How Southern are you?

5,986 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BIGKNINE1
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fwiw, I've eaten 30 items on this list excluding Burgoo, Oyster Casserole, Red-Eye Gravy, Liver Mush, Fatback, Fried Squirrel, Pear Salad, Chocolate Gravy, and Poke Salad.

IMO, the list should have included Banana Pudding, Biscuits & Gravy, Cheese Grits, Collard Greens, Fried Catfish, Okra, Pecan Pie, Pimento Cheese, etc.

Spacetanker Dawg
I'm at 26 and agree biscuits and gravy have to be on here. And can't believe cornbread and dressing didn't make the list either.
BirdDawg
Fried Squirel is pretty good...but Squirel is best when cooked in a pressure cooker then make a pot pie with it.
RyanJordan
Red-Eye Gravy tastes like someone dumped a pot of dark coffee onto your plate.
Newnan Dawg
You are right af, there are many more that should be listed. Of the listed items, I have enjoyed 32 of them plus all items you listed. No doubt I am southern though and through, in 1944 I was born in Atlanta. Back then, you did not have to go far to be in the country. In 1972 me, my wife and two daughters (DAWGS) moved to Newnan, Ga. where my wife and I still live.
jbranch
I've had 25 of those. I can't say all of them were good. Others are divine.

Example:
Pear Salad is great.
Congealed Salad is disgusting.

If you're having pickled pigs feet or souse, I won't fight you for it.
Dean Legge
Staff
I could score 39 of 39 and not be southern enough for my laws.
Dean Legge
Staff
Congealed Salad is worthless and yet is at every in-law celebration.

Correlation?
Dean Legge
Staff
"If you're having pickled pigs feet or souse, I won't fight you for it."

That's because they are not good.

Just because something is "southern" doesn't mean it is good food.
CummingDawg22
RyanJordan said:

Facts, It's terrible.
ahurst344
I don't really consider myself that southern, but I scored ~20.
JudgeLarryDawg
Sweet tea
Gasdawg
31. But what the hell is burgoo?
scawgdawg
Yea what is borgoo? aint lying bout being as southern as they come, but never heard of burgoo or soose! I scored 36.
Gasdawg
After a cursory google, looks like basically a pot luck stew. However, towns in Illinois and Indiana claim it's origin. So move to remove said item from list on grounds of southern ambiguity.
dawgpostsucks
scawgdawg said:

Yea what is borgoo? aint lying bout being as southern as they come, but never heard of burgoo or soose! I scored 36.
https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/kentucky_burgoo/

https://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/norman-van-akens-souse-recipe/
DawgFactor21
24. I have all of AFDs recommended additions covered and now...now I'm hungry!
UticaDawg
I've only had 11, but 5 of the 11 I ate as a kid in NY
Lamar
35 for me. Basically everything except the internal organs.

When I was a kid and killed my first deer, I did take a bite out of the heart. It was that or drink a glass of blood to be "initiated" properly. Or, so I was told by my dad.

I'm as Southern as they come I reckon. When we built our last home I wasn't happy with the AC unit the builder installed as I felt it was too small and not cooling adequately. Thought I'd be smart and put a voice activated tape recorder in my pocket as the builders AC guy came out to discuss the issue. I was gonna use our conversation as a tool to get the builder to replace the unit. Heck, I had a hard time understanding myself and couldn't believe how thick my Southern drawl was. It was embarrassing to play it back for my builder and both of us laughed at how I sounded.

Put me and one of those people from India on the phone and we both struggle mightily.
friendofbob
RyanJordan said:

I can't understand how you make red-eye gravy without country ham. Got to have the grease and essence. I am only missing 4 items but have enjoyed all on AFD's list. Also, add Senator Russell's Sweet Potato casserol, pot likker, peach, apple, or berry cobblers, and all fried meats. In my family, we country fried steak (not as much breading as chicken fried) and cooked in a cast iron skillet.
deadeyedawg
I Put Suirrel in my Brunswick Stew does that count?
UgaFann
I'm going to admit something that y'all may find disturbing. Raised in the south and ain't real fond of grits.....
friendofbob
scawgdawg said:

Served all over Louisville, KY during the Derby.
ugalee
Anybody ever had a Hot Brown? It's a Kentucky thing that is damn good:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Brown
Shelt320
All 36 . Fried Roe is excellent and turtle soap. My wife is from South Georgia and she can cook anything plus make it delicious.
Newnan Dawg
Red eye gravy made from country ham mixed in grits is great and anyone who doesn't like pickled pigs feet, have you ever tried them?
Lamar
ugalee said:

Anybody ever had a Hot Brown? It's a Kentucky thing that is damn good:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Brown
If it is the turkey/bacon sandwich with the sauce I've had it and it was good.

A girl/chef from the state of Kentucky made it during one of last seasons episodes of Top Chef and wowed the judges with it.
StalkinDawg
AFD...where's the white dirt on this list?
sicemdawgs77
I scored 29. As AFD said, they left off some really good ones that should be on the list (Banana Pudding, Biscuits & Gravy, Cheese Grits, Collard Greens, Fried Catfish, Okra, Pecan Pie, Pimento Cheese).

All of the ones AFD listed, I have had many times over. :-)
Bulldawg1
30+....and like OP said, some of the real Southern stuff is not here. If you haven't had fried Cornbread, fried Brim, cheese grits, and homemade sweet potato fries....I'm not sure if you are really Southern. Add "okra and tomatoes" (with lots of onions) too.
PurpleBrave
SoCalTrojanDawg
I am a sho'nuff, slap yo' momma good Southerner par excellence! I've eaten 29 of the 39 items listed at least once, most several times.

As Bon Appetit Magazine said one time, "the French consider Southern cooking to be the only true American cuisine."

I believe it!
dawgpostsucks
Bulldawg1 said:

30+....and like OP said, some of the real Southern stuff is not here. If you haven't had fried Cornbread, fried Brim, cheese grits, and homemade sweet potato fries....I'm not sure if you are really Southern. Add "okra and tomatoes" (with lots of onions) too.
In the late 70s I lived on Moody AFB in Valdosta, GA. In the base housing area there was a pond I used to fish at. Using a cane pole with some compressed white bread balls attached to the lure, I'd catch dozens of brim (bream) in no time flat. I'd then put those in a bucket and take them home. After gutting and deboning those fish, I'd fry them up and they tasted pretty good.

As an aside, I suckered/cropped/hung tobacco and picked zuchini, okra, acorn squash, etc. for three summers in Hahira. As I recall, I never had tea as sweet as the one the farmer's wife June Strawder used to make.

P.S. I love okra/tomatoes/onions.
Zoesdawg69
31. Still waiting to try fried squirrel. But not really
Dooley
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.