President Trump just said this in Army locker room..

3,399 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ssidedawg
Bulldawg1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
...that those who are good enough to play professionally, can pursue that 1st, then serve later. Has this always been the case, or is this something new?

if new, will the academies be a potentially more desired destination for some athletes?

Thanks.
Dirteater Dawg
One of my all time favorites David Robinson got drafted as the #1 pick and then went and served his two years before joining the Spurs.
PurpleBrave
I think that's always been the case
Heath Mills
It's gone back and forth. Gen Mattis did away with it as SecDef. If the Commander in Chief just said it, then that's how it will be going forward.
dawgpostsucks
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/bs-sp-cs-military-service-athletes-20191115-rpcm6ms33rhixhohqh4n4id3j4-story.html
ssidedawg
The draft dodger said that?
AtlantaDawg
PurpleBrave said:

I think that's always been the case

It has not. There has been some amending to the Military's policy, but the paradigm case was a Naval kid ~ 10 years ago who tried/wanted played for the Detroit Lions; and did to a small degree until he had to fulfill his obligations.

David Robinson also stands out as an exception.
Bulldawg1
This was not a political thread. Please do not make it one.
Let's be united in supporting those who serve and have served today, enjoy the game, and celebrate what we have for those who have sacrificed - no matter their race, political party, or title.

Thank you.
Bulldawg1
I was genuinely trying to ask a recruiting question as it pertained to the academies.
ssidedawg
Bulldawg1 said:

This was not a political thread. Please do not make it one.
Let's be united in supporting those who serve and have served today, enjoy the game, and celebrate what we have for those who have sacrificed - no matter their race, political party, or title.

Thank you.
A thread about the POTUS making a policy statement isn't political? Wrong! Its actually very political.

I support the men and women who serve and served. POTUS didn't serve and took great lengths not to serve.

I dare say most veterans agree they shouldnt be allowed to postpone military service for the NFL. At least thats what most Senior military officials have stated.

Bulldawg1
Ok, whatever - you are completely wrong, 100% - but for some weird reason you do like to twists my posts. You don't know me at all, if you did, you would know the intention behind this had nothing to do with politics - and that wasnt anywhere in my thoughts on my question. But for some reason, you want to tell me differently. I dont post about politics in any public forum, social media, and here - never have. I was genuinely asking a football recruiting question as it relates to the academies, and cited the source/reason. It's something I dont know a lot about, and was hoping someone would provide an informative answer that didnt include a bunch bologna that is not necessary. I genuinely dont care what anyone's political opinions are on here, and I don't ever ask for them. I assume they dont care about mine, and therefore dont offer them. I am not very involved in politics at all - dont desirento be.
Sometimes a question is a question - that's it....I asked you to not make it something that it is not.
I really don't get why you had to do that. Now this thread is just a waste of everyone's time. Is that what you were going for? Or was there some other agenda you have? Whatever it is, maybe you feel like you need to win - so there you go, if it makes you feel better, you win whatever you were trying to win. I just wanted information - which I will evidently have to find out elsewhere.
ssidedawg
Bulldawg1 said:

Ok, whatever - you are completely wrong, 100% - but for some weird reason you do like to twists my posts. You don't know me at all, if you did, you would know the intention behind this had nothing to do with politics - and that wasnt anywhere in my thoughts on my question. But for some reason, you want to tell me differently. I dont post about politics in any public forum, social media, and here - never have. I was genuinely asking a football recruiting question as it relates to the academies, and cited the source/reason. It's something I dont know a lot about, and was hoping someone would provide an informative answer that didnt include a bunch bologna that is not necessary. I genuinely dont care what anyone's political opinions are on here, and I don't ever ask for them. I assume they dont care about mine, and therefore dont offer them. I am not very involved in politics at all - dont desirento be.
Sometimes a question is a question - that's it....I asked you to not make it something that it is not.
I really don't get why you had to do that. Now this thread is just a waste of everyone's time. Is that what you were going for? Or was there some other agenda you have? Whatever it is, maybe you feel like you need to win - so there you go, if it makes you feel better, you win whatever you were trying to win. I just wanted information - which I will evidently have to find out elsewhere.

So my one sentence prompted all that? Saying "draft dodger" was some sort of political post? Thats an agenda? Triggered is the word that comes to mind. I didn't twist your post, you decided to go ballistic. No offense dude, this post wasn't destined for greatness. Its not ruined. lol

So lets get back to recruiting:

I doubt there is a handful of top recruits that could even qualify for any service Academy. Then you have to commit to the entirety of Academy rules, regulations, and curriculum. Now if you desire to commit to all the things AND you play football, your college options are probably limitless and you probably are truly a student athlete. I doubt that changes anyone's mind and merely allows those 1% of the players that could play pro leave to go play pro first. I don't like the new Presidential policy.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.