OT: More stupidity from Schultz

4,136 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jt10mc
ColonialDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sicemdawgs77
"Shultz!! Schultz!! I know knuzing!"

A little Hogans Heroes reference.
CummingDawg22
clicks!!!!!!!!
PurpleBrave
These people are only going against the Braves because they know the Braves will cave. They already have once.

Nobody is crying to Florida State to stop the chop and they're the originators. Remember about 10 years ago when the NCAA told FSU to change their mascot and stop the chop? The Seminole tribe told them to shove it and you didn't hear about it again.
Walvegasdog
Admittedly I did not watch a lot of the pregame coverage, but did anybody complain about the Kansas City Chiefs and their chant?

I am almost 60 and remember the only political or social opinion found in the newspaper was on the editorial page. As the years went by, political and social opinion began to creep into the business section and then, unfortunately into my last refuge, the sports page.

It was not long after that I terminated my subscription.
Dean Legge
Staff
"did anybody complain about the Kansas City Chiefs and their chant?"

Yes
etienne18
Think about it tho, it is kind of a bad look if most native americans are troubled by it
88Fox
etienne18 said:

Think about it tho, it is kind of a bad look if most native americans are troubled by it
I wonder if "most" native Americans really are troubled by it. The people with the megaphones are mad but I am not sure if anyone else cares. Personally, I couldn't care less one way or another.
sicemdawgs77
etienne18 said:

From what I read, most are not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/new-poll-finds-90-percent-native-americans-not-offended-redskins-name

Now, these two are about the Redskins but I think it crosses over to the topic of the chop also.
Matt DeBary
Staff
I worked with Jeff's son at the Alpharetta YMCA the summer after I graduated high school. Stole the dudes girl. That tool HATED me. Those were the days.
RyanJordan
If you complain about Native American mascots and don't simultaneously fuss about the Minnesota Vikings, USC Trojans and MSU Spartans then you're a hypocrite.

I've yet to meet one that does.
Gasdawg
RyanJordan said:

If you complain about Native American mascots and don't simultaneously fuss about the Minnesota Vikings, USC Trojans and MSU Spartans then you're a hypocrite.

I'm trying to see your point, but we as a country didn't exterminate vikings, Spartans and Trojans.

Also, I really don't have an opinion on this matter.
sicemdawgs77
Matt DeBary said:

I worked with Jeff's son at the Alpharetta YMCA the summer after I graduated high school. Stole the dudes girl. That tool HATED me. Those were the days.

If Schultz's son is anything like his dad, I can see why. lol
RyanJordan
Gasdawg said:

RyanJordan said:

I'm trying to see your point, but we as a country didn't exterminate vikings, Spartans and Trojans.

The Seminole tribe of Florida has come out in favor of FSU's mascot/imagery, including the chop. Why does Schultz choose to ignore them?

Christians have been persecuted throughout history. I'm still waiting on his Saints article.

1-in-33 Brits can trace their ancestry to the Vikings. You don't think we can find one that would be upset at Minnesota?

This rabbit hole never ends.
RyanJordan
I'm sure there's a rancher in Oklahoma who's probably upset that his great grandfather has been deemed a Sooner and a land thief.

They just don't count because they're white and therefore Schultz doesn't care.
Firebrand
I know a few native Americans. They don't like it. They also allow for a ommunity to express if they aren't bothered by the mascots, etc.

Example a friend of mine gave was FSU because of the relationship with the Seminole community. He also said that Ireland seems to be fine with the Fighting Irish.

No way around it, it's a touchy subject. Once folks get used to a thing it's hard to let it go, no matter how good or bad it is for them or anyone else.

If it were my people, I'd be upset.

It's nobodys fault they fall in love with a brand. One of the great things about this country is we always STRIVE to get it right. Even when it's uncomfortable...in this case nobody thought to give an audience to misgiving about these chants, etc decades ago.

We are now. I'm not in any hurry to see a change because if you have to hurry, most of the time, to my mind, it means it isn't the right time.

RyanJordan
Firebrand said:

I know a few native Americans. They don't like it. They also allow for a ommunity to express if they aren't bothered by the mascots, etc.

Example a friend of mine gave was FSU because of the relationship with the Seminole community. He also said that Ireland seems to be fine with the Fighting Irish.

No way around it, it's a touchy subject. Once folks get used to a thing it's hard to let it go, no matter how good or bad it is for them or anyone else.

If it were my people, I'd be upset.

There's definitely an Irishman out there who is offended that they're deemed "fighters."

I'm sure there's a PETA member who thinks Cardinals are persecuted by Hawks and Falcons.

This rabbit hole is just so absurd. There's a section of society who live to be perpetually offended and nothing is too PC enough to satisfy them.
Firebrand
We won't solve this here so I won't debate it.

But the role of a warrior in those societies is spiritual, ancestral linked and is deeper than a role or even societal status. The drums and chants go further beyond that.

I get it. I used to be a part of a team that did a made-up haka u til we learned the meaning and why it was important to Maori people.

I don't expect anyone to respect the issues native Americans have with their culture becoming what all cultures do in a melting pot. It's a weird fit for how our society handlea that kinda deal.

Where cultures becomes a kind of topical currency. But that doesn't mean they don't have a worthy gripe. It just means we don't care.

And that's fine. I'm okay with being honest about that.
Andrew
RyanJordan said:

I've said the exact same thing thing in the past. While I agree and think this whole thing is ridiculous, is it a hill we really want to die on? I'd much rather be whining about the braves not making enough moves, not about some chant. I'm so over it. This argument has been going on since at least the 90s, maybe before then. For me, arguing any longer doesn't get us anything in return but make us look like racists in some people's eyes. The only good thing we get out of it, are foam tomahawks.
Firebrand
Gasdawg said:

RyanJordan said:

Exactly. And the Trojans are not an actual people. It's from a myth.
CummingDawg22
Firebrand said:

Gasdawg said:

RyanJordan said:

Exactly. And the Trojans are not an actual people. It's from a myth.
Wait.... Do you think Troy didn't actually exist?
Firebrand
Hisarlik did, I believe. Or Wilosa? I may have those spelling wrong. But Troy didn't, it represented one of those cities or areas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy

I learned this offhand because I made the exact same argument about 20 years ago. Except I included the Providence Friars, The Flying Dutchmen and the Cornhuskers. I argued that until they remove all ethnic/peoples referenced mascots that there wasn't a case to be made.

I then later was educated about the my logical fallacies and the argument was laid out in a Boolean equation proving why I was incorrect.

I've since changed my stance. Those are not equivalent arguments

apmdawg
I'm of Irish descent and I strongly dislike Notre Dame. Can I complain and get them to change that nickname and get rid of that little leprechaun? I'm too busy trying to live life to give a rats arse.
jt10mc
Matt DeBary said:

I salute you sir!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.