OT: Nike is getting stupid

4,640 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ssidedawg
ColonialDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lamar
I find Kaepernick offensive.
ssidedawg
Or are they brilliant? First, those shoes are ugly. I bet sales were $0. Now....they have a free marketing campaign. lol

REDdawg12
I guess kaepernick runs Nike now.
yearofthedawg
he needs a Colin-oscopy...
Andrew
ssidedawg said:

Or are they brilliant? First, those shoes are ugly. I bet sales were $0. Now....they have a free marketing campaign. lol

I get what you're saying and truthfully its a very good point, how many of those shoes would they have actually sold? In this case though, I think the first go around with Kapernick, in turned fruitful for them but I think this go around could be the opposite. This is just silly are we really allowing Kapernick decide what a major company is selling? I mean, if it was a confederate flag on there, that would be one thing, but NOW its insulting to have an historical American Flag on there? I over looked the first go around, but this time I have to say I may be going out of my way to look at other brands moving forward.
RyanJordan
The State of Arizona has cancelled all business with Nike.

CummingDawg22
It's not a good marketing campaign at all.

This will not get the support of the national anthem kneeling stuff. This is just a real poor look for a large company. Under this definition, any Americana is offensive.

People as a whole will not get behind this.

Good for Nike exploiting labor around the world but taking a hard stance on historical American flags. They really have a good moral compass.
llib34
I wouldn't by nike if they were the only option.
ssidedawg
The marketing campaign I mention is using the old adage that there is no bad publicity. The attention to the shoes is now 10x+ what is was before the Kap thing. I never heard of these shoes....lol.
CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

The marketing campaign I mention is using the old adage that there is no bad publicity. The attention to the shoes is now 10x+ what is was before the Kap thing. I never heard of these shoes....lol.
I get what you're saying but the idea that you know the shoes now means nothing.... They are pulled.

Overall this wasn't a good look for Nike no matter how you slice it.
Gasdawg
CummingDawg22 said:

It's not a good marketing campaign at all.

This will not get the support of the national anthem kneeling stuff. This is just a real poor look for a large company. Under this definition, any Americana is offensive.

People as a whole will not get behind this.

Good for Nike exploiting labor around the world but taking a hard stance on historical American flags. They really have a good moral compass.

This^^^
I bet many of the people that were behind the kneeling are now rolling their eyes at this move.
ColonialDawg
I honestly would like to see Georgia give Nike the middle finger after this, but I doubt it happens.
Dean Legge
Staff
ColonialDawg said:

I honestly would like to see Georgia give Nike the middle finger after this, but I doubt it happens.

It will not happen
Dean Legge
Staff
And I don't know why that emoji popped up.
thedogfather
It's just silly. I guess it is a credit to our founding fathers that 250 years later people have nothing more to bicker about than perceived slights.
RyanJordan
Didn't Kaepernick and all of the activists tell us this was about police brutality and not the flag?

Oh wait...
jt10mc
ColonialDawg said:

Only reason I have any Nike products.
jt10mc
They can do whatever they want to do. This is the freedom I fought for. That said...not a good look. Most athletic gear I have is predominantly UA.

I would challenge him to tell me what country is better? I have been all over the world to include pretty much every area of Africa (North, South, East and West African countries) and most people in that part of the world who are quasi democratic at best think that most people in our country are idiots and take what we have for granted.

We have our past warts as do ALL countries and governments but there isn't a better country.

The other thing is has he ever looked into where Nike has its gear made and who is actually doing it?

For a long time they employed child labor in third world countries.

I never see him nor his ilk ever speak out against countries that actually oppress people.

He WOULD NOT have this voice in many of the places I have been.

Oh and btw - he is a multimillionaire from football...again I have no problem with him making money -don't tell me I am wrong for doing so myself nor crap on the flag or people that allows him do so.
viperoy
thedogfather said:

It's just silly. I guess it is a credit to our founding fathers that 250 years later people have nothing more to bicker about than perceived slights.
Hmmm! Does it seem that what we are greatly divided about is "perceived slights"?
Nostradawgus
Who would have ever believed that the satirical movie "PCU" would become a reality.

Big me. Little America.
csradawg
Lou Holtz told me that Betsy Ross was one of the nicest lady's he ever met.
sicemdawgs77
Dean Legge said:

Dawgpost can read your true feelings. ;-)
Dean Legge
Staff
sicemdawgs77 said:

Dean Legge said:

comes with the monthly sub.
Gasdawg
Dean Legge said:

sicemdawgs77 said:

Dean Legge said:

Sub...mission?
champ1210
RyanJordan said:

The State of Arizona has cancelled all business with Nike.

Makes you want to move to Arizona.
champ1210
RyanJordan said:

Didn't Kaepernick and all of the activists tell us this was about police brutality and not the flag?

Oh wait...
If you want to know the TRUTH, it was all about him getting benched. He made up all the other crap after the news started covering it. A true POS.
sicemdawgs77
Dean Legge said:

sicemdawgs77 said:

Dean Legge said:

LOL.
DawgInTheSandhills
csradawg said:

Lou Holtz told me that Betsy Ross was one of the nicest lady's he ever met.
i believe the direct quote is:

"Thees one a da nitheth ladies i've ever metth"
DawgInTheSandhills
Nike took a hit financially when they trotted that idiot out as the face of company.

I like JT fought and believe every shred of that belief in a person/entities right to say and believe what they wish.

I drew the line with the idiot when i found he provides funding for "Assata's Daughters" http://www.assatasdaughters.org/

Which on its face is .......... meh. However, when you see the history of the individual its name in "honor" of :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assata_Shakur aka FBI most wanted Joanne Deborah Chesimard. The Wiki is generous in saying between "71-73 charged with." One of the glossed over facts is one of the murders was of a cop point blank in the back of the head.

Idiot, I absolutely believe in your right to whatever it is you want to protest. i draw the line when you give money in honor of a militant organization named after a devoted criminal and cop executioner.

"We intentionally develop and train young Black people in the Black queer feminist tradition and in the spirit of Assata."

I'm not blind to history. I've lived on the receiving end racism none of what i experienced gives me nor anyone the right to be criminals. Congrats Nike - you support murders by proxy.
ssidedawg
I do understand Kap's initial protest back in the beginning. That big picture complaint is valid and we all have a right to an opinion. But as most things, this grew into more. Again, he has a right to an opinion and for every minority militant there is at least one "white dude" on the far extreme validating there complaint.

As far as this new shoe complaint, I do find it odd that Nike even cares what Kap thinks about a shoe. Its 2019 and he is barely relevant anymore. Its a shoe that looks to be designed for old white dudes. I mean, what hip teenager would sport those things?!? As a 50+ year old man...I think they are for older people!

Secondly, how is a flag that existed in the 1700's which clearly sympolizes freedom from Europe deemed offensive? Yeah the Rebel Flag I get. But a US Flag? Weird. I think this is where Kap loses the room completely. Which is probably best as his message(s) have become lost in his rhetoric.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.