OT: Over 1,000 earthquake swarms going on out here

4,089 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ssidedawg
SoCalTrojanDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
These swarms have been going on in just the past three weeks. Over 1,000! Never in my lifetime out here have we had this before. What Trump hasn't been able to do to California, I suppose the Lord will!

They say history repeats itself and Californians are notorious for ignoring history. An excerpt from the L.A. Times yesterday...

"At least three times in California's modern history, large earthquakes have occurred in the wake of smaller temblors:

Central and Southern California, 1857, magnitude 7.8: The last mega-earthquake in Southern California struck on Jan. 9, sending extreme shaking everywhere from Monterey County south to Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties. The main shock at 8:24 a.m. was preceded in the Monterey County area by a magnitude 5.6 earthquake, and a magnitude 6.1 earthquake the hour before that.

Northern California, 1989, magnitude 6.9: The earth was shaking in the months before the Oct. 17 earthquake in the Santa Cruz Mountains interrupted the World Series between the Oakland A's and San Francisco Giants a magnitude 5.4 quake two months earlier and a magnitude 5.3 in June 1988. Jones said many scientists believe those quakes not foreshocks, but something called "preshocks" were related somehow to the Loma Prieta earthquake that killed 63 people.

Southern California, 1992, Joshua Tree-Landers-Big Bear: Earthquakes following the magnitude 6.1 Joshua Tree temblor on April 22 strong enough to rock high-rise office buildings in downtown Los Angeles more than 100 miles away kept on migrating to the north. It began "the most substantial earthquake sequence to occur in California in the last 40 years," according to a study published in 1993 co-written by Hauksson and Jones. The Joshua Tree quake is believed to have triggered on June 28 the magnitude 7.3 Landers earthquake in the Mojave Desert, strong enough to send shaking to Denver; a few hours later, a magnitude 6.3 hit Big Bear.

We're planning on not being present here when these swarms reach their fruition!

Andrew
California is definitely due for another significant earthquake, not for sure you can attribute failed political policies in California to those tremors though.
SoCalTrojanDawg
Andrew said:

California is definitely due for another significant earthquake, not for sure you can attribute failed political policies in California to those tremors though.
We get tremors and quakes from Sacramento EVERY time that doofus Gavin Newsom and Jerry Brown before him open their mouths!
Ugacrazy
Back Porch worthy
Shelt320
There was an earthquake in Cleveland Ohio this week.
Maybe it's a sign!
Andrew
SoCalTrojanDawg said:

Andrew said:

We get tremors and quakes from Sacramento EVERY time that doofus Gavin Newsom and Jerry Brown before him open their mouths!
Thats pretty funny. From people I've talked with no one in California seems to like the politics, taxes and cost of living. I don't understand why the same people seem to stay in control.
65dawg
It never rains in California and boys let me warn yeah it shakes. Was in one in the late 70's and pool water came in the second story bed room! Splish Splash! 65
65dawg
opiedawg
Go check out recent seismicity in Oklahoma on the USGS website. There's always a ton of them over there, due to fracking.
opiedawg
It looks like a little cluster going on north of Napa around the geysers geothermal plant and clear lake. Keep in mind, that they use injection wells at the geysers and those can cause earthquakes. That is also an area that is listed under the USGS is a volcanic hazard zone, even though there hasn't been an eruption in about 50,000 years, it still geothermically seismically-active.

The San Andreas moving through the imperial valley and up towards Palm Springs is really an area to watch. It is also volcanically active on the South shore of the Salton Sea and is at risk of an eruption sometime in the future. That whole area is spreading apart due to The fault, which is causing the volcanism and the potential for powerful magnitude 7 plus earthquakes.
Shelt320
When everyone leaves California, please bring the Flag with ya!!
Daggerdog35
Not trying to be smart but everyone ignores history, its not just Californians.
opiedawg
Good thing living in North Georgia is we're far enough inland not to get a direct impact from hurricane, there are no volcanoes nearby, earthquakes are an extremely low threat here, so besides the occasional tornado we might have to dodge, we have it pretty good as far as natural disasters go.
CitadelDawg84
Ugacrazy said:

"Back Porch worthy"
Guess this is DawgPost worthy if we go back to the Rose Bowl?

If so, definitely DawgPost worthy!!!
sicemdawgs77
I happened to be in Northern California in 1989 when the earthquake occurred (Vallejo). It was something else.
JudgeLarryDawg
Sorry if this causes a hissy fit for the DawgPost police but you aroused my curiosity, what has Trump done to California?
champ1210
opiedawg said:

Go check out recent seismicity in Oklahoma on the USGS website. There's always a ton of them over there, due to fracking.
Is that when everyone is doing it at the same time?
opiedawg
champ1210 said:

opiedawg said:

That whole state is pretty fracked up.
opiedawg
sicemdawgs77 said:

I happened to be in Northern California in 1989 when the earthquake occurred (Vallejo). It was something else.

My wife was at a training session for a previous job back in the late 80s out in Salt Lake City. One evening, around a magnitude 6.4 hit north of there in Idaho. She and the girl she was rooming with felt their beds shake and they thought it was a couple next door getting rather amorous. They didn't realize until the next morning that it was an earthquake and that the hotel had to be evacuated for some time during the night, but they apparently never got the alarm and stayed in their room all night.
ssidedawg
Ugacrazy said:

Back Porch worthy
Apparently adding "OT" gets you a pass....lol
ssidedawg
opiedawg said:

champ1210 said:

opiedawg said:

Maybe but is Georgia some well oiled machine? At least they have far better education.
sicemdawgs77
opiedawg said:

sicemdawgs77 said:

My wife was at a training session for a previous job back in the late 80s out in Salt Lake City. One evening, around a magnitude 6.4 hit north of there in Idaho. She and the girl she was rooming with felt their beds shake and they thought it was a couple next door getting rather amorous. They didn't realize until the next morning that it was an earthquake and that the hotel had to be evacuated for some time during the night, but they apparently never got the alarm and stayed in their room all night.

Yeah, when you are not used to an earthquake, you just do not know. lol I remember the floor in the living room (I started to watch the World Series) roll like I was in the ocean. We are talking 30 years ago and I still remember. Glad your wife and the girl were not hurt in anyway.
opiedawg
ssidedawg said:

opiedawg said:

champ1210 said:

opiedawg said:

Maybe but is Georgia some well oiled machine? At least they have far better education.

Play on words. Fracking widely used in the Sooner state to extract natural gas. Also tends to cause numerous quakes.
ssidedawg
Gotcha
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.