ESPN president says network will not air national anthem on 'Monday Night Football'

5,103 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 88Fox
CitadelDawg84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OT

ESPN president says network will not air national anthem on 'Monday Night Football'

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/08/17/espn-president-says-network-will-not-air-national-anthem-on-monday-night-football.html
PurpleBrave
Actually don't disagree with their decision. They didn't air it last season and are avoiding a polarizing topic. They didn't say they absolutely wouldn't. how often is it aired before other nfl games and college football?

viperoy
CitadelDawg84 said:

OT

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/08/17/espn-president-says-network-will-not-air-national-anthem-on-monday-night-football.html

Since you introduced this non-football subject I guess I should be able to explore it. Where has it ever been decreed by anyone (excepting Donald Trump) that we have to play the national anthem at a sporting event--or anywhere else for that matter? Now before you blow up, I have no issue with any country's national anthem. I do however have a real problem with anyone, including a government and especially a government, forcing me to recite it, stand for it, cross my heart while it is playing or putting my hat over any one of my orifices while it airs. This is a new level of nationalism heretofore only seen in the likes of communist regimes, dictatorships, etc. Nazi Germany being a prime example.

My country is flawed historically and presently, but whose is not. I'll feel proud of my country when presently we have learned from our mistakes and work to be better people. That ain't happenin!

I'll be prouder of my country when we value teachers over ambulance drivers (you know, those "heroes"). I'll be proud when people mean more to us than profits, when the color of skin makes no difference in opportunity, when we recognize character and truth, when we work to better the planet rather than exploit it for all the gain that is there and when we finally realize that this is not a theocracy. I'll be proud when we recoil when a President says women are fat and disgusting (that includes your wives, daughters, mothers), when he describes their genitals and what he wants to do to them, when he states that he knows more than nuclear physicists, when he claims to know more than our diplomats, when he claims to know more than our generals.

When I am proud again, I will listen to the national anthem--but only because I choose to.
uga6guy
They only aired it 3 times last year.
REDdawg12
Wow
Bulldawg1
2 threads killed in one night. Beware.
CitadelDawg84
Been done before ... doesn't make it right. It is sad and the acceptance is sad ... probably much to difficult for some to even comprehend.

That's all I have to stay.
cantonk9
Way too early on Saturday morning to get hit in the head with this thread. Maybe I should go back to bed...
Dirtydawgs
Hey any one see where Artie Lynch joined the service?
Newnan Dawg
I guess your opinion reflects your station in life. As a 73 year old male who served in the military, fought in Viet Nam and is proud of my country and the benefits I receive from being an American. The Flag represents my country and I respect that flag and all it stands for. I am proud to stand and hold my hand over my heart when the National Anthem is being sang and the flag is being raised. If you do not feel the same, that says a lot about you.
CitadelDawg84
Newnan Dawg said:

I guess your opinion reflects your station in life. As a 73 year old male who served in the military, fought in Viet Nam and is proud of my country and the benefits I receive from being an American. The Flag represents my country and I respect that flag and all it stands for. I am proud to stand and hold my hand over my heart when the National Anthem is being sang and the flag is being raised. If you do not feel the same, that says a lot about you.

Newnan - Personally I don't like phrase "thank you for your service." Just a bit cliche. I do like to tell Vietnam veterans "Welcome home " just because of what it was like when you came home.

I am more grateful than you can imagine for your generation. It is because of your generation of veterans efforts that my son is alive today. His homecoming was nothing short of hell. Your generation fought for badly needed help and assistance to younger veterans. My wife and I spent a year not knowing what we would find when we got home from work as my son continued with his battle in his head. Today he still struggles, and always will, but has a great job and is doing must better than we ever imagined ... for that, I THANK YOU! God Bless You!
StalkinDawg
Some errors in your post. Trump did not decree the anthem to be played before sporting events. Woodrow Wilson is the president your looking for, I believe. He ordered that the anthem be played before military and "other appropriate" events.

When the anthem became intertwined with baseball during the World Series in 1918 it created a groundswell of national pride. At the end of the war, and not wanting to be left out of the dollars that this newfound patriotism might bring, the NFL commish ordered the anthem be played before all games. Again not Trump.

I'm too ugly or something
PurpleBrave
Nba has a rule requiring players to stand. Nobody seems to care about it
dynamicbigboy
Hey Viperoy,
ColonialDawg
Why can't the teams just enter the field after the Anthem (just like college)?
StalkinDawg
ColonialDawg said:

Why can't the teams just enter the field after the Anthem (just like college)?
Some of them were under contract with the DoD to be on the field during the anthem. I believe that contract has since lapsed.
I'm too ugly or something
tdperk
viperoy said:

CitadelDawg84 said:

OT

Since you introduced this non-football subject I guess I should be able to explore it. Where has it ever been decreed by anyone (excepting Donald Trump) that we have to play the national anthem at a sporting event--or anywhere else for that matter? Now before you blow up, I have no issue with any country's national anthem. I do however have a real problem with anyone, including a government and especially a government, forcing me to recite it, stand for it, cross my heart while it is playing or putting my hat over any one of my orifices while it airs. This is a new level of nationalism heretofore only seen in the likes of communist regimes, dictatorships, etc. Nazi Germany being a prime example.

My country is flawed historically and presently, but whose is not. I'll feel proud of my country when presently we have learned from our mistakes and work to be better people. That ain't happenin!

I'll be prouder of my country when we value teachers over ambulance drivers (you know, those "heroes"). I'll be proud when people mean more to us than profits, when the color of skin makes no difference in opportunity, when we recognize character and truth, when we work to better the planet rather than exploit it for all the gain that is there and when we finally realize that this is not a theocracy. I'll be proud when we recoil when a President says women are fat and disgusting (that includes your wives, daughters, mothers), when he describes their genitals and what he wants to do to them, when he states that he knows more than nuclear physicists, when he claims to know more than our diplomats, when he claims to know more than our generals.

When I am proud again, I will listen to the national anthem--but only because I choose to.

88Fox
The decision to not air the national anthem on TV is hilarious. They only started showing it to create a controversy in the first place. They didn't air any of it until players started kneeling. When the protest backfired, they decided that it would be best to go back to the way things were. Now they can't because of the outrage they caused. Hilarious and the very best karma they could get.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.