon and Garfunkel out to 6, leave Stevie in the 5 spot and give me Steely Dan at #4
jpzd33
Clapton of course. Great guitar player. I'm a youngling comparatively. 91 baby. Graduated UGA in 2012, semester early. Should have been spring of 13. I learned music mostly from my father. I also took history of rock n roll w professor Valdez my freshman yr. Great course
CitadelDawg84
BoDawg said:

And I kind of wanted to put who I think is one of the most underrated bands of all time in there. Steely Dan.

Never mind, I am. Bump Simon and Garfunkel out to 6, leave Stevie in the 5 spot and give me Steely Dan at #4

Not far down mine. Donald ***en and Walter Becker mixed genres like no other. Donald ***en's solo album The Nightfly is another top album of mine.

(How in the world did that happen Dean ... doesn't appear that way before I save... Donald ***en ) Got it. Doesn't like the letters F ... A and G together.
dawgpostsucks
My top 5:

1. The Beatles (Rock)
2. Michael Jackson (Pop)
3. Metallica (Heavy Metal)
4. Glenn Miller & His Orchestra (Big Band)
5. Hank Williams, Jr. (Country)
jpzd33
BoDawg said:

Steely Dan is fantastic. Even still today, Donald ***en is great. I would only say Chicago is more underrated cause it took them forever to get into to HOF. People will put Yes and Moody Blues in that category too. I'm personally just not as big a fan of the 2 of them as much as Chicago

A bit of a joke for the HOf to put the E street Band in before them, or at all, since they're a backup band. They're not putting in the Heartbreakers or Crazy Horse
CitadelDawg84
AirForce ... you know, I have never been a big Metallica fan until I listener to one of their albums with a lot of covers. I learned to appreciate their talent ... instrumentals and vocals from that. They do a great job in the Bob Seger classic Turn the Page.

Glenn Miller was the bomb.

Jr is a heck of an entertainer ... would have loved to see his father.
CitadelDawg84
jpzd33 said:

BoDawg said:

Steely Dan is fantastic. Even still today, Donald ***en is great. I would only say Chicago is more underrated cause it took them forever to get into to HOF. People will put Yes and Moody Blues in that category too. I'm personally just not as big a fan of the 2 of them as much as Chicago

A bit of a joke for the HOf to put the E street Band in before them, or at all, since they're a backup band. They're not putting in the Heartbreakers or Crazy Horse

Early Yes was so inovative. Moody Blues .. same thing and so relaxing to listen too.

Bruce and the E Street band is not one of my top acts but Born to Run is a GREAT album.
dawgpostsucks
CitadelDawg84 said:

AirForce ... you know, I have never been a big Metallica fan until I listener to one of their albums with a lot of covers. I learned to appreciate their talent ... instrumentals and vocals from that. They do a great job in the Bob Seger classic Turn the Page.
CitadelDawg84,

Growing up in south Georgia (Valdosta) in a religious family (Southern Baptist) I wasn't allowed to listen to heavy metal. However, once I arrived at UGA as a freshman, I started listening to Metallica (and Megadeath) and was hooked. Then I saw them live in Gulfport, MS in 1997 and came away impressed w/ the effort they put into their concert, how they interacted with their fanbase, and their staying overtime to played multiple encores. Fwiw, I really like their early albums (e.g., 'Kill 'Em All', 'Ride the Lightning', 'Master of Puppets', '...And Justice for All', 'Metallica').
CitadelDawg84
AirForceDawg said:

CitadelDawg84 said:

CitadelDawg84,

Growing up in south Georgia (Valdosta) in a religious family (Southern Baptist) I wasn't allowed to listen to heavy metal. However, once I arrived at UGA as a freshman, I started listening to Metallica (and Megadeath) and was hooked. Then I saw them live in Gulfport, MS in 1997 and came away impressed w/ the effort they put into their concert, how they interacted with their fanbase, and their staying overtime to played multiple encores. Fwiw, I really like their early albums (e.g., 'Kill 'Em All', 'Ride the Lightning', 'Master of Puppets', '...And Justice for All', 'Metallica').

My mom thought I was going to hell for being a big Kiss fan ... pre-Love Gun ... they lost me there.
jpzd33
CitadelDawg84 said:

jpzd33 said:

BoDawg said:

Early Yes was so inovative. Moody Blues .. same thing and so relaxing to listen too.

Bruce and the E Street band is not one of my top acts but Born to Run is a GREAT album.

Not a huge Bruce fan either. Saw him 2 years ago at the Barclays Center. Puts on a great show. I just don't get how a backup band gets in by themselves. And it's not some out of this world backup band either. Van Zandt is solid, but to mr he'll always be Silvio. Not a kickass guitarist
dawgpostsucks
CitadelDawg84 said:

AirForceDawg said:

CitadelDawg84 said:

CitadelDawg84,

My mom thought I was going to hell for being a big Kiss fan ... pre-Love Gun ... they lost me there.
I never got to listen to them until I graduated high school, but I thought their "look" was interesting.
Shelt320
Otis Redding
Al Green
Clapton
Stones
Favorite country - Waylon Jennings
dawgpostsucks
Shelt320 said:

Otis Redding
Al Green
Clapton
Stones
Fwiw, I never get tired of listening to Redding's '(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay', Green's 'Let's Stay Together', and Clapton's 'Change the World' songs.
CitadelDawg84
Shelt320 said:

Otis Redding
Al Green
Clapton
Stones

Otis... from Macon. Classic
Reverend Al Green - also on a lot of my play lists
Clapton - goes without saying. Any believe his name didn't come up earlier ... wait ... it did ... or should have ... asked a question earlier about a uncredited guitarist on The Beatles, While My Guitar Gentley Weeps ... he was the man.

Seen the Stones twice. Don't think anyone has done it longer ...

Shelt320
Did you know the song Layla was written by Clapton about the love he had for George Harrison wife?
Love Otis other songs . He could really get down and his band was one of the best R&B groups.
CitadelDawg84
Did not know that. I will add that to my worthlessness music trivia docket...
Zoesdawg69
Dean Legge said:

Corrrect!!! Pink Floyd is the greatest band of all time. Rush coming in 2nd
dawgpostsucks
Zoesdawg69 said:

Dean Legge said:

Corrrect!!! Pink Floyd is the greatest band of all time. Rush coming in 2nd
I love the former's 'Another Brick on the Wall' and the latter's 'Tom Sawyer' songs.
Bulldawg1
1. Michael Jackson
2. U2

For me, everyone else is behind, but, will list 3 more:

GNR, Elvis, and Tupac.

Johnny Cash was dang good too - Folsom Prison

Favorite female artists:
1. Lauryn Hill
2. Celine Dione
3. Whitney Houston
4. Kelly Clarkson (she will walk up on stage in blue Jean's and no shoes and slay a song song).

Old school: Nat King Cole and Etta James

Preferred the Beach Boys over thr Beatles

Rap:
1. Tupac
2. Eminem
3. Beastie Boys
4. Ladies Love Cool James

1. Johnny Cash
2. Josh Turner
3. FGL (ducking, I know, guilty pleasure)
4. Alabama
5. Hank Williams

Miscellaneous:
Toby Mac
Justin Timberlake (not NSync) - super talented in all aspects of music
Kid Rock (met him behind stage once where he performed with no warmup or anything as a "surprise" guest. Very talented - and had no mic or sound help)
Stephanie (my wife, you may not know her, but dang she sings like an angel!)

StalkinDawg
5. Hank Williams
4. Amy Winehouse
3. Robert Cray
2. Avett Bros
1. The Beatles
I'm too ugly or something
LowIq
i have written all of your names down as people i dont like any more.

anyone who doesnt have patsy cline is either a kid or a damn city boy.
Bulldawg1
LowIq said:

"Crazy" by Cline and "At Last" by Etta James might be my 2 favorite female vocal songs ever.

yearofthedawg
After hearing Seth Rogan's Movie line "Steely Dan gargles my balls" I can't listen to their music without smirking. But on to more serious matters...

Does the performance quality matter? The Eagles were indeed loaded with talent, but their concerts were as exciting as watching a record spin. Ditto Boston, who also deserves a mention I think.

I'm in the camp that can appreciate Pink Floyd as an innovator that can be at or near top of the list. Also id put in Led Zeppelin even for Stairway to Heaven alone- though they offered so much more. The guitar solo on Whole Lotta Love is one of my favorites anywhere, and Misty Mountain Hop used to go through my head before football games.

I'd include Aerosmith and The Rolling Stones for longevity and performance ability. And I don't think anyone has mentioned Bad Company... maybe not an obvious choice but the song Bad Company and Shooting Star were a few of my faves.

Anyway, mission accomplished on the pre game diversion- we'll done!
drgrouper
This will be unique:

Queen
Pink Floyd
Elton John
Zeppelin
The Who

I was 11 when the Beatles came to the Ed Sullivan show. Thought they were the coolest thing ever. A year later a cousin from Jacksonville showed up at my house with The first Who album and one by the Yardbirds. Game over. No more Beatles for me. Here's a worthy name most have never heard, John Baldry. John Lennon, Rod Stewart and others give John Baldry much credit and actually sort of became successful using his style and passion. "Don't call me no boogie Woogie (pronounced boojie woojie) man I'm the king of rock'n roll."
ChappyDawg
LowIq said:

Her songs are timeless!

I listen to all kinds of music and don't have an order

Pixies
Waylon Jennings
Johnny Cash
The Smiths
The White Stripes
Motorhead
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Eagles of Death Metal
Pretenders
Devo
The Jam
The Statler Brothers
Kanye West
Post Malone

Jeez, it's endless...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.